Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 50D announced  (Read 4641 times)

Pete Ferling

Canon 50D announced
« on: August 26, 2008, 01:40:04 pm »

"There is still a Direct Print button, but no easy access to mirror lock-up. What a surprise. "

Michael, I think canon continues this trend just to get you riled up.

I was hoping for the announcement of the 5D Mark II, and that canon would respond to Nikon with higher ISO performance.  Now the 50D seems to be the first clue to that reality.

DarkPenguin

Canon 50D announced
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:56:47 pm »

You can throw the MLU in the custom user menu or punch live view.  Either option is pretty quick.

mahleu

• 500px
Canon 50D announced
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:15:17 pm »

One thing they really need to sort out is the diopter adjustment wheel. On Nikon's it's neatly recessed behind the eyecup but mine get knocked all the time.

DarkPenguin

Canon 50D announced
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:22:55 pm »

From the dpreview preview ...

"But there is another change - and one we're quite pleased to see - the addition of a useful purpose to the 'direct print' button. The much maligned print button now doubles-up to give direct access to live view."

Nice.

And the info button now brings up a screen that can be navigated.

Edit:  Looks like a really good chance that my 40D L bracket would fit this thing.

Hmmmmmm.....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:23:38 pm by DarkPenguin »

Pete Ferling

Canon 50D announced
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:22:38 pm »

You can throw the MLU in the custom user menu or punch live view.  Either option is pretty quick.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know about the live view, use it for all my landscapes, coupled with bracketing and two-second timer.  I was just poking fun at Michaels obvious dislike for canons favor of an external print button vs. MLU.

Sheesh, my 40d is only six months old.   It was to hold me over to a possible 5D mkII... I wanted a full frame compromise without having to go 1Ds mkIII.

I would be very interested in seeing what the 50D has to offer, depending on the high ISO performance I might just go for it... (and then they'll announce the 5D after the return policy expires..

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Canon 50D announced
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:15:43 pm »

There is an enhanced Live View capability combined with Face Detection of up to 35 faces

Oh great; what am I supposed to do when photographing 36 people?

Dave Chew

paulbk

Canon 50D announced
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 07:35:19 pm »

Thirty-five faces? Do they mean 35 individual faces in one frame? Or, it will recognize 35 different kind of faces: two-eyed smile, one-eyed profile, mustache, beard, big hair, shiny bald, sun glasses, Groucho Marx glasses, clenched teeth w/big fat cigar... ?

It all gets a little much. Don’t ya think?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:43:26 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Pete Ferling

Canon 50D announced
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 07:53:01 pm »

Thirty-five faces? Do they mean 35 individual faces in one frame? Or, it will recognize 35 different kind of faces: two-eyed smile, one-eyed profile, mustache, beard, big hair, shiny bald, sun glasses, Groucho Marx glasses, clenched teeth w/big fat cigar... ?

It all gets a little much. Don’t ya think?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I quess you have pay a little more and get a 1Ds mkIII to not have those kinds of features.  Last time I checked my manual smile recognition feature was working ok.  Even if folks weren't smiling I was able to take shot...

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Canon 50D announced
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:55:25 pm »

The Nikon D90 will even detect if someone stopped smiling or blinked when you took the shot and tell you to retake!!

Pete Ferling

Canon 50D announced
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:29:19 pm »

The Nikon D90 will even detect if someone stopped smiling or blinked when you took the shot and tell you to retake!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217434\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh great!  A built in director in every camera.  Not so sure if that's a feature...

barryfitzgerald

Canon 50D announced
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 07:33:04 pm »

I find it odd that makers would put face detection on semi pro cameras, highly unlikely that anyone would use it, esp since previous contrast AF systems have been pretty slow.

Still, I wonder if they are "scared" to not add features to cameras. What a terrible day it will be when they run out of gimmicks to slap into models ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up