Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B&H Order From Canada  (Read 6086 times)

Barry B

B&H Order From Canada
« on: August 25, 2008, 06:03:47 pm »

Hello All

Can anyone comment on their experience of placing an order with B&H, or for that matter, any order to a US distributer. Issues with duties?

What's driving this question is the frustration of obtaining the equipment I require and want from Canada with long delivery dates or limited selection.

Thanks to all replies.

englishm

• http://www.pacificlight.ca
B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 06:39:27 pm »

I have been buying from B&H for more than 15 years.  Absolutely no problems, that weren't handled quickly and professionally.  My purchases over that time period total several 10's of thousands... I think I have enough experience to offer an informed opinion.

Most purchases of a photographic nature are not dutiable, you will however have to pay GST and provincial taxes (if applicable where you live).  Some items, bags being an example that comes to mind, are potentially dutiable since they are considered "bags" rather than "photographic accessories."

Years ago I used to have to coach B&H sales staff to correctly describe the items on thier commercial invoices to ensure that they were correctly classified for duty purposes.  That hasn't been the case for years, as they now do an excellent job of classifying and documenting the goods so that they sail through customs with nary a problem.

The savings can be substantial, even with current exchange rates, and the availablility of many items is rarely matched at the price by Canadian retailers.  If you haven't already I would check out Vistek in Toronto (www.vistek.ca) and "The Camera Store" in Calgary (www.thecamerastore.com).  Pricing here can be quite competitive, although either will be hard pressed to match the selection at B&H.

Hope this helps.
Mark English
[url=http://www.pacificligh

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:55:31 pm »

Years ago I used to have to coach B&H sales staff to correctly describe the items on thier commercial invoices to ensure that they were correctly classified for duty purposes.  That hasn't been the case for years, as they now do an excellent job of classifying and documenting the goods so that they sail through customs with nary a problem.

B&H does a pretty good job correctly classifying the goods, but if you get anything shipped by UPS, check your paperwork, because lately they have a habit of changing the classifications from the correct one to one of their own choosing, which coincidentally is subject to duty.

AdamG

B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:15:31 am »

B&H does a pretty good job correctly classifying the goods, but if you get anything shipped by UPS, check your paperwork, because lately they have a habit of changing the classifications from the correct one to one of their own choosing, which coincidentally is subject to duty.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

B + H is my favourite source to order from.  Delivery is so fast to southern Ont, it is scary.

Order on Saturday, get it on Tuesday.  Have ordered big, small, expensive and inexpensive items from them.

Find them the best retailer a Canadian could ever deal with, including domestic retailers.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:19:19 am by AdamG »

Khurram

B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:41:00 am »

If you order from B&H ship via fedex otherwise you will get screwed over by UPS charging brokerage charges - even though photo gear isn't subject to duty.

I usually check with Adorama first, since their Fedex shipping is a LOT cheaper then B&H.  There are a few things i've found though that either Adorama doesn't have, or doesn't have in stock, so i'll still order from B&H.   If it is a lower value item and i can wait a week or two, i'll request USPS GLobal express, if i need it fast, i'll request Fedex - but i NEVER ship via UPS from the USA.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

DaveLon

B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:33:47 am »

If you order from B&H ship via fedex otherwise you will get screwed over by UPS charging brokerage charges - even though photo gear isn't subject to duty.

I usually check with Adorama first, since their Fedex shipping is a LOT cheaper then B&H.  There are a few things i've found though that either Adorama doesn't have, or doesn't have in stock, so i'll still order from B&H.   If it is a lower value item and i can wait a week or two, i'll request USPS GLobal express, if i need it fast, i'll request Fedex - but i NEVER ship via UPS from the USA.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely never use UPS from the USA. FedEx from either Adorama (less expensive) or B&H works well. I find Adorama slightly faster too.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:34:08 am by DaveLon »

JF3012

B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 01:10:01 pm »

I bought many time from B&H, always got great service.  Didn’t had it shipped to Canada yet as I didn’t knew some items were tax free.  But I'll do in the future !

Is there any place where we can find an easy to read list of what's tax free or not ?  I found an official import document but I don’t think it was ever intended to read by anyone else then lawyers...

JFD
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:11:16 pm by JF3012 »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 04:47:18 pm »

I bought many time from B&H, always got great service.  Didn’t had it shipped to Canada yet as I didn’t knew some items were tax free.  But I'll do in the future !
Is there any place where we can find an easy to read list of what's tax free or not ?  I found an official import document but I don’t think it was ever intended to read by anyone else then lawyers...
JFD
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd ask here: CBSA-ASFC@canada.gc.ca

Or you can navigate the tariff menu, here: [a href=\"http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/menu-eng.html]http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tari...f/menu-eng.html[/url]

Mike.

P.S.  It's not tax free as you have to pay PST/GST or HST, but some items are free of Customs tariffs
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:48:09 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

PSA DC-9-30

B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:08:31 pm »

I thought Fed Ex's brokerage charges were just as bad as UPS'. I visit my relatives in the U.S. a few times a year and always have stuff sent there, which I bring back with me on the plane.

Harold Clark

B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 07:17:20 am »

Hello All

Can anyone comment on their experience of placing an order with B&H, or for that matter, any order to a US distributer. Issues with duties?

What's driving this question is the frustration of obtaining the equipment I require and want from Canada with long delivery dates or limited selection.

Thanks to all replies.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have had excellent service from B&H. I use air mail for delivery usually. UPS charges horrendous brokerage fees, I am sure they make more from brokerage than shipping. One shipment I priced from Badger Graphic ( another excellent outfit ) would have cost $60 UPS vs $11 post office, and UPS was slower too.

The one time I did use UPS the box fell off their truck in my studio parking lot, fortunately someone noticed it before it got run over. If you are in a hurry, Fedex includes brokerage in their air shipping prices.

Camera equipment is for the most part duty free. GST applies, and unless you are in Alberta, PST as well. I know they forget to charge the PST sometimes, but I doubt there are many complaints when this happens.

claskin

B&H Order From Canada
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 04:11:35 pm »

I have had excellent service from B&H. I use air mail for delivery usually. UPS charges horrendous brokerage fees, I am sure they make more from brokerage than shipping. One shipment I priced from Badger Graphic ( another excellent outfit ) would have cost $60 UPS vs $11 post office, and UPS was slower too.

The one time I did use UPS the box fell off their truck in my studio parking lot, fortunately someone noticed it before it got run over. If you are in a hurry, Fedex includes brokerage in their air shipping prices.

Camera equipment is for the most part duty free. GST applies, and unless you are in Alberta, PST as well. I know they forget to charge the PST sometimes, but I doubt there are many complaints when this happens.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Never a problem with B&H but I have manged to get very close to their pricing when including shipping using major retailers in Canada. However, it does not matter who you buy from or what you buy in the US, NEVER use UPS. I have canceled orders from US vendors who only use UPS due to their usurious "brokerage fees". Sort of like land transfer tax when buying a house....just a cash grab!! Always inform the vendor about the problem with UPS and you may find they will use an alternate. I have even spoken with UPS management and told them what I tell vendors and others regarding their brokerage fees. You can see how much good it has done! :-(
Carl
Carl Laskin
Pages: [1]   Go Up