Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax 645 questions  (Read 9585 times)

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:34:08 pm »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-645-AF-OUTFIT-8...1QQcmdZViewItem

I was looking at that (it will probably be re-listed).  I'm curious if anyone can guess the manufactured date of that camera and if it's the latest version of the contax line (before they gave up the ghost).

I'm still debating between a mamiya rz67, mamiya 645 afd ii, or a contax 645.
the contax seem to be such a bargan MF camera.

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
Contax 645 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:33:32 am »

the contax 645 was introduced arround the year 2000 and there is only one version of the contax 645. and yes, the contax is a bargain, its handling and build quality is the best i know. i can´t wait to get a back for it but it is just too expensive for me right now.
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:53:54 am »

ok, then why Kyocera stop making them if this is what everyone thinks?

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Contax 645 questions
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

ok, then why Kyocera stop making them if this is what everyone thinks?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They didn't stop making them because they were crappy cameras--just like Leica didn't stop making the M3 because it sucked; or Hasselblad, the original 500 series.

Technology accelerated the demise of the Contax line. For many photographers, DSLR's make more sense and offer more value, and can do much of what the Contax (with film or a digital back) can do, at greater value.

I own the Contax 645 and most of the lenses and accessories, along with a creaky old Kodak ProBack. It is a fabulous camera and the back is quite workable within its limitations.
michael sebast

R(Vienna)

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:58:46 am »

I also have the contax 645 with various lenses and i think you have many advantages

1.) good second hand market, many lenses for good money
2.) if you are afraid that the cam can go down, buy a second body... ;-)
3.) you can attach any digitalback (except Hassy 3...)
4.) good ol zeiss lenses, i like them very much
5.) good handling, just like a normal 35mm SLR
6.) with the battery grip good power concept, with only this crappy battery a little annoying
7.) 120 macro, very good lens!!

best thing would be, go out, try it (many rent shops still have them..) and then get yourself a picture...

have fun

robb

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Contax 645 questions
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:31:35 am »

They didn't stop making them because they were crappy cameras--just like Leica didn't stop making the M3 because it sucked; or Hasselblad, the original 500 series.

Technology accelerated the demise of the Contax line. For many photographers, DSLR's make more sense and offer more value, and can do much of what the Contax (with film or a digital back) can do, at greater value.

I own the Contax 645 and most of the lenses and accessories, along with a creaky old Kodak ProBack. It is a fabulous camera and the back is quite workable within its limitations.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218915\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've shot a billion frames with mine and have no issues, other than the battery use is semi high (2 a day under very heavy shooting) and the flash sync between 1/90th to 1/125th depending on the flash duration.

The viewfinder with the prism and a 1.26 crop is somewhat small compared to the HY6 and the H1, even a little smaller than the new Mamiya.

Other than that they are built like a tank and the lenses are amazingly sharp, actually too sharp for a lot of my work.

In fact if the new Mamiya had the build quality, fast lenses, right angle grip and removable prism like the Contax there would be banner headlines.  They are the only medium format camera with a digital interface that has a right angle grip.

Given all of this would I recommmend it today?  Probably not.   The viewfinder and flash sync can really get in the way, even in studio in controlled conditions.  

Will I sell them today.  Probably not, Probably never.   Overall they do the job really well, the right angle grip makes a day of vertical shooting easy and I love the fact they have real shutter and f stop controls.

You can easily handhold an 80mm and 1/30th and keep everything sharp.  They are very smooth.

With the Phase backs they are bulletproof.  I rarely have a crash or a miscommunication.  

When we work with outside techs they always end the day amazed we have no connection issues.

The secret to this is to keep the contacts clean and polished.  We do it before every project.

Now I don't know this as fact, but I've been told there are two firmware versions of the Contax.  The early one had higher battery use, the later ones less.  Once again, there are no facts on this.

I have 4 bodies and all pretty much act the same.  

The two things to look out for are the sound.  You can tell if a Contax is worn out because the mirror will make a more pronounced slapping noise.  Not that it effects the image, it just doesn't sound as smooth.

The second thing is the way the prism mounts on the body.  Under rough use it will crack the mounts on the prims or if someone yanks the camera up by the prism.  You can't tell it's cracked, but you will connection issues if it is.  When traveling we take the prisms off the body and have no issues with breaking.

Don't misread this as you have to be gentle with these cameras because overall they are very, very, strong.

Still, for the money there a hell of a deal.

JR
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:37:36 am by James R Russell »

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:43 pm »

hm... I'm less worried about getting a contax now.
$1150-1300 will get me a kit.
then I just have to get
1) waist level hood
2) a macro
3) this battery grip thing
4) moar film

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:46:51 pm »

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-rolls-Shanghai-B-W-...1QQcmdZViewItem

question, that "crappy" b/w film says that 120 6x45 will do 16 shots. how does the photo-advance work on the contax? my rolleicord will only do 0-12. when you load a film like that into the contax, will it know 16 automatically or does it just keep shooting until the film is all gone?  I was curious about that cause I've never uses 220 film and if I put it in my rolleicord, it would still only go from 0-12.  I heard you can modify the rolleicords to take 220.

mikeseb

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »

I've shot a billion frames with mine and have no issues,
JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218932\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

@James: I got garbled in my own fractured syntax a few posts back. I was inelegantly trying to make the point that crappiness didn't get the cameras discontinued; but rather, forces in the photographic industry that have dimished the appeal and sales of MF cameras of all stripes.

The images I get from the Contax, even with a years-out-of-date Kodak DCS Pro 645C, are incredible. The smoothness of tone and accuracy of skin tone reproduction are stunning.

@revaaron: film advance is motorized and automatic. You have to set the film holder (fits within the film back) to either 120 or 220; once you've done that and loaded a roll (pretty easy BTW) you press the shutter and the roll advances to the starting point. You get 16 shots with 120 and I presume 32 with 220 (never shot 220 myself). Once you've shot the last frame it advances until the film is entirely taken upon the takeup spool. Reload and you're good to go.

It won't let you remove a back without proper darkslide insertion, nor shoot a frame with the darkslide in place.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:53:08 pm by mikeseb »
michael sebast

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 01:04:16 pm »

I looked at one of the backs opened up. Looks a hell of a lot different compared to the old rolleicord. now that I see there might be the need for a battery grip, I'm sort of looking for that now.

MF cameras seem like the answer to my problem with my DSLRs.  Every stinking year, I buy a new DSLR.  With MF/Film, you don't really "need" to do that.

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 01:05:45 pm »

how much different is the Kodak back compared to a SLR/n?
I love my SLR/n. best daylight camera I've ever used.

tho_mas

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 01:30:47 pm »

1) waist level hood[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This one will be a bit harder to find. But it's worth looking for it!!
4) moar film[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
what is that? The vacuum film holder? Too, not that easy to find... Also the bellows lens hood is rare. And the original screens but you will get very good screens at "brightscreen".
The rest should be possible to find within a few days...

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 02:00:20 pm »

moar film is the hip new internet way of saying "more film"
I've been given a bunch of 120 film (16 rolls from one person and 10 from another) I need to find more (or moar) people with iceboxes that they stocked up on 120/220 and then never used.  It's funny that after so many years of shooting digital, I'm progressing and regressing. I can't wait to attempt developing my own film.
I really really want to do some cross processing.

tho_mas

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 02:31:55 pm »

moar film is the hip new internet way of saying "more film"[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218969\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
great :-))

evgeny

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 03:41:34 pm »

how much different is the Kodak back compared to a SLR/n?
I love my SLR/n. best daylight camera I've ever used.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218958\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I shoot Contax 645 with Sinarback 54M, and another Contax 645 with film back loaded with slide and b/w films.

What I like in Contax 645 is Quality of image
1. Higher quality of images. I sold my Nikon F6.
2. MF lenses deliver more pleasant images than my Nikon 70-200 and 17-35 pro lenses.
3. Digital back outperforms both film and digital in 35mm format.

What I don't like in Contax 645 comparing to a DSLR is a luck of latest features
1. No VR.
2. Hard to autofocus in low light.
3. Lower flash sync speed.

I always have 2-3 spare rechargeable batteries, they are light, I sold my Contax grip.

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 02:25:53 am »

I'm about to look at the batteries.
what are they? I heard they were some "weird" battery.

evgeny

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 03:21:23 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They are about same size and weight as Nikon battery. Buy 2-3 rechargeables, this will be enough to shoot all day long, you can recharge each about 300 times.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:22:18 am by evgeny »

mikeseb

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 08:50:31 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Contax uses 2CR5 Lithium batteries in its body; AA's in the grip (another reason to use the grip!)

I second the suggestion to use the rechargeable lithiums. In the US, [a href=\"http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/lenmar-nomem-2cr5-lithium-rechargeable-battery-charger-2cr5-rechargeable-lithium-battery-system-p-781.html?osCsid=ivacrc8v90b2edqghpnpvq0843]you can get them here[/url].
michael sebast

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
Contax 645 questions
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 09:17:51 am »

The Contax uses 2CR5 Lithium batteries in its body; AA's in the grip (another reason to use the grip!)

I second the suggestion to use the rechargeable lithiums. In the US, you can get them here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219145\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i use too the rechargeable batteries. have the grip as well if someone wants to buy it PM me ....
i dont use the grip anymore cause the rechargeable 2CR5s last pretty well,- as said above 2 or 3 for one day and i like things with little wight, so this is theway for me to go.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

revaaron

Contax 645 questions
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 10:01:36 am »

yeah, I usually run to thomasdistrib for everything.

will this lens work on the contax 645?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-Yashica-Fit-80-...bayphotohosting
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up