Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Magical light  (Read 11313 times)

martin-images

Magical light
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:48:49 pm »

Another PS worked image, the early morning light excentuated, not what the camera captures, but inner vision.

Martin
www.digital-monochrome.com

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:50:14 pm by martin-images »

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
Magical light
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:07:10 pm »

IMO the "Winogrand tilt" doesn't often work for landscapes.  Your image is a case in point.  As a viewer, I'm too busy trying to keep from sliding off the edge of the planet to contemplate the image.  And, if you tell me "that's the way it was", I will respond that what is communicated is a tilted horizon and that a bubble-level would be a handy accessory.  

And, by the way, the term is "accentuated", in spite of the frequent appearance of "excentuated" in current semi-literate practice.

martin-images

Magical light
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:14:53 pm »

IMO the "Winogrand tilt" doesn't often work for landscapes.  Your image is a case in point.  As a viewer, I'm too busy trying to keep from sliding off the edge of the planet to contemplate the image.  And, if you tell me "that's the way it was", I will respond that what is communicated is a tilted horizon and that a bubble-level would be a handy accessory. 

And, by the way, the term is "accentuated", in spite of the frequent appearance of "excentuated" in current semi-literate practice.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would not try to tell you anything as it seems you know all, maybe a tilted tree and a straight horizon might keep you in your seat, so IYHO only straight horizons work for landscape, will keep that in mind and  buy a spirit level for my next picture

Thanks

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Magical light
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:50:02 pm »

The picture works for me quite nicely as-is. Whether the apparent horizon is tilted or no, by mistake or intentionally, is not that important for me. The impression I get (and like) is of a gently sloping hillside. It also clear (to me, of course) that the image is not meant to be documentary, but rather an interpretation, and as such is allowed to use artistic license, including tilting the horizon (if that was intentional).

And for the record, I use quite often a bubble-level for my own landscapes, when it would be glaringly  clear that tilted horizon is a result of me being sloppy, not terrain sloping   Now that I know there is a bubble-level police out there, I will be twice as careful.  

DarkPenguin

Magical light
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:51:46 pm »

I would not try to tell you anything as it seems you know all, maybe a tilted tree and a straight horizon might keep you in your seat, so IYHO only straight horizons work for landscape, will keep that in mind and  buy a spirit level for my next picture

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can I assume from that response that the picture is to be seen and not critiqued?

martin-images

Magical light
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 05:59:23 pm »

Can I assume from that response that the picture is to be seen and not critiqued?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217412\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course it can, it was the response and answer to a question that was not put by me,

"And, if you tell me "that's the way it was", I will respond that what is communicated is a tilted horizon and that a bubble-level would be a handy accessory.

Critiqued is a good way of seeing other points of view, not always to be agreed but food for thought, if my response seemed wrong then I apologize to the OP

Martin

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Magical light
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:22:22 pm »

IMHO the shot might be a little nicer with less tilt, but it doesn't jump out at me as "wrong".  I really like the way the light works on the foliage and ground.  The leaves look like they are full of sprites, or some sort of pixie dust.   What created the lighting effect on the ground?  Was that all post work?  I don't see what would have cut the light to create that shape in the landscape itself.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

francois

Magical light
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 03:19:42 am »

I was not shocked by the tilt. A bit less tilt (very little) might improve this photo, but I'm not so sure.
Francois

Rob C

Magical light
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 04:34:31 am »

Nice shot, with or without tilt, and as the main tree is pretty vertical as it is, then it works. Had the trunk been tilting a lot, naturally, as well, then it would have been another matter. But good; like it. Another reason black/white is so useful: helps remove from life and in turn opens up many possibilities that wouln´t do in colour.

Rob C

PS Mr P is absolutely right about posting images: if you post, there is tacit invitation to comment, in both directions. The trick is to accept that and not take it too seriously. After all, if it pleases the photographer...

On the spelling thing, I agree with the point made: I suffer from shocking typing skills and it takes a lot of time on PREVIEW to correct myself. I think it only a matter of courtesy to other readers to do the thing to the best of one´s ability. And that includes using I instead of i when referring to the first person singular.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Magical light
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 02:06:44 pm »

Some of you need to go back to school!  The shot isn't tilted - trees grow almost perfectly vertical, and this is simply a shot of a hill!

I like the shot a lot.  The flair behind the leaves, the heavy contrast, the details in the clouds...it all works for me!

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Magical light
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 02:48:44 pm »

On the spelling thing, I agree with the point made: I suffer from shocking typing skills and it takes a lot of time on PREVIEW to correct myself. I think it only a matter of courtesy to other readers to do the thing to the best of one´s ability. And that includes using I instead of i when referring to the first person singular.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It wasn't a typing mistake. Have a look at his web site.

Jeremy

martin-images

Magical light
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

It wasn't a typing mistake. Have a look at his web site.

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh dear, the grammar, punctuation and spelling on my web site is to put bluntly awful, so busy taking pictures, lectures, exhibitions this side is rushed and never checked, the comments here have made look and realise how bad and rushed this important area is, thank you for pointing this out, I am about to rectify this embarrassment :-(

Martin

Rob C

Magical light
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 04:30:24 pm »

Oh dear, the grammar, punctuation and spelling on my web site is to put bluntly awful, so busy taking pictures, lectures, exhibitions this side is rushed and never checked, the comments here have made look and realise how bad and rushed this important area is, thank you for pointing this out, I am about to rectify this embarrassment :-(

Martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, but the pictures shown here are pretty damn good.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Magical light
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 05:48:21 pm »

Martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I hope, although I'm not sure, that that response is genuine and not an attempt at sarcasm.

Your pictures look good, albeit rather small to judge properly. I assume from the price list that you want to sell them. People who look at the site and notice the awful grammar, punctuation and spelling are likely to come to one of two conclusions.

1. You are so busy taking and editing photographs that you don't have time to bother with such niceties. That's OK.

2. Your photo editing and production is likely to be as sloppy and careless as the English on your site. That's not OK.

You'll sell to those who come to the first conclusion but not to those who reach the second. I'm trying, perhaps in an inept way, to help you. It's no skin off my nose: there's so much appalling spelling and grammar around, both on and off the web, that your site won't make any noticeable difference. But why exclude a substantial group of sales prospects and harm your business?

Jeremy

martin-images

Magical light
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 05:57:03 pm »

I hope, although I'm not sure, that that response is genuine and not an attempt at sarcasm.

Your pictures look good, albeit rather small to judge properly. I assume from the price list that you want to sell them. People who look at the site and notice the awful grammar, punctuation and spelling are likely to come to one of two conclusions.

1. You are so busy taking and editing photographs that you don't have time to bother with such niceties. That's OK.

2. Your photo editing and production is likely to be as sloppy and careless as the English on your site. That's not OK.

You'll sell to those who come to the first conclusion but not to those who reach the second. I'm trying, perhaps in an inept way, to help you. It's no skin off my nose: there's so much appalling spelling and grammar around, both on and off the web, that your site won't make any noticeable difference. But why exclude a substantial group of sales prospects and harm your business?

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217655\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No sarcasm. genuine response  

My processing is meticulous I have been doing it over 40 years combined wet and digital

I have not put any weight in to the idea that bad grammar means bad workman ship, but could have a bearing as you have pointed out

Martin

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Magical light
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 03:31:00 am »

No sarcasm. genuine response   

My processing is meticulous I have been doing it over 40 years combined wet and digital

I have not put any weight in to the idea that bad grammar means bad workman ship, but could have a bearing as you have pointed out

Martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217658\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good. I shan't mention it again. I'd be happy to help you to proof-read your amended site, if you like.

Jeremy

Rob C

Magical light
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 02:51:03 pm »

Good. I shan't mention it again. I'd be happy to help you to proof-read your amended site, if you like.

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And while you are at it, Jeremy, why not drop a line to Mr Obama and tell him that but for an apostrophe and capital b he would have made the entire Kennedy love vote his own...

And to think I always imagined they were so hot on PR in the good old US of A!

Rob C

Justinr

• Ink+images
Magical light
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 03:14:11 pm »

Some of you need to go back to school! The shot isn't tilted - trees grow almost perfectly vertical, and this is simply a shot of a hill!

Alas the trunk is tilted to the left, and the woods on either side too (which really gives it away). Try scrolling in the edge of the window and lining it up with the tree.

The trouble with this sort of shot is that it is an attempt to improve upon the wonder of nature, something which is very often tried, sometimes successfully (Capability Brown springs to mind) and sometimes not (all those tedious golf courses). To my mind this image falls into the latter category, it is far too OTT and is more suited to a sci fi movie than a study of the natural world.

An image that works for those that like this sort of thing, I can't say I'm one of them but I'd hate that to put you off.

Justin.

martin-images

Magical light
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 04:06:32 pm »

My last post here no more to follow

I can honestly say that I have never been in such a depressing place as this, full of so many well educated    boring people, more interested in grammar than the art, the C&C received has been in parts not only rude but nonsensical, the post above is typical of this, from where I am its quite obvious that 3/4 of you would not recognize a good picture from a bad one, you have no inner vision or feel for artistic representation. bye from me and pity on the next new member.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Magical light
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 04:11:51 pm »

Sorry to hear that, I really like your images   Do me a favor and email me links to anything new you put up on your site.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up