Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Belgium and Luxembourg  (Read 2642 times)

rickruss

Belgium and Luxembourg
« on: September 03, 2008, 12:08:24 pm »

I will be in Europe on business in late September and intend to visit Bruge and Gent in Belgium, and Luxembourg City.  Other than the canals and architecture, is there anything else I should be aware of as a possible subject?  With regard to the churches, is it possible to set up a tripod to shoot?  I ask because I will be shooting with a large format camera.

Rick Russell

Bart Heirweg

• http://www.bartheirweg.com
Belgium and Luxembourg
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:40:57 pm »

I'm not a architecture photographer, but I do live in Ghent. I don't think setting up a tripod in certain Churches will be a problem, since you will probably have to pay for entry. Sint-Baafs churche will probably be the most impressive, but also attracts most tourist, so I don't know how easy it will be to take photographs without beeing disturbed to much.
You should certainly visit the old part of Gent near the "Graslei", "Korenlei" and the castle "Gravensteen". I think this is the most beautiful part of Ghent, especially by night, when you get reflections of the buildings and their lights in the water.
If you want some more information don't hesitate to contact me.
Visit my website: www.bartheirweg.com

oeleke

• www.raoulsomers.lu
Belgium and Luxembourg
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:17:25 pm »

Hi Rick,

I live in Luxembourg.(born in amsterdam)
And have my studio near the centre.
The old town (grund) is very nice to take pictures of, the big church in the city centre is nice also.
Never heard that you have to pay to visit a church?
When you are in town give me a call, we have a coffee together (if i'm free on that day).

Regards,

Raoul.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Belgium and Luxembourg
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:54:17 pm »

I think that spending at least one day in Brussels would be very rewarding also. The historical center is impressive and the city has some of the best museums in Europe.

Around Brugge there are very fine bicycle trips along canals that I like a lot. They provide nice photograph opportunities on the low lands.

If you have the chance to travel by car, there are some worthwile castles to visit on the way to Luxembourg, my personnal favourite being a small castle called "Chateau de Modave" famous for having been the test ground for the Versailles garden hydraulic systems.

http://www.modave-castle.be/Anglais/Intro.html

I would also try to arrange a visit to a beer brewery. You have several options available in different parts of the country.

Have fun.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up