Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 58XL and/or 72XL on digital  (Read 6106 times)

micek

Schneider 58XL and/or 72XL on digital
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:26:11 am »

Hi, I am currently shooting digitally with an Alpa XY + Schneider's 24, 35 and 47mm lenses. I am looking for a slighter longer focal length with a large enough image circle that would enable me to use it with a 6x9 film back as well.  
Has anyone here had any experience with either the 58XL or the 72XL in combination with a digital sensor?
Thanks for any input.

BobDavid

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:50:45 am »

Hi, I am currently shooting digitally with an Alpa XY + Schneider's 24, 35 and 47mm lenses. I am looking for a slighter longer focal length with a large enough image circle that would enable me to use it with a 6x9 film back as well. 
Has anyone here had any experience with either the 58XL or the 72XL in combination with a digital sensor?
Thanks for any input.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The Schneider 72mm Digitar is a terrific performer. I use it with a CF39 MS. It's sharp and contrasty.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:27:53 am »

I have a Alpa 47mm that is terrific but I am looking to go wider . I would love to trade you either for the 24mm which i would want or even the 35mm. Of course any money difference as well. Please contact me guymancuso AT cox.net

Mine is brand new 2 months old and just landed several interior gigs and would love wider

BTW the 47mm XL has the biggest image circle of all of them

Darn just noticed you have the 47mm already. Bummer
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:33:26 am by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

micek

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:33:04 am »

Thanks Bob, but I am interested in the 58XL and 72XL Super Angulons, the large format lenses (digital lenses have an image circle that is too small for significant movements on film), and what their performance might be when combined with a digital sensor.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:34:17 am »

There is a 72mm on e-bay I saw yesterday.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

micek

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 11:40:33 am »

Guy, thanks for the offer, but I am not switching from digital to film, I want to shoot both, so I am looking to add a couple of lenses to those I already have. Basically, I am interested in the 58XL and the 72XL because their image circle is plenty for movements with a 6x9 film back but I would also like to use them as longer focal lengths with my Aptus back. My worry is that some film lenses are good performers with digital and some are not. So that's why I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with them shooting digitally.

micek

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:44:26 am »

[/QUOTE]There is a 72mm on e-bay I saw yesterday.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:46:26 am by micek »

j.miller

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 03:27:44 pm »

micek,
      I cannot speak for the Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/72mm XL, as I have not personally seen one adapted for use on the ALPA 12 platform. Having seen the Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/58mm XL, I would not specifically recommend it for use with today digital backs that exceed 22MP in resolution.

Have you considered the Schneider Super-Symmar 4.5/80mm XL Aspheric? This lens offers some technical improvements over the classic Super-Angulon design, lacks noticeable color fringing, and offer enough shift reserve to easily cover the 6x9cm format while allowing for reasonable movements on the ALPA 12 XY. If memory serves, this lens offers an image circle diameter of 150mm at maximum aperture, and approx 200mm at f/22. I do recall this lens is ideally used in conjunction with a center filter (IIIb?).

I know you are not looking for an APO-Digitar, but I must agree with the other posters, as the Schneider APO-Digitar 5.6/72mm L is a phenomenal lens for use with today ultra-high resolution digital backs. However it lack the image circle needed to cover anything above 6x6cm.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Thanks for any input.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:02:30 am by JEM_DTG »

micek

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 04:37:50 pm »

Thank you Jordan for your recommendations. It looks as if the best route is a set of lenses for digital and another for film work.
micek,
      I cannot speak for the Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/72mm XL, as I have not personally seen one adapted for use on the ALPA 12 platform. Having seen the Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/58mm XL, I would not specifically recommend it for use with today digital backs that exceed 22MP in resolution.

Have you considered the Schneider Super-Symmar 4.5/80mm XL Aspheric? This lens offers some technical improvements over the classic Super-Angulon design, lacks noticeable color fringing, and offer enough shift reserve to easily cover the 6x9cm format while allowing for reasonable movements on the ALPA 12 XY. If memory serves, this lens offers an image circle diameter of 150mm at maximum aperture, and approx 200mm at f/22. I do recall this lens is ideally used in conjunction with a center filter (IIIb?).

I know you are not looking for an APO-Digitar, but I must agree with the other posters, as the Schneider APO-Digitar 5.6/72mm L is a phenomenal lens for use with today ultra-high resolution digital backs. However it lack the image circle needed to cover anything above 6x6cm.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218542\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pixjohn

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 11:56:22 pm »

I use a 58xl on my Cambo wide DS with an Aptus 75 and the files look great. I would consider the 72xl because of the longer focal length over the 58xl since you already have a 47xl. My next lens will be the 72xl.

BobDavid

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 02:52:13 pm »

The Rodenstock 70mm digital lens has an impressive image circle. If I remember correctly, it's 120mm. It is a super sharp lens and displays high contrast with no CA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up