Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB aproach to location food photography  (Read 13703 times)

dirkpieters

MFDB aproach to location food photography
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 04:46:03 am »

I couldn't afford a P3 setup so I got a Flexbody with a 120 Macro. I have a Sinar 54m with the LC shutter and they all work great together both in the studio or on location. The Flexbody has it's limitations but it may be what your looking for.

Dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Dan
Do you have to remove the back each time you focus? Do you get lots of dust dust on the sensor?
Regards
Dirk

ixpressraf

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 05:27:35 am »

Why don't you buy a P2 with a couple of digital lenses and a sliding back instead. They go for les than a 3000 euro and are as nice as a P3. It's not always nessesarry to buy your stuff new to get great tools to work with.
With this set-up you get the freedom to tilt and shift of the P3 ( wich is much more usefull than the one from a flexbody), no dust on the sensor since you use a sliding back and it's almost for free.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:28:53 am by ixpressraf »

PdF

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 06:59:42 am »

Why don't you buy a P2 with a couple of digital lenses and a sliding back instead. They go for les than a 3000 euro and are as nice as a P3. It's not always nessesarry to buy your stuff new to get great tools to work with.
With this set-up you get the freedom to tilt and shift of the P3 ( wich is much more usefull than the one from a flexbody), no dust on the sensor since you use a sliding back and it's almost for free.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good idea, indeed.

The best digital lenses are easy to find in DB mounting, and less expensive. And the live-video (with a Sinarcam 2) is realy nice for this kind of job.

PdF
PdF

ixpressraf

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:30 am »

....but i think most pro photographers don't buy used equipment. I have that set up for sale for more then a few months now and i haven't even recieved an e-mail for more info or other questions  .........

Robin Balas

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 07:40:37 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have a P2 modified for digital use, but I do not have digital lenses and a sliding back, I use a live view adapter wich I regret as I now could have used a sliding back instead. But I am ordering a 80mm digitar for this use these days - just some trouble with my preferred shutter according to Schneider. So I will check this out and decide then.
I will have a look at ebay as suggested as well.

Robin Balas

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 07:41:37 am »

....but i think most pro photographers don't buy used equipment. I have that set up for sale for more then a few months now and i haven't even recieved an e-mail for more info or other questions  .........
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Give me some info or a link, please.
Robin

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 08:47:03 am »

But I am ordering a 80mm digitar for this use these days - just some trouble with my preferred shutter according to Schneider.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what shutter and what kind of trouble??

Dan Gaye

• http://www.studio75.com
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 11:04:34 am »

Hi Dan
Do you have to remove the back each time you focus? Do you get lots of dust dust on the sensor?
Regards
Dirk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I only remove the back when I change the camera angle dramatically and I have a "pop on" cover that came with my adapter plate. I haven't had major dust problems, I check before I attach the back and carry a can of air or cleaning cloth to remove any dust I get. I find the live view is more accurate when shooting with selective focus, I can fine focus on my 20" iMac that I prefer over a laptop. I wouldn't shoot tabletop work without live view now.

With the Flexbody you have to position your lens in the focus plane that you want first, then adjust the tilt or swing(sideways) by adjusting the back. Not as nice as a view camera, but a lot smaller in size and easier to get a few second hand lenses. I already had a V kit so the only lens I added was the macro because I was shooting some jewelry.

Dan

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 01:59:05 pm »

I only remove the back when I change the camera angle dramatically and I have a "pop on" cover that came with my adapter plate. I haven't had major dust problems, I check before I attach the back and carry a can of air or cleaning cloth to remove any dust I get. I find the live view is more accurate when shooting with selective focus, I can fine focus on my 20" iMac that I prefer over a laptop. I wouldn't shoot tabletop work without live view now.

With the Flexbody you have to position your lens in the focus plane that you want first, then adjust the tilt or swing(sideways) by adjusting the back. Not as nice as a view camera, but a lot smaller in size and easier to get a few second hand lenses. I already had a V kit so the only lens I added was the macro because I was shooting some jewelry.

Dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The problem with the flex body is that the back is used for tilts, causing perspective to change and parallels to intersect, which isnt always critical, but in most cases it can be.

Robin Balas

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 11:48:37 am »

what shutter and what kind of trouble??
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You know the Kapture group actuator hooking up to their laser and sound triggers? [a href=\"http://www.kapturegroup.com/kap_htmls/electronic_cable.html]http://www.kapturegroup.com/kap_htmls/electronic_cable.html[/url]
It works best with a Copal Press in this setup, but Schneider informed my local distributor that they would not warrant my lens if they were to deliver it in this configuration because the shutter would send a non standard sync signal, something with a wave shaped signal, for long exposures slower than about 1/30sec. I now have to test this configuration on another rig  and check it out, it might force me onto the Rollei shutter which I would be ok with at another time, just not now (budget issue). The Schneider electronic shutter is too slow for my use, so Rollei is the electronic shutter of my choice for this application. However not having to upgrade a lot of lenses would be preferable as I have spent enough on new gear for a while.
MHO

EDIT: Look at http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/C...D=1326&IID=1934 they announce it as a normal item on a digital lens without stating the Copal Press problem as is "confirmed" by another citation on Photo.net, ref: Stephan Meier's posting on http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00OHeu I don't have it verifed first hand, but above 1/30 it should be ok according to Schneider.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:58:04 pm by Robin Balas »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

You know the Kapture group actuator hooking up to their laser and sound triggers? http://www.kapturegroup.com/kap_htmls/electronic_cable.html
It works best with a Copal Press in this setup, but Schneider informed my local distributor that they would not warrant my lens if they were to deliver it in this configuration because the shutter would send a non standard sync signal, something with a wave shaped signal, for long exposures slower than about 1/30sec. I now have to test this configuration on another rig  and check it out, it might force me onto the Rollei shutter which I would be ok with at another time, just not now (budget issue). The Schneider electronic shutter is too slow for my use, so Rollei is the electronic shutter of my choice for this application. However not having to upgrade a lot of lenses would be preferable as I have spent enough on new gear for a while.
MHO

EDIT: Look at http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/C...D=1326&IID=1934 they announce it as a normal item on a digital lens without stating the Copal Press problem as is "confirmed" by another citation on Photo.net, ref: Stephan Meier's posting on http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00OHeu I don't have it verifed first hand, but above 1/30 it should be ok according to Schneider.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All my digitars have copal press shutters, I haven't used the buld setting but ive never had a problem even at a half second.  I hope someone here knows more about this...

Robin I also sent you a PM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up