Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print to JPEG  (Read 2527 times)

stever

Print to JPEG
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:27 pm »

i'm printing with an Epson 2200 which won't bleed.  when i try to print to JPEG, the margins for the 2200 are retained and i can't figure out how to get rid of them

picnic

Print to JPEG
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:27:58 pm »

i'm printing with an Epson 2200 which won't bleed.  when i try to print to JPEG, the margins for the 2200 are retained and i can't figure out how to get rid of them
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its been awhile since I printed with my 2200 and I'm not totally clear on what you mean about printing to jpeg, but you do know that not all papers are able to be printed full bleed with the 2200.  Here is something from the 2200 FAQ that may be helpful (or not *smile*)

[a href=\"http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=14402&prodoid=20306147&foid=31388&cat=30937&subcat=30939]http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...37&subcat=30939[/url]

I also remember that you have to set borderless in either the paper or layout tab in the printer dialog.  Perhaps someone else has more to offer---or is printing with a 2200 right now.  I now print primarily with a 3800 altho' my 2200 is still working, but I haven't printed full bleed for a very long time so can't offer more.

Diane

stever

Print to JPEG
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:18:21 am »

i don't understand why the LR2 print to JPEG should have any connection to printer settings and that i'm missing some command

picnic

Print to JPEG
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:26:34 pm »

i don't understand why the LR2 print to JPEG should have any connection to printer settings and that i'm missing some command
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Steve, are you trying to export as jpeg?  I'm just not getting it I'm afraid.  In Qimage I used to  'print to file' and it saves the file exactly as I have it set up--to be printed from another app, to take to lab, etc.  Is that what you are talking about?? (which would be done from export dialog box).

Or are you saying you are trying to print a jpeg and it won't print borderless--because even though you have it sized in the jpeg file so it WOULD  be borderless on a certain size paper you can't get it to print that way??  

Regardless of the dimensions/size of your original file, in the print module you have to set the margins, cell size, etc.--plus paper size, etc.  AFAIK, this is just the way it is.  You have to set up page settings (i.e., you will get your printer dialog)--the paper size, paper type, etc.  Then you  have to set up the margin sizes, cell sizes, whether you want the printer to handle color management or you are using paper profiles (color management--and then turn off printer management in your printer dialog).  If you print exactly the same way repeatedly, you can just save this as a user preset so you don't have to repeat each time--just choose the preset.

Perhaps someone else can take a crack at this--or explaining better how it works.  I'm confused by your term 'print to jpeg'.

Diane
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:35:07 pm by picnic »

stever

Print to JPEG
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 05:42:33 pm »

LR2 has a new function in the Print Module, "print to JPEG" which outputs to a JPEG file rather than a printer - it's not particularly well documented

picnic

Print to JPEG
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:48:40 pm »

LR2 has a new function in the Print Module, "print to JPEG" which outputs to a JPEG file rather than a printer - it's not particularly well documented
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
ah, yes, much like 'print to file' which it also has
Here's the  help info

[a href=\"http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/WS1266B513-ED8A-49eb-A12F-E4DF25246AA3.html]http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/...DF25246AA3.html[/url]
v
You still have to set up what you are going to save---the 'bleed' will be up to the printer you send it to---(this is not for YOUR printing but rather to send to a lab) and the print will have to be sized to fit the paper you choose so that its possible to print edge to edge (full bleed).  The 2200 actually has nothing to do with it except that you can choose a paper size there.  If you have your print (in the develop module) cropped to the size of the paper you want to do full bleed, then the file will fit.  I just cropped an image to 8.5 x 11 (custom size in develop), then brought it into the print module and chose the 8.5 x 11 paper (and cell size) and its edge to edge--OR you can do a custom size in the right panel after you choose print to jpeg (use sliders or type in).  IF--the lab uses an 8.5 x 11 paper, this will print edge to edge (though some like to trim a bit and may want it a bit larger).  This is the same as 'print to file' (actually after you choose 'print to jpeg' in the right panel 'print to file' shows at the bottom right).   You'll just have to crop the image to fit the dimensions you choose in the print module.  Then--it will save a file that you can send to a lab or outside printer.  You will have to choose your color management, dpi, etc. also.

Hope this helps (I hadn't looked for this option as I no longer have an outside lab print for me).

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up