Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticking Zoom on Canon 24-105 L IS f4  (Read 4245 times)

pco98

Sticking Zoom on Canon 24-105 L IS f4
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:22:05 am »

Hello all,

I've been using this workhorse lens a lot on the road - last 4 months I was in India and it started to sometimes stick at the same point on the zoom (about halfway). A bit of zooming back and forth at this point unsticks it but something needs to be done.

Any tips on fixing (don't mind to do minor disassembling by myself if need be)?

Kind regards,

Ross

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

Try lots of canned air while zooming in and out.

Or better yet, take it to a repair shop - whatever is causing the sticking might dislodge and cause all kinds of havoc inside.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:10:25 pm »

I had a rep at a camera store once recommend mineral oil to me for a zoom lens, but I never took him up on it on the basis that if it dripped inside I'd never get it out.  You could try blowing it out, but a repair shop is your best bet.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

schrodingerscat

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:23:21 pm »

I had a rep at a camera store once recommend mineral oil to me for a zoom lens, but I never took him up on it on the basis that if it dripped inside I'd never get it out.  You could try blowing it out, but a repair shop is your best bet.

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216996\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

YOWZA!

Very bad idea. Avoid using any lubricants on any part of a modern lens or camera. Blasting with air can also cause more problems than cures.

Sounds like either there is dirt built up on the slots of the zoom tubes or one of the rollers is coming loose. In either case, off to the shop with it, sooner rather than later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up