Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why aren't my images sorting properly?  (Read 5314 times)

rickshanahan

Why aren't my images sorting properly?
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:03:11 pm »

Hello, I just finished shooting a wedding with two Canon camera bodies.  The clocks in the cameras were synced--close enough, down to the minute.  When I imported from the two CF cards the Library module view shows all the images from one camera, then all the images from the second, even though I have the 'sort' on the bottom of the screen set to 'capture time'.  Why aren't all the images sorting in chronological order by capture time??

Thank you!

rickshanahan

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:43:23 pm »

Have you looked at the actual time stamps in the metadata in the library module? I have the same issue with My Canon and an AFD/Aptus. Both cameras are set to the same time within seconds and the Leaf shows up way off, by hours. Can't figure out why.

I like LR 2, but to be quite honest, there are bugs all throughout that I have run into.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did check, the metadata is good.  It just doesn't sort all the images by the capture time.  I really don't think it's a bug.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:27:53 am »

What happens if you toggle the A-Z button in the toolbar?
Eric Chan

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 01:09:09 pm »

I have a question on ingesting images. How does one ingest from the card so that they appear in the sequence that I captured them? Do I have to manually do this afterward? Example. I shoot NFL games and almost always shoot sequence frames. Bursts of 3 to 8 or 9 fps. However on ingesting from the card (into LR) they sometimes show up out of sequence(out of order). How do I get them to display in order, automatically, or is that not possible? I'm still on 1.4(but plan to install my upgrade).
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

HDProman

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:42:18 am »

I have a question on ingesting images. How does one ingest from the card so that they appear in the sequence that I captured them? Do I have to manually do this afterward? Example. I shoot NFL games and almost always shoot sequence frames. Bursts of 3 to 8 or 9 fps. However on ingesting from the card (into LR) they sometimes show up out of sequence(out of order). How do I get them to display in order, automatically, or is that not possible? I'm still on 1.4(but plan to install my upgrade).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218717\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Keith,

I have posted before about this very thing and never got an answer on how to import in filename sequence. I have updated to Lightroom 2 and this behavior has not changed. Apparently Lightroom does something no one understands when it sees a capture time that is the same on ten images. I noticed this as soon as I started using Lightroom 1 with my 20D and then with the 40D. Now I shoot kids soccer with a 1D MarkIII and may have ten images all with the same capture time.
My current workflow is not to rename on import, sort by file name after importing and rename with custom name and original image number. My files are always in the correct capture sequence using this method.
It is interesting that Adobe Bridge does not mix up captures with identical capture times, it always imports in filename sequence. I don’t know why Adobe has changed this in Lightroom and so far nobody has any answers. I would like to be able to choose how Lightroom handles images with identical capture times.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:02:41 am »

As I understand it, the issue with LR is that it has a primary sort key but not a secondary one. So if two images match up (i.e., with the same time) for the primary sort then it's undefined in what order they'll actually show up, since there isn't a secondary sort (e.g., via filenames). Hopefully this will be addressed but I really don't know at this point.
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:03:21 am »

BTW you can sort by filename but that won't work with multiple bodies.
Eric Chan

Bill J

• http://
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:50 pm »

...since there isn't a secondary sort (e.g., via filenames). Hopefully this will be addressed but I really don't know at this point.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would love to see a secondary sort key in Lightroom and Bridge.

rickshanahan

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 08:30:43 am »

Well, I figured out the problem.  One camera body was set to PM, the other to AM.  *slaps forehead*

Hello, I just finished shooting a wedding with two Canon camera bodies.  The clocks in the cameras were synced--close enough, down to the minute.  When I imported from the two CF cards the Library module view shows all the images from one camera, then all the images from the second, even though I have the 'sort' on the bottom of the screen set to 'capture time'.  Why aren't all the images sorting in chronological order by capture time??

Thank you!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218598\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up