Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing a z3100 for one year  (Read 2172 times)

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
Storing a z3100 for one year
« on: August 31, 2008, 08:07:03 am »

I'm likely to be away for a year doing volunteer work and am wondering as to the best method of undertaking storage of my z3100?

With kind regards

Mehdi
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 08:35:05 am »

I'm likely to be away for a year doing volunteer work and am wondering as to the best method of undertaking storage of my z3100?

With kind regards
Mehdi
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd take the print heads out and place them in individual ziplock backs with a wet sponge in each. I'd then try to put the ink tube plugs back in again. If you don't have them, fill them with something like a silicone tube that is pinched off sealing it from air.
Less easy, clean off the wipers if you can.
The other possibility is just leave it on. It won't use any more ink than when you plug in the old print heads, and has no risk.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:41:50 am »

I have a slightly different scenario, but am also trying to decide how best to approach it.  I'm moving from San Francisco to Hawaii with my Z3100 and will be shipping it with my other belongings in a 40' container.  It will have to go down a flight of stairs, then travel a couple of thousand miles across the Pacific on a ship.  It will be out of service a minimum of three weeks.

Would the same advice hold for my situation?

Thanks,
Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:52:44 am »

Why not just sell your printer and then buy a new one when you get relocated?

Whatever money you lose in selling a used printer will probably be less expensive than trying to pack and ship a z3100 several thousand miles. I doubt your printer will survive the trip undamaged anyway. I've had more than a few friends ship things in containers from Europe to U.S. and not one has had a smooth transition, i.e. something has always been damaged.

The most recent was a friend who moved over 40 paintings and a lot of antiques from Portugal to the U.S. The shipping company punched a hole in the container which then allowed rain in!

The only way I would ship a z from San Francisco to Hawaii would be if it was on its original pallet and had never been unpacked.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:41:20 am »

I have a slightly different scenario, but am also trying to decide how best to approach it.  I'm moving from San Francisco to Hawaii with my Z3100 and will be shipping it with my other belongings in a 40' container.  It will have to go down a flight of stairs, then travel a couple of thousand miles across the Pacific on a ship.  It will be out of service a minimum of three weeks.

Would the same advice hold for my situation?

Thanks,
Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I let my Z 44" go I just packed it up in the original shipping box. I put all the stops and blocks back in place aided by the set up diagrams and those I made with my P+S Canon. It shipped perfectly well with no problems. I did have concerns about the glycol though in the maintenance tank if the printer was turned on it's side etc. For that maybe a fill in the area around the position band/tape with a lot of paper towel. The printer can tolerate ink and glycol almost everywhere BUT the position band.

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:21:40 pm »

I've been away from my printer for two months so far and won't see it until January. I just made sure there was enough ink it and left it on. I'll let you know how it all works out.

cheers,
Paul Litherland

petermarrek

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:09:51 pm »

Just to throw a bit more into the mix, I go sailing for the winter months. the printer is not coming along and will have to endure -35 degree cold here in northern Ontario. According to the spec sheet it can. I plan to remove the ink cartriges and the heads, anything else? leaving it on is not an option.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:36:08 am by petermarrek »
Pages: [1]   Go Up