Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 on sale in canada  (Read 5317 times)

ScottN99

z3100 on sale in canada
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:24:04 am »

I just thought some of my fellow Canucks might like to know that the HP z3100 printers seem to be on sale until Sep ? (date?).  Depending on the model and dealer seems to be anywhere from $1000-$2157 off.  I just got my tracking number for my 24" model from Cendirect.com (no affiliation).  Check pricecanada or one of the other price check sites for some other dealers.

Total for me was: $2167 + $12.95 shipping + $8 "environmental fee" + GST = 2297.35 delivered.

I've been eyeing up the z3100 for months now and this has pushed me over the edge - finally replacing my 4800 so I can print a bit larger and not have to pay the Epson tax to switch from matte to photo black....

Hope this is the right forum - if not my apologies.

Scott N.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:07:04 pm by ScottN99 »

Geoff Wittig

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 12:02:41 pm »

I just thought some of my fellow Canucks might like to know that the HP z3100 printers seem to be on sale until Sep 5th (date?).  Depending on the model and dealer seems to be anywhere from $1000-$2157 off.  I just got my tracking number for my 24" model from Cendirect.com (no affiliation).  Check pricecanada or one of the other price check sites for some other dealers.

Total for me was: $2167 + $12.95 shipping + $8 "environmental fee" + GST = 2297.35 delivered!

I've been eyeing up the z3100 for months now and this has pushed me over the edge - finally replacing my 4800 so I can print a bit larger and not have to pay the Epson tax to switch from matte to photo black!

Hope this is the right forum - if not my apologies!

Scott N.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcome to the cult; you won't be disappointed by print quality. Reading here you may get the impression that the Z is a can of worms, but I've had little trouble and good experiences with HP service.

marty m

• http://
z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:31:26 pm »

I've been eyeing up the z3100 for months now and this has pushed me over the edge - finally replacing my 4800 so I can print a bit larger and not have to pay the Epson tax to switch from matte to photo black....
Scott N.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Look up the posts in this forum on the starwheels and pinch rollers.  Those posts include photos of those new parts.  Compare the photos to the parts in your printer and be certain that your new printer includes those parts.  (The new starwheels include black plastic pieces at the ends to raise and lower them, and the replacement pinch rollers are tan and not black.)

Yes, there are those who will respond and say that the new parts are not necessary and their own printers with the original parts work just fine.  But there are just as many who have reported problems with some papers using the original parts, and subsequently reported that the new parts solved their problems.

You have spent thousands of dollars on a new printer, so it is crazy to get it without the up to date parts.

My recommendation, posted in other threads, is that this be a condition of the sale -- that the printer have the new parts when delivered.  That puts the onus on the retailer to get the parts replaced at their shop, thus saving you from the hassle.

Since it may be too late for that, but presumably you are still within a 30 day return window, you need to insist that the retailer arrange for the part replacement if that is necessary.  Let the retailer deal with the hassle of arranging for the part replacement with HP.

I don't know what HP service and tech support is like in Canada.  In the US some have arranged for the part replacement with no problems.  Others have been really jerked around, and told they have to supply test prints proving they have a problem  despite the fact that HP knows the original parts are defective, for why else did they make replacement parts?

HP began replacing those parts on the original Z3100 series many months ago.  Your new printer should include the new parts.  If it does not, then insisting that the retailer arrange for the replacement of the parts is entirely reasonable.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:32:42 pm by marty m »

ScottN99

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:13:55 am »

Thanks for the advice - you can bet I will be calling if my unit doesn't already have the new bits installed.

Scott.

Look up the posts in this forum on the starwheels and pinch rollers.  Those posts include photos of those new parts.  Compare the photos to the parts in your printer and be certain that your new printer includes those parts.  (The new starwheels include black plastic pieces at the ends to raise and lower them, and the replacement pinch rollers are tan and not black.)

Yes, there are those who will respond and say that the new parts are not necessary and their own printers with the original parts work just fine.  But there are just as many who have reported problems with some papers using the original parts, and subsequently reported that the new parts solved their problems.

You have spent thousands of dollars on a new printer, so it is crazy to get it without the up to date parts.

My recommendation, posted in other threads, is that this be a condition of the sale -- that the printer have the new parts when delivered.  That puts the onus on the retailer to get the parts replaced at their shop, thus saving you from the hassle.

Since it may be too late for that, but presumably you are still within a 30 day return window, you need to insist that the retailer arrange for the part replacement if that is necessary.  Let the retailer deal with the hassle of arranging for the part replacement with HP.

I don't know what HP service and tech support is like in Canada.  In the US some have arranged for the part replacement with no problems.  Others have been really jerked around, and told they have to supply test prints proving they have a problem  despite the fact that HP knows the original parts are defective, for why else did they make replacement parts?

HP began replacing those parts on the original Z3100 series many months ago.  Your new printer should include the new parts.  If it does not, then insisting that the retailer arrange for the replacement of the parts is entirely reasonable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fastfocus

• http://www.garygoldbergphoto.com/blog/
z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:52:29 pm »

Thanks for the advice - you can bet I will be calling if my unit doesn't already have the new bits installed.

Scott.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219347\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hey scott,
I would be interested in finding out your experience with that retailer supporting those newer parts, as I'm considering buying this printer as well, from that dealer.
Keep us up to date.

Thanks
Gary
Gary Goldberg
 [url=http://www.garygoldbe

ScottN99

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 05:06:30 pm »

Hi Gary,

No problem - I'll post an update when it arrives - hopefully Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Scott.

Hey scott,
I would be interested in finding out your experience with that retailer supporting those newer parts, as I'm considering buying this printer as well, from that dealer.
Keep us up to date.

Thanks
Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

marty m

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 08:11:50 pm »

Hey scott,
Keep us up to date.

Thanks
Gary
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Gary, I repeat below a posting I made in another thread.  One of your key considerations, IMHO, is whether you are using a Mac or PC.

One more bit of advice. Based on my own experience, as well as others, my conclusion is that the Z3100 does not work well with windows. Again, search all the postings and don't take my word for it. There have been serious and systemic failures reported related to using the printer with Vista and XP. Now, today, someone else is having problems with the HP drivers and XP. Again.

See this thread for an example of the problems:

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=22689&st=0#entry169828]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....t=0#entry169828[/url]

I'm sure that some people running XP or Vista have managed to get the 3100 working OK. The problem is the great variability of Windows systems. It is a crap shoot as to whether you will be in the winners or losers column with the Z3100 if you are using Windows, since the development team in Spain replicated, but did not solve, these problems. We just don't know why the printer works on some Windows PCs and not on others.

At the time that I was having these problems, others in the forum reported that US tech support flatly asserted that the Z3100 would not work with Vista.  And actually told someone to return an HP PC with Vista loaded!  Obviously the 3100 does work with Vista, because some have been successful in that regard.  It only illustrates the crap shoot and whether you end up in the winners or losers column.

Bottom line -- my sincere advice -- after great pain and hours of headaches -- is to buy the Z3100 only if you are using a Mac. Then you will at least avoid the problems reported in all of the postings related to Windows.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:26:54 pm by marty m »

Fastfocus

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 12:34:44 pm »

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the posts.
I'm on a Mac.
I'm seriously considering this still.
Scott did you get your printer delivered yet?
Keep us updated.
thanks
Gary
Gary Goldberg

ScottN99

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:55:12 pm »

The printer arrived this afternoon - Unfortunately I'm on my way out of town for 2-5 days and won't have time to crack it open until I get back.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the posts.
I'm on a Mac.
I'm seriously considering this still.
Scott did you get your printer delivered yet?
Keep us updated.
thanks
Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

marty m

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 12:55:07 am »

The printer arrived this afternoon - Unfortunately I'm on my way out of town for 2-5 days and won't have time to crack it open until I get back.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So what was the result?  Did it include the new star wheels and pinch rollers?  Are the new parts included in Z3100s that are now shipping?

Fastfocus

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:10:19 am »

Yeah I'm curious to. Any further results on printer arriving okay from this vendor, any shipping problems, and did the printer include the newer parts.
I'm probably going to purchase one this week, either from this vendor or Mondrian hall.
Thanks
GG
Gary Goldberg

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:17:01 am »

Yeah I'm curious to. Any further results on printer arriving okay from this vendor, any shipping problems, and did the printer include the newer parts.
I'm probably going to purchase one this week, either from this vendor or Mondrian hall.
Thanks
GG
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There was a blurb on the HP Photokina site today that Ernst posted. New reds, the ones that should have been there before will surely make their way into a new one. What else is yet to be seen.
I won't say that the Z isn't good, but think it's best to see what the new ones have, and how that will further affect the pricing before you jump the gun.

marty m

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:33:15 pm »

Thanks
GG
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree with Neil.  

But if you can't wait --

I do NOT assume the new parts are included. Again, make that a condition of the sale and have it ON THE SALES RECEIPT -- that the new parts will be installed in the printer WHEN YOU RECEIVE IT.  It is their job to ensure it has the new parts or install them.  Not yours to deal with HP.

DotCom Editor

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 11:10:50 pm »

Z3200 is almost here.

I posted a note earlier saying that the reds would get better.

This is already on the public HP US Web site. The actual product announcement is scheduled for Sept. 23. This is the only ink and printhead change, as far as I can determine. Everything else stays with the existing #70 ink set.

CD949A HP 73 Matte Black and Red Printhead  DesignJet Z3200 Series

CD950S HP 73 Red 69 ml Ink Cartridge DesignJet Z3200 Series

CD951A HP 73 Red 130 ml Ink Cartridge DesignJet Z3200 Series

CD952A HP 73 Red Ink Cartridge Twin Pack

ScottN99

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 12:53:15 am »

OK - I got some time to get the z3100 set up today.  From what I can determine the unit I received came with the old pinch rollers (they are black - new ones are tan?).  I'm not sure about the star wheels - I'll assume they are also the old style as they don't seem to have any sort of height adjustment available.  Are these the things I should be checking for?

What is the "best" HP paper for checking for problems?  If a problem shows itself I would assume that it's best to have a problem sheet of HP paper to show to HP support.

Ernst Dinkla

z3100 on sale in canada
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 02:43:58 am »

Z3200 is almost here.

I posted a note earlier saying that the reds would get better.

This is already on the public HP US Web site. The actual product announcement is scheduled for Sept. 23. This is the only ink and printhead change, as far as I can determine. Everything else stays with the existing #70 ink set.

CD949A HP 73 Matte Black and Red Printhead  DesignJet Z3200 Series

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting to see that they had to chance the head as well. Could it be that the red head now prints with 4 picoliter droplets while the Z3100 used 6 picoliter for Red ?

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]
Pages: [1]   Go Up