Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dove Lake Cradle Mountain Tasmania  (Read 4396 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Dove Lake Cradle Mountain Tasmania
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:13:32 am »

Back from 6 days shooting in and around Cradle Mountain in Tasmania  - which was amazing.

Had some very inclement weather - 5 out of the 6 days were completely socked in and clouded over, misty, foggy and raining. I did get one perfectly clear morning that was still as a mill pond and the resulting photograph is the result.

I suffered for this frame - hiking 4kms each way every morning in the dark, wind, rain and cold for 5 days and just got lucky on the 5th day with the right combination of lack of wind with a clear morning to get a perfect reflection.

The second shot was taken about 120kms from Cradle mountain on Paradise Road. I had hoped to get a perfect reflection of Mount Roland in the dam with the fence leading the eye into the shot. But I didnt get the clear morning needed. So this shot is not how I envisaged it in my minds eye. I felt color didnt add anything to the shot so converted it to Monochrome.

Both shots with Canon 1DS MK3 w/ 16-35m F2.8L ISO100 P/P LR2.0

Comments welcome and appreciated.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:52:17 pm »

228 views... not one comment....... Are these no good?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:34:31 pm »

228 views... not one comment....... Are these no good?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219297\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I like the second shot much better than the first. Suffering (I assume the top carpark was closed) does not mean anything to the viewer and whilst certainly a pleasant shot this exact angle is pretty much the 'usual' shot of Dove Lake. It's a pity the weather was so clear for this frame - some serious cloud drama could have lifted it above the norm.  Having said that, it's hard for me to to see past such a familiar subject so please don't take this the wrong way!

The second shot is much better, with more thought and a better composition. I like the clouds - very Tasmania - although possibly the fence could occupy more of the frame. I'd also be inclined to remove the small stump in the water, either by cropping or (shock) cloning. Very nice tonality too, a good B+W conversion.

Just my 2c, since you asked!
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Ray

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »

I've never been to Tasmania, probably because the cold, damp weather would remind me too much of English weather.

I like Dove lake. Very picture-postcard. Is that a boat in the far distance?

I'm not sure it helps the composition to have part of the reflection obscured by the boulder in the foreground. A shot from a slightly more elevated position might have been better.

Josh-H

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:04:27 pm »

I like the second shot much better than the first. Suffering (I assume the top carpark was closed) does not mean anything to the viewer and whilst certainly a pleasant shot this exact angle is pretty much the 'usual' shot of Dove Lake. It's a pity the weather was so clear for this frame - some serious cloud drama could have lifted it above the norm.  Having said that, it's hard for me to to see past such a familiar subject so please don't take this the wrong way!

The second shot is much better, with more thought and a better composition. I like the clouds - very Tasmania - although possibly the fence could occupy more of the frame. I'd also be inclined to remove the small stump in the water, either by cropping or (shock) cloning. Very nice tonality too, a good B+W conversion.

Just my 2c, since you asked!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Appreciate the comments. I know it doesnt mean anything to the viewer to pass on commentary - but what the heck :-) Makes it a little more interesting.

I agree with your thoughts - I prefer the 2nd shot as well.

Cheers,
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:06:23 pm »

I've never been to Tasmania, probably because the cold, damp weather would remind me too much of English weather.

I like Dove lake. Very picture-postcard. Is that a boat in the far distance?

I'm not sure it helps the composition to have part of the reflection obscured by the boulder in the foreground. A shot from a slightly more elevated position might have been better.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219306\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cheers - thanks for the comments.

No, not a boat - a small island from memory.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up