Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Audience  (Read 3064 times)

martin-images

The Audience
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:08:04 pm »

Speaks for its self, friendly sheep in Yorkshire

Martin

LoisWakeman

The Audience
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:44:14 am »

This image made me smile, and think of several titles - "Eeh Baa Gum" and "What are ewe looking at?" for instance (sorry, couldn't resist.    )

Frivolity aside, what makes this work for me is the radial composition created by the sun and shadows, as well as the evocative moorland landscape in low light. The contrast of the braver individuals and small huddle of more timid sheep also makes it interesting.

I struggle with exposure in this sort of situation - care to share any tips, Martin? I'm guessing underexposure from the asteriation of the sun, but anything else?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
The Audience
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 02:08:10 pm »

Love it.  

I would guess a 3-stop NDF?

martin-images

The Audience
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:25:43 pm »

The only filter I use under certain situations is a polarizer, all other editing is done in PS,

Martin

martin-images

The Audience
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:56:40 pm »

I switched form film to digital 5 years ago after spending the last 30 years in the wet darkroom doing exclusively BW images, the change from film and the chemical process was difficult, trying to achieve the look and style  I did seemed impossible at first, to try and achieve the contrast and tonal scale that neg to positive gave, after years of experiment with different ways to convert a colour file to mono I have eventually reached the the same level as the wet darkroom and surpassed it now in many ways, although it is a different medium and really should not be compared, [binary and silver halide]

To control the EV range in a picture such as this one cannot be done solely in camera with one image , with digital it can be, my way is this, protect the highlights and retrieve shadows in PP, shot in raw, bracket with three shots, use the data from the expanded EV range from all three and blend the exposures in PS to create a master colour file, convert the colour file using a method I call contrast grading, I use basically three plugins imagingfactory, Alien skin2 and photokit and use PS to power it, the idea is based on the wet darkroom  using multigrade papers at differing levels of contrast on one image, the method of working is different but the output is the same especially for printing, contrast grading avoids any form of dodge and burn and reduces the likelihood of halos where dark meets light on the file, by opening imagingfactory and adjusting colour and contrast sliders and placing the effect behind a layer mask and painting back, correct contrast can be placed any where within the image, the sheep pic for example, the sky would have lower contrast settings applied so highlight detail is not blown and shadow detail is not clogged to pure black, the foreground is adjusted with higher contrast to give a more textural look with deeper blacks and strong highlights, the overall effect is of higher luminance that cant be fully appreciated in a small 800px image, to further enhance selective sharpening is applied, usually avoiding the sky and more on the land areas, thats an overall explanation, more fine tuning is done using contrast masks and film presets from the other plugins mentioned.

Martin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:01:48 pm by martin-images »

DarkPenguin

The Audience
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:56:14 pm »

Looks like a one of those freak defenses New England plays.  Although I suppose they could be reacting to trips left.  Still, I'd look for a one or two sheep blitz on the left.

Very entertaining image.

LoisWakeman

The Audience
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:51 am »

Thanks for the detailed exposition. The results are well worth your efforts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up