Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Expenses  (Read 3820 times)

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Printing Expenses
« on: August 26, 2008, 01:57:16 pm »

Hello All,

I have been looking around and am unable to find a good all-in-one explanation of how to make my first portfolio of images.
I have all of my images created and processed for a portfolio, and sized for 11" x 17" @ 300ppi.

I am now left to the ominous task of making my digital images into a print reality and putting them into a portfolio so that I can take them with me to a number of galleries, fine-dining, and studio spaces that are interested. This presents a problem to me, because as much as I understand all of the processes of how to soft-proof, I have no options to use them, sort of.

I live in Kingston, Ontario, but often commute to Toronto (Typical Queen's University Student...). I have talked to the local commercial printers here and none of them will provide printer profiles, nor will they soft proof in-house (Digi-Graphics and Copy Express). The prints I have made at those locations are unreliable, and have led me to heated discussions about image quality with managers... Does anyone know a good printer in the area?

I have also been looking around in Toronto (not all that hard, I'll admit) and I have been to TIW (Toronto Image Works) and they have excellent knowledgeable staff and fine art quality printers. Unfortunately, that lovely service comes at a high cost, $20.00+ per print (however it is only $3.00 for each copy). Since I want to put about 20 prints in my portfolio (is that too many?) it is going to cost me $400.00 just to print the images!

The next option is to use Costco, its damned cheap ($3.00 for each 11x14), and they seem to have profile software (but not individual profiles, apparently) available. However, I do not have a membership and can't access this service just yet. The question here is, does anyone use Costco for serious image work? also, how reliable are their profiles, since I'm guessing they don't profile their printers often at all.

The last option is the really expensive one, buying a decent sheet printer and profiler. What are my options if I want to make 11" x 17" HQ prints?

I'm a little out to sea on this, as you might be able to tell, and I would love any and all feedback. I'm trying to find a balance between print cost and quality in a way that will help me put together a portfolio to land me a few gigs at respectable locations.

- Michael
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:02:28 pm by mike.online »

petermarrek

Printing Expenses
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:47:01 pm »

IMO, look for a used 2200, 2400 or other printer in that size range, should be able to find one for under $400. Then you can print to your hearts content.

AndyF2

Printing Expenses
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:09:19 pm »

Have a look at http://www.pikto.ca/ in Toronto.  It's nicer to work with your own printer, but I've also heard good comments about their services.  You go in, use their workstations, and send prints to their printers while you're working.
Andy

01af

Printing Expenses
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:30:40 am »

I have talked to the local commercial printers here and none of them will provide printer profiles, nor will they soft proof in-house [...]. The prints I have made at those locations are unreliable, and have led me to heated discussions about image quality with managers ...
[...] that lovely service comes at a high cost, $20.00+ per print (however it is only $3.00 for each copy). Since I want to put about 20 prints in my portfolio (is that too many?) it is going to cost me $400.00 just to print the images![a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
See? That's why I got my own ink-jet photo printer. Better quality than ever before, and no frustrating (and inevitably fruitless) discussions about image quality with clueless clerks and ignorant managers anymore ...

The last option is the really expensive one, buying a decent sheet printer and profiler.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To take the printing into your own hands definitely is more expensive than buying the typical consumer lab prints but cheaper, in the long run, than pro lab services---and more rewarding, too. However, expect a steep learning curve! But it's a worthwhile expense and effort. I cannot image going back to not owning my own photo printer.

What are my options if I want to make 11" x 17" HQ prints?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Canon Pixma 9500, Epson Stylus Photo R1900, R2400, and R2880, Hewlett-Packard Photosmart Pro B9180 ... or the 17" printer Epson Stylus Pro 3800. I have the latter, and I can recommend it, also for black-and-white prints. Even if 17" is wider than you ever plan to print, it may still be a good idea due to lower ink cost. And the Epson 3800 is the physically smallest and lightest 17" ink-jet printer (a single person can lift it). Currently there are cheap sales offers everywhere as the successor is expected to arrive at Photokina next month.

-- Olaf
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:31:22 am by 01af »

mbridgers

Printing Expenses
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:27:07 am »

You may want to look into an Epson 1400.  Right now, they can be found for less that $200 US, they make lovely prints up to 13x19, and with quad tone rip ($50 US, www.quadtonerip.com) they can do good, neutral black and white.  The 1400 is dye, not pigment, but according to Wilhelm Research, framed prints last about 100 years, dark storage 200 years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up