Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Osx10.5 & epson 2200  (Read 3625 times)

petermarrek

Osx10.5 & epson 2200
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:50:56 am »

This may have been covered before but: how do I use my trusty E2200 with 10.5. The Epson printer utility 2 shows up in the App. folder but doesn't find the printer. I have reloaded the driver but nothing has improved. Supposedly the drivers are loaded in the OS. Peter

francois

Osx10.5 & epson 2200
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:26:36 pm »

This may have been covered before but: how do I use my trusty E2200 with 10.5. The Epson printer utility 2 shows up in the App. folder but doesn't find the printer. I have reloaded the driver but nothing has improved. Supposedly the drivers are loaded in the OS. Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Did install the optional drivers from your Leopard DVD? I'm not sure if the driver for the 2100/2200 is part of the default install or in the optional install.

My 2100 died a few months ago but it worked fine with Leopard…
Francois

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Osx10.5 & epson 2200
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:57:33 am »

This is the procedure that Epson support gave to me that got me eventually working with Leopard and my Epson R2400 and R1800 printers.  What with all the stopping, rebooting etc it felt more like a good old Windows installation. But everything works now... after 4 months of hassle. Your milage may vary.  

1. Close any applications that are open.
2. Click on the Apple icon and choose System Preferences. Choose "Print & Fax".
3. Highlight the Epson printer in the list and click the delete button [-].
4. If no other printers are installed, in Print and Fax please hold down the Control key and then in the list if printers, click and hold. That should present the "Reset printing system..." menu. Choose this option and confirm.
5. Disconnect the printer from the computer.
6. We will now remove the EPSON Printer driver from the system and delete the drivers that you downloaded.
Go to the Mac Hard Drive/Library/Printer and move the complete EPSON folder to the trash. Warning this removes all EPSON Printers.
7. Also remove any drivers that were previously downloaded to the trash if the file name does not match that from our web site.
8. Restart the Mac.
9. Empty the trash.
10. Now we will run a repair utility that may take up to 30 minutes to complete so please plan for this. Go to Mac Hard Drive/Applications/Utilities and open the Disk Utility. Note: If you cannot find it this way, use Spotlight to locate it.
11. Select Disk First Aid at the top of the dialog box.
12. Select the Mac Hard Drive Icon in the left hand pane.
13. Select Repair Permissions at the bottom of the dialog box.
14. When this has completed restart the Mac.

Power the printer on and connect it to the Mac. Ensure that it is directly connected to a port (such as a USB port) on the Mac and not via a third party device such as a USB hub.
You will now need to download the driver/s from the Epson website. Please connect to the Epson website via the link below:

For the R1800
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...ao5eIU003D&tc=6

For the R2400
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...3pjHIU003D&tc=6

Download the printer driver for your printer and ensure this starts in the Download Manager. Please try the following to install and add the driver:

1. Locate the downloaded file and double-click it. This should mount a drive on the Desktop. Double-click this and a window should appear with a blue VISE icon. This is the printer driver installer, double-click this icon.

2. Follow the on screen prompts to install the driver, restarting the Mac once the installation has been completed.

3. Once restarted the driver needs adding to the printer list. To do this click on the Apple icon then System Preferences. Choose "Print & Fax" and ensure it is set on "Printing". If the gutenprint driver is listed here, highlight it then choose the delete option (this can normally be done by clicking the [-] minus sign.

4. Normally, USB printers will add themselves automatically. Check the list for your printer. If listed, highlight the printer and the driver information will appear on the right. Under "Kind" the printer name should be listed, i.e. Epson SP R300 Series with a version in brackets. If a gutenprint driver is listed or the 'Kind' indicates a different printer model delete this driver.

5. If the Epson driver is not listed, click the add icon button
  • towards the bottom-left of the window. The window that will appear first will be the Printer Browser. Connected printers with a valid driver installed should appear, highlight it and click the "Add" button. Do not choose a different model from the list of printers that may be present. If 'Add' is greyed out, leave the browser open for 10 minutes and ensure that the printer is powered on and connected directly to the Mac. Do not connect it via a third party device such as a USB hub or hub in a keyboard.

6. The printer should now be added to the printer list.
Try a print from Text Edit, as it is native to OS X. Go to File > Page Setup. Choose the SP RX500 Series under "Format For" and a page size then click OK. Go to File > Print, choose the printer name under "Format For". The standard, default dialogue box is very basic and if not expanded, important changes cannot be made such as paper type and print quality.

To display the full dialogue, click on the arrow to the right of the "Format For" and printer name field. This will reveal the advanced menu. Choose the printer name under "Format For". The settings are now controlled by selecting an item from the lower drop-down list. To show Epson specific-settings, choose "Print Settings".
Make settings as appropriate and proceed to print. Some printers will have further options on the "Copies & Pages" menu such as "Color Management" and "Extension Settings". If "Print Settings" is not present, the Epson driver has not been added and a third party driver is in use and will often result in poor print quality.

If this is successful, the printer is ready to use.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 07:58:28 am by free1000 »
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

nixphoto

Osx10.5 & epson 2200
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:10:17 pm »

This is the procedure that Epson support gave to me that got me eventually working with Leopard and my Epson R2400 and R1800 printers.  What with all the stopping, rebooting etc it felt more like a good old Windows installation. But everything works now... after 4 months of hassle. Your milage may vary. 

1. Close any applications that are open.
2. Click on the Apple icon and choose System Preferences. Choose "Print & Fax".
3. Highlight the Epson printer in the list and click the delete button [-].
4. If no other printers are installed, in Print and Fax please hold down the Control key and then in the list if printers, click and hold. That should present the "Reset printing system..." menu. Choose this option and confirm.
5. Disconnect the printer from the computer.
6. We will now remove the EPSON Printer driver from the system and delete the drivers that you downloaded.
Go to the Mac Hard Drive/Library/Printer and move the complete EPSON folder to the trash. Warning this removes all EPSON Printers.
7. Also remove any drivers that were previously downloaded to the trash if the file name does not match that from our web site.
8. Restart the Mac.
9. Empty the trash.
10. Now we will run a repair utility that may take up to 30 minutes to complete so please plan for this. Go to Mac Hard Drive/Applications/Utilities and open the Disk Utility. Note: If you cannot find it this way, use Spotlight to locate it.
11. Select Disk First Aid at the top of the dialog box.
12. Select the Mac Hard Drive Icon in the left hand pane.
13. Select Repair Permissions at the bottom of the dialog box.
14. When this has completed restart the Mac.

Power the printer on and connect it to the Mac. Ensure that it is directly connected to a port (such as a USB port) on the Mac and not via a third party device such as a USB hub.
You will now need to download the driver/s from the Epson website. Please connect to the Epson website via the link below:

For the R1800
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...ao5eIU003D&tc=6

For the R2400
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...3pjHIU003D&tc=6

Download the printer driver for your printer and ensure this starts in the Download Manager. Please try the following to install and add the driver:

1. Locate the downloaded file and double-click it. This should mount a drive on the Desktop. Double-click this and a window should appear with a blue VISE icon. This is the printer driver installer, double-click this icon.

2. Follow the on screen prompts to install the driver, restarting the Mac once the installation has been completed.

3. Once restarted the driver needs adding to the printer list. To do this click on the Apple icon then System Preferences. Choose "Print & Fax" and ensure it is set on "Printing". If the gutenprint driver is listed here, highlight it then choose the delete option (this can normally be done by clicking the [-] minus sign.

4. Normally, USB printers will add themselves automatically. Check the list for your printer. If listed, highlight the printer and the driver information will appear on the right. Under "Kind" the printer name should be listed, i.e. Epson SP R300 Series with a version in brackets. If a gutenprint driver is listed or the 'Kind' indicates a different printer model delete this driver.

5. If the Epson driver is not listed, click the add icon button
  • towards the bottom-left of the window. The window that will appear first will be the Printer Browser. Connected printers with a valid driver installed should appear, highlight it and click the "Add" button. Do not choose a different model from the list of printers that may be present. If 'Add' is greyed out, leave the browser open for 10 minutes and ensure that the printer is powered on and connected directly to the Mac. Do not connect it via a third party device such as a USB hub or hub in a keyboard.

6. The printer should now be added to the printer list.
Try a print from Text Edit, as it is native to OS X. Go to File > Page Setup. Choose the SP RX500 Series under "Format For" and a page size then click OK. Go to File > Print, choose the printer name under "Format For". The standard, default dialogue box is very basic and if not expanded, important changes cannot be made such as paper type and print quality.

To display the full dialogue, click on the arrow to the right of the "Format For" and printer name field. This will reveal the advanced menu. Choose the printer name under "Format For". The settings are now controlled by selecting an item from the lower drop-down list. To show Epson specific-settings, choose "Print Settings".
Make settings as appropriate and proceed to print. Some printers will have further options on the "Copies & Pages" menu such as "Color Management" and "Extension Settings". If "Print Settings" is not present, the Epson driver has not been added and a third party driver is in use and will often result in poor print quality.

If this is successful, the printer is ready to use.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

nixphoto

Osx10.5 & epson 2200
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:16:31 pm »

Dear free1000,

As we say in the South, bless yo' heart. Your outline for restoring a 2400 has enabled me to keep the old 2200 going. It may be old but it is in great shape. I was about to junk it and get a new printer. After searching a lot of websites, I found your post. By following the bottom section of the post I was able to get the 2200 back running. I know the internet is flooded with 2200 owners who are dispairing of getting them to operate with OS 10.5. I wonder if there is way to tag these directions for 2200 users. I suspect some of them, like me could benefit. Thanks a thousand.

Charles Nix

Ed Dubois

Osx10.5 & epson 2200
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:37:15 pm »

I wish someone could be this detailed and succinct with getting the Canon iPF5000 to work with OSX... sigh
Pages: [1]   Go Up