Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: copying LR files to desktop  (Read 2730 times)

Les Rudnick

copying LR files to desktop
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:04:06 pm »

If I want to take a few Lightroom files from my external drive to edit in PS3 while traveling what are the steps to copy them to a folder on my desktop?  I do not want to travel with an external drive. If my goal is to edit them and then end up with jpegs for web after editing, should I transfer as raw, work on the files on my desktop and then convert to jpegs?  Lightroom and PS3 are installed on my laptop.  All files now are on my mirrored external drives.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:36:41 pm »

You might consider exporting them from LR to your desktop folder.  If you are running Windows, scroll the dialog box *up* to reveal your logged in profile's Desktop at the top:

The Lightroom dialog will create a folder off of this if desired, along with your choice of file format, name(s) etc . . .
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:49:48 pm by Joh.Murray »

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:08:40 am »

If I want to take a few Lightroom files from my external drive to edit in PS3 while traveling what are the steps to copy them to a folder on my desktop?  I do not want to travel with an external drive. If my goal is to edit them and then end up with jpegs for web after editing, should I transfer as raw, work on the files on my desktop and then convert to jpegs?  Lightroom and PS3 are installed on my laptop.  All files now are on my mirrored external drives.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would simply use LR's Export as Catalog command. Make sure to include "negative files" (your RAW files). When you're done with your trip, you could use the same technique to import your files back on your desktop computer (along with all the edits you've made).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:05:12 am by francois »
Francois

Les Rudnick

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:59 am »

Thanks. I appreciate the help.  Les

AdrianL

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:18:14 am »

I would simply use LR's Export as Catalog command. Make sure to include "negative files" (your RAW files). When you're done with your trip, you could use the same technique to import your files back on your desktop computer (along with all the edits you've made).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I found that when I return home and re-import as catalog, the negative files are re-imported as a second copy, whether or not I worked on them.  This adds to the size of my photo file.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:10:02 am »

So don't tick Include Negatives.

francois

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:15:49 am »

I found that when I return home and re-import as catalog, the negative files are re-imported as a second copy, whether or not I worked on them.  This adds to the size of my photo file.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just as John suggested above, you must NOT check the include negative files checkbox. Your RAW files are already on your hard drive, so no need to reimport them.
Francois

AdrianL

• http://
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:36:26 am »

Just as John suggested above, you must NOT check the include negative files checkbox. Your RAW files are already on your hard drive, so no need to reimport them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As always, thank you.  Now things are making sense.  Very powerful function.

francois

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:09:44 am »

As always, thank you.  Now things are making sense.  Very powerful function.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217560\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're welcome Adrian

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:19:35 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up