Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell 2007FP & Eye-One difficulty  (Read 8914 times)

FrankG

Dell 2007FP & Eye-One difficulty
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:39:11 pm »

Dell 2007FP
Eye_One Display 2 (3.6.2)
OSX

Can anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?
Any chance another 2007FP user that has used Eye-One can let me know what their monitor control Color settings & Image mode are ?

I am really struggling to calibrate the above display to reach the targets commonly used by the photo industry & other people that I need to share my work with. We need to, as close as is possible, see the same Tif images on our respective screens as prepared and saved in Photoshop with Adobe RGB(1998) color space.

My understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) is that to achieve this, we need to calibrate to the same white point & luminance. I have also learned that it’s ok to use Native or another as the WP & Gamma targets. But....only if one is working and printing within one’s own closed loop environment. To expect the images to look the same on different monitors means the WP & Gamma & Luminance should be the same or very close.

I want to achieve a White Point of 6500K, Gamma 2.2, & Luminance 120 cd/m2. Sounds straightforward but I cannot do it.

Basically the only way to reach a Luminance of 120 is for me to select Native White Point which results in a WP of 9300K. This is where my current profile is at now - WP 9300, 2.2 & 120cd/m2.

When I try for 6500K & I’ve tried all the other WP target options as offered by EyeMatch, it results in a much lower Luminance value - a maximum of 64.8 even though I have the Brightness on the display controls turned up to 100 (there is no Contrast control with DVI input) . But when I select Native White Point the Luminance is very high and I have to turn the display’s Brightness down to 25.

I am using EyeMatch in Advance mode.
I also tried to run it in Easy mode to see the results which may help others diagnose the problem. Before doing so I reset the monitor controls to the default color values (which places the Brightness at 50). Easy mode results:
WhitePoint Target Native - Current 9000K
Gamma Target 2.2 - Current 2.2
Luminance Target Not Defined - Current 175.6 cd/m2 & .2 Minimum .

The monitor controls color settings has several presets and custom RGB.
You can choose either PC or Mac mode and then within each of those there is PC or Mac Red, PC or Mac Blue, PC or Mac Normal, & Pc or Mac Custom (RG&B individually).

What am I overlooking or missing in the procedure?
Help appreciated,
Frank

David Gee

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:33:28 pm »

Dell 2007FP
Eye_One Display 2 (3.6.2)
OSX

Can anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?
Any chance another 2007FP user that has used Eye-One can let me know what their monitor control Color settings & Image mode are ?

I am really struggling to calibrate the above display to reach the targets commonly used by the photo industry & other people that I need to share my work with. We need to, as close as is possible, see the same Tif images on our respective screens as prepared and saved in Photoshop with Adobe RGB(1998) color space.

My understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) is that to achieve this, we need to calibrate to the same white point & luminance. I have also learned that it’s ok to use Native or another as the WP & Gamma targets. But....only if one is working and printing within one’s own closed loop environment. To expect the images to look the same on different monitors means the WP & Gamma & Luminance should be the same or very close.

I want to achieve a White Point of 6500K, Gamma 2.2, & Luminance 120 cd/m2. Sounds straightforward but I cannot do it.

Basically the only way to reach a Luminance of 120 is for me to select Native White Point which results in a WP of 9300K. This is where my current profile is at now - WP 9300, 2.2 & 120cd/m2.

When I try for 6500K & I’ve tried all the other WP target options as offered by EyeMatch, it results in a much lower Luminance value - a maximum of 64.8 even though I have the Brightness on the display controls turned up to 100 (there is no Contrast control with DVI input) . But when I select Native White Point the Luminance is very high and I have to turn the display’s Brightness down to 25.

I am using EyeMatch in Advance mode.
I also tried to run it in Easy mode to see the results which may help others diagnose the problem. Before doing so I reset the monitor controls to the default color values (which places the Brightness at 50). Easy mode results:
WhitePoint Target Native - Current 9000K
Gamma Target 2.2 - Current 2.2
Luminance Target Not Defined - Current 175.6 cd/m2 & .2 Minimum .
The monitor controls color settings has several presets and custom RGB.
You can choose either PC or Mac mode and then within each of those there is PC or Mac Red, PC or Mac Blue, PC or Mac Normal, & Pc or Mac Custom (RG&B individually).
What am I overlooking or missing in the procedure?
Help appreciated,
Frank
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a Dell 2407WFP (driven by a MacPro running Mac OS X 10.5.4) which calibrated well initially but after 18/12 failed to calibrate using a Spyder2.  Dell Australia's help line were hopeless and tried to blame the calibration failure on the Spyder software even though there was no problems in calibrating the laptops screen.  Eventually, they sent me a replacement monitor which has calibrated consistently without problems.  I have no experience with Eye-One but for what it's worth this is what I do with the Spyder2.  I get consistent results but need to recalibrate more often than with the MAC laptop screen as the Dell  Blue channel has a tendency to drift down

I've found the following settings work well:  Brightness 89, Image mode = Multimedia, set luminance level visually, gamma 2.2, WP 6500K.  In the Spyder program you are asked to adjust the RGB gain sliders on the monitor's control panel (using Mac mode/Mac custom color) after the program initially estimates the WP.  The following settings produced negligible difference when compared to the target:  Red 64, Green 64, Blue 66.  This resulted in a WP of 6500K and a luminance value of 231.1 cd/m<2.  Tip:  if your RGB sliders are set too high (eg, 80+) you will get the high WP yo are describing.

FrankG

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:20:52 am »

I just ran EyeMatch again in Advanced mode (Target 6500, 2.2, 120) and when it came to RGB I selected the custom RGB (Mac mode) and I adjusted the display's sliders to R 100, G 85, & B 60 and Eyematch read this as 6800K. I accepted this and moved on to Brightness and moved the adjustment to 100 (maximum). At the end summary screen the result was WP= 6500 (300K different from what it was reading before), Gamma 2.2, & Luminance 64.8 cd/m2 I am stumped on how to get the Luminance up. The RGB & Brightness settings are max'd.

FrankG

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 05:35:37 pm »

Got it !

6500, 2.2, 120

thank heavens what a haul

in case the lcd is not stable and i find it off again soon i'd appreciate any tech knowledge that can help me explain to dell what the problems may be
Pages: [1]   Go Up