Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB LCD  (Read 4425 times)

smhoer

• http://www.skylightimaging.smugmug.com
MFDB LCD
« on: August 25, 2008, 02:08:44 pm »

Forgive me if this has been covered by I found nothing doing a search.  I shoot exclusively in the field (landscapes) and never in a studio.  Has anyone developed a solution that allows you to connect a Phase One or Hassy back to a PDA to use the display on the PDA to check focus and exposure?  I recently used a Phase One back (P45+) and was struck by how poor the LCD was.  It was usable (slightly) for exposure check using grads but unusable for focus check for landscapes.  I do not want to attempt to tether a PC in the field but I already carry a Windows PDA phone and own an IPod touch.
Scott H.
North Carolina

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
MFDB LCD
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:16:11 pm »

If memory serves Leaf had a solution at one point--I've no idea if it's still shipping.

Are you sure you want to do this?  True the MFDB backs are not in the D3's category, but the P45+'s screen is certainly good enough to check critical focus when zoomed.

The reason I  ask is that you say you don't want to be tethered--that would mean wireless transfer of a huge file to your PDA for checking (or some derivative version of a file).  This would be a very slow solution...

-Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

yaya

MFDB LCD
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:51:17 pm »

Forgive me if this has been covered by I found nothing doing a search.  I shoot exclusively in the field (landscapes) and never in a studio.  Has anyone developed a solution that allows you to connect a Phase One or Hassy back to a PDA to use the display on the PDA to check focus and exposure?  I recently used a Phase One back (P45+) and was struck by how poor the LCD was.  It was usable (slightly) for exposure check using grads but unusable for focus check for landscapes.  I do not want to attempt to tether a PC in the field but I already carry a Windows PDA phone and own an IPod touch.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Scott,

All current Leaf models are equipped with a built-in Bluetooth module that allows them to link up to a PocketPC device. The Leaf WiView software has been tested on several HP iPaq models and runs on Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0 operating systems and it supports rectangular screens of 240X320 and 640X480. It gives a range of 4-7 metres, depending on the Leaf back model.

This software emulates the back's own GUI and allows you not only to control the back but also to edit your images, check focus & histogram, flag your selects and add notes as metadata.

Once the back is switched off or the PDA goes out of range, the previews are automatically saved as thumbnails (JPEG) on the PDA so they can be reviewd, emailed etc.

Hope this helps

Yair

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
MFDB LCD
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 07:44:40 pm »

Hello Scott,

All current Leaf models are equipped with a built-in Bluetooth module that allows them to link up to a PocketPC device. The Leaf WiView software has been tested on several HP iPaq models and runs on Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0 operating systems and it supports rectangular screens of 240X320 and 640X480. It gives a range of 4-7 metres, depending on the Leaf back model.

This software emulates the back's own GUI and allows you not only to control the back but also to edit your images, check focus & histogram, flag your selects and add notes as metadata.

Once the back is switched off or the PDA goes out of range, the previews are automatically saved as thumbnails (JPEG) on the PDA so they can be reviewd, emailed etc.

Hope this helps

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217199\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is possibility of leaf making this compatible with Iphone?  would be a godsend imho if it transferred images fast enough.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
MFDB LCD
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:24:49 pm »

there are plenty of programmers that would be willing to work on it im sure. ( the iphone app)

Natasa Stojsic

MFDB LCD
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:12:52 pm »

there are plenty of programmers that would be willing to work on it im sure. ( the iphone app)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Even though I never got the answer... apparently Edmund can do it!!!

Link: [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27105&st=80]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....pic=27105&st=80[/url]
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

yaya

MFDB LCD
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:02:15 am »

What is possibility of leaf making this compatible with Iphone?  would be a godsend imho if it transferred images fast enough.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The iPhone's Bluetooth doesn't have the provisions for supporting anything other that headsets/ handsfree kits, since it relies on the WiFi for everything else.

So such application is unlikely without either Apple changing their approach or Leaf changing to WiFi...

NBP

• http://
MFDB LCD
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:57:43 am »

The iPhone's Bluetooth doesn't have the provisions for supporting anything other that headsets/ handsfree kits

Which is barking. It's such a good screen, it would be great to be able to use it.
I've given up trying to figure out what Apple are playing at with so many glaring basic feature ommisions [not] on the iPhone. But that's a whole other discussion!

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
MFDB LCD
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 06:13:59 am »

I use the Leaf system with an HP ipaq in the field and can vouch for how much it helps. You are able to get the ipaq into a good viewing position when the LCD of the back can be facing into the sun and is therefore not usable.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

NBP

• http://
MFDB LCD
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 06:54:47 am »

I use the Leaf system with an HP ipaq in the field and can vouch for how much it helps. You are able to get the ipaq into a good viewing position when the LCD of the back can be facing into the sun and is therefore not usable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217268\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting.
I use an A65s - How quickly does the image appear on the iPaq? And realistically, are there any issues that you find you have to contend with reguarly?

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
MFDB LCD
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 08:08:58 am »

Interesting.
I use an A65s - How quickly does the image appear on the iPaq? And realistically, are there any issues that you find you have to contend with reguarly?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't timed it to be honest, when I look up from the camera the image is there so I suppose it is quick enough. regular issues are that if you have the camera set to auto sleep then it breaks the connection and needs to be reset so when you are trying to shoot you instead end up resetting the connection.  That takes a bit of time as it resynchronizes. It also seems to me that the back chomps through batteries faster with the connection up but I am not sure as I have had issues with a faulty charger.

You need to careful if you hand it to a client to use to view images as all controls to the back are available via the ipack, including formatting the card and deleting the images. I wish it could be set up to view only for that type of use. It is very pleasant to be able to turn your back on the sun and view the ipack in the shade. The only other issue that comes to mind is it is one more battery to keep charged.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up