Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow Exposures Leaf 54S - Hasselblad V System  (Read 3127 times)

mattpeyton

Slow Exposures Leaf 54S - Hasselblad V System
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:24:04 am »

Folks - I'm trying to troubleshoot a bug that we've been getting.  We're shooting the LEAF 54S on a 555 ELD back and 503 CW back.   Lovely system, daily driver.  Any shots under 15th of a second get 'halo' effect around highlights.  Very pronounced - not subtle - images unusable.  I'm told it's because the V system lenses don't send a 'close' message from the PC jack to the back - although we used to drag the shutter on the Aptus 22 all the time. Anyone seen this before, figured it out?  It's the same across all my Hassy lenses BUT ONE, the 40mm, for some reason that one works <weird>

yaya

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 02:43:51 am »

Folks - I'm trying to troubleshoot a bug that we've been getting.  We're shooting the LEAF 54S on a 555 ELD back and 503 CW back.   Lovely system, daily driver.  Any shots under 15th of a second get 'halo' effect around highlights.  Very pronounced - not subtle - images unusable.  I'm told it's because the V system lenses don't send a 'close' message from the PC jack to the back - although we used to drag the shutter on the Aptus 22 all the time. Anyone seen this before, figured it out?  It's the same across all my Hassy lenses BUT ONE, the 40mm, for some reason that one works <weird>
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Matt any chance you can send me a raw file to have a look at?

vandevanterSH

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:17:43 am »

Folks - I'm trying to troubleshoot a bug that we've been getting.  We're shooting the LEAF 54S on a 555 ELD back and 503 CW back.   Lovely system, daily driver.  Any shots under 15th of a second get 'halo' effect around highlights.  Very pronounced - not subtle - images unusable.  I'm told it's because the V system lenses don't send a 'close' message from the PC jack to the back - although we used to drag the shutter on the Aptus 22 all the time. Anyone seen this before, figured it out?  It's the same across all my Hassy lenses BUT ONE, the 40mm, for some reason that one works <weird>
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Probably not much help but when using a Hasselblad back with those bodies, adjustments need to be made if exposure is  longer than 1/8 sec.  This can be done by either making a change using the backs' menu or by a pc cord from the lens to the flash "in" sync port on the back.  So at least with the CFV, the back does get a signal from the lens.

Steve

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:56:15 am »

The Hasselblad backs have this option.

I don't recall seeing that in my Leaf backs. I have used several Leaf backs with several different V type contraptions and all of them worked just fine without the need to set sync speed in the backs menu (like you can on the Hasselblad backs).

ngophotographer

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 04:18:51 pm »

I used a Phase One back for the last couple of years on a Hassy 501CM with CF and CFi lenses.  Every once in a while, I had problems with the back not syncing-- seemed to be random, but my problem was clearly centered around the Sync cable.  I noticed that moving from speeds over 1/60 of a second down to 1/8 or 1/4 sec aggravated the problem.

I would try to isolate the problem to one of the two areas: (1) DB problem or (2) Lens flash terminal/sync problem

(1) Do you have another Leaf back or a dealer who can lend you a back to test?  Just to make sure it isn't your back or the cable connector on the DB.  Then you can narrow it down to specific lenses or the back.

(2) The Hassy lenses use a mechanical sync in the flash terminal, you may want to try a different PC/Interface cord between the lens and the body.

In addition, you may want to make sure the PC socket and sync connectors on the lens are in good shape, i.e. "up to factory spec".  

When I started using the P-back with my V system, my dealer gave me a heads up and said they had problems with some of the Hassy lenses syncing correctly--- it usually turned out to be that the flash terminal/sync parts were worn.  He added that once the lenses were overhauled, they worked fine.  Fortunately, most of my lenses were modern CFs or CFis and recently serviced.

Hope this helps.

Rich
NGOphotographer
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:19:58 pm by ngophotographer »

mattpeyton

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 04:57:48 pm »

OK the problem has been found.  One of my lenses isn't returning the shutter diaphram all the way open.  The Hassy guys said it's a controller ring.  Once that lens had been on the body, none of them worked with the LEAF.  The Leaf guys were able to reset the back by firing the body with NO lens at all.  Very weird. The Hassy lens in question had been serviced this year, and so it's a free fix.  Yay.  All's worked out, many thanks for all the help here!
Pages: [1]   Go Up