Poll

Would you consider D700 as backup for MF-DB system?

Yes
- 13 (25.5%)
No
- 24 (47.1%)
In some cases
- 14 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: D700 as backup for MF-DB shooter  (Read 10466 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
D700 as backup for MF-DB shooter
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 09:03:42 am »

I use Speedotron Force F10 monolights. These beasts can delivery huge amount of power, yet they also can be dimmed to very low output - thanks to 8 f-stops adjustable range! (http://www.speedotron.com/F10Spec.htm). Whats even better, at lower power levels they can let me shoot at 5 frames per second - a perfect match for D700 - something I could not do yet with any medium format camera.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 02:24:35 pm »

The dynamic range will suffer AFAIK. So nikon don't suggest to use D700's iso100
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i haven't tried the expansion feature yet on the d700, but with the canons,  i did/do find that in going below the native 100, there is a tendency for highlights to more easily burn out, so you do have to pay attention to the tonal range of the scene.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 09:55:49 am »

I wonder if there is any lens in Nikon family that could compare in sharpness to Mamiya lenses? So far I cannot get really sharp images with D700 - wonder if 35mm lenses are much inferior. Looking at MTF charts, it seems that Nikon lenses are starting to deliver sharpness from 200mm and up. Under 200mm you get mixed results while all my Mamiya lenses (55, 80, 150 AF) are sharp.

P.S.
(I realize this question may belong to 35mm threads, but as it is still in the context of MF it is here)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:58:00 am by MichaelEzra »

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 11:12:10 am »

For sharpness you should try 14-24/2.8, I've  never saw a 135format wide angle lens better than this.
You can also try TLR sharpening tools, which you can find via google.

I wonder if there is any lens in Nikon family that could compare in sharpness to Mamiya lenses? So far I cannot get really sharp images with D700 - wonder if 35mm lenses are much inferior. Looking at MTF charts, it seems that Nikon lenses are starting to deliver sharpness from 200mm and up. Under 200mm you get mixed results while all my Mamiya lenses (55, 80, 150 AF) are sharp.

P.S.
(I realize this question may belong to 35mm threads, but as it is still in the context of MF it is here)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216939\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 11:26:06 am »

P.S.

It think what you are also seeing is the difference between a camera fitted with an AA filter and one without.  The ZD and 55 /80 / Macro combinations can be amazingly sharp below F/11 where diffraction can start to kick in.  Even the slightly lesser 35mm on the ZD is decent.  

The D700 has a fairly strong AA filter.  I think that most 35mm format lenses resolve more than their MF counterparts but this is being obscured by the effect of the AA filter.  If Nikon produced a digital SLR with a user removable AA filter, just like the old Kodak DCS 760 had, then you'd see the same level of sharpness as with the ZD or other no-AA filter cameras.  Indeed I know that to be the case from using my 760 and also a Kodak 14nx which has no AA filter.

Quentin
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:26:41 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 11:50:53 am »

P.S.

Not sure which lenses you are using?If you want the some really sharp lenses and don't mind using MF (manual focus in this context). Have a look at some of the Zeiss ZF lenses.

I really like the 35/2.0, 50/2.0macro. The 28/2.0 should also be a really sharp lens. Personally I am less satisfied with the 25/2.8. The ZF's are as sharp (if not sharper) as my HC lenses (compared on the same sensor).

The 14-24 should be in a league of its own. I don't have that one yet but I will certainly get it. Same should apply for the 24-70. I am more a prime user but for convenience will get the zooms as well. These unfortunately are G design lenses so I cannot use them om the DigiFlex to compare the lenses with my medium format lenses with the same sensor.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:52:34 am by Dustbak »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 11:57:49 am »

It think what you are also seeing is the difference between a camera fitted with an AA filter and one without.  The ZD and 55 /80 / Macro combinations can be amazingly sharp below F/11 where diffraction can start to kick in.  Even the slightly lesser 35mm on the ZD is decent. 

The D700 has a fairly strong AA filter.  I think that most 35mm format lenses resolve more than their MF counterparts but this is being obscured by the effect of the AA filter.  If Nikon produced a digital SLR with a user removable AA filter, just like the old Kodak DCS 760 had, then you'd see the same level of sharpness as with the ZD or other no-AA filter cameras.  Indeed I know that to be the case from using my 760 and also a Kodak 14nx which has no AA filter.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216958\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To me the biggest failing of the dslrs is the aggressive aa filter.  I also used a dcs 760 and except for the color casts in skin tones, it was really a great camera with a lot of options.  Had Kodak continued with it's development I think there would be a lot less Canon 1ds' in this world.

Regardless, the Nikon D3 and the Canon 1ds3 have very aggressive softening.  It shows less or more depending on the lenses and lighting, though sharpening is always a work of art, usually requiring separate layers in photoshop to get the effect with halos or splitting.

It's interesting that sharpening or an over sharpened look can also take a lot away from the idea of does digital look like film.

This week shooting on location, we started with the p30+ in 3.78 and the Canon in eos utitility.

The art director looked at the c1 previews then the canon previews and preferred the Canon, mostly because 3.78 previews are small renderings and can look harsh.

Now in the end, I can do more with a medium format file than I can a file from a dslr, but this project was a series of real women in natural settings (I guess all women are real, but in this case not models is a better term), so everyone was very sensitive to an oversharp look as it wasn't as flattering.

There really is three stages of digital capture.  The very first the preview and that sets the tone for the day.   If the preview is beautiful everyone takes a deep breath and the mood of the room is very positive.  

Sometimes we will hot folder to Light-room (which really slows up the process) with presets so the AD can see very close to what the final will be like.   Even by slowing it up, it still makes for a more positive shoot, in that everyone has a very good idea of what direction the final look will be.

I never want to use the words, don't worry it will look good in post.  You want to be there almost
immediately.

Still, if it's ultra sharpness you want your pretty much limited to the medium format backs or the Leica.

In regards to the Nikon lenses, I have both of the new wide zooms, the prime 200 f2 and the 400 2.8 and they are are brillinatly sharp.

JR
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:59:46 am by James R Russell »

Conner999

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 12:28:44 pm »

No need to apologize, perfectly clear now. Thanks.

I'm sorry for this. When I say PL I mean polarization lens, and CPL should be for Circular polarization lens. A CPL should be used for nikon D700, but PL is ok if AF is not that crucial for you.

A PL usually lower the light by 1.5-2 stops, so the effective base iso for D700 with a PL should be iso50-64. Did I make it clear? sorry if not coz my english really sucks...

regards,
dustblue
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 04:57:35 pm »

the only camera out that will give you a DMF "look" and crispness is the leica m8.....i looked at the D3 (same sensor as D700) and it is really optimized for clean high iso shooting....it does a lot of other things very well as well but that is what it is best at....
the problem with the leica is the pixel count...yes the files can be blown up quite a bit and pixel per pixel it might come close to DMF quality but 10mpix are 10mpix and after cropping there is not much room to play.....
the D3 files are really soft....yes they can be sharpened but.....
the dsMKIII has the advantage of the pixel count and is still sharper (weaker AA filter?) then the D3 without any sharpening....
so it depends on which size you need to go up to....

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 11:07:12 pm »

i've been shooting with a leaf back mated to a mamiya body, a 1ds3 and a 5d for a while.  i recently replaced the 5d with a d700.  i never really thought of the canons or now the canon and the nikon as being a back-ups, as all the cameras have different strenghts.  which system or camera i use is largely a function of what i am shooting, and for whom.  there have been times when i have shot a session with both the leaf and a canon, and the canon produced "the shot"; and other times the dslr never makes it out of the bag.   when i look at the money i have spent on  canon and nikon gear, i could have easily bought a second back, but i actually like the idea of having the different systems which cover the spectrum from high resolution to high iso performance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Amen to that. I recently bought a 85mm 1.2 Canon lens to give that medium format focus look if I need more flexibility  than I can get with a MF back - it works very well but much of the time there is  a look I just can't get with 35mm and its time to get out the MF. Quality wise there isn't much argument, MF wins , flexibility and high iso wise there is no argument either.
I guess 35mm is useful as a backup, but it isn't really the same as MF , no matter what the advertising says.

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 11:30:25 pm »

It think what you are also seeing is the difference between a camera fitted with an AA filter and one without.  The ZD and 55 /80 / Macro combinations can be amazingly sharp below F/11 where diffraction can start to kick in.  Even the slightly lesser 35mm on the ZD is decent. 

The D700 has a fairly strong AA filter.  I think that most 35mm format lenses resolve more than their MF counterparts but this is being obscured by the effect of the AA filter.  If Nikon produced a digital SLR with a user removable AA filter, just like the old Kodak DCS 760 had, then you'd see the same level of sharpness as with the ZD or other no-AA filter cameras.  Indeed I know that to be the case from using my 760 and also a Kodak 14nx which has no AA filter.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216958\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was looking at some 16x12's from my dcs 760 the other day and thinking they were pretty good for a 6mp camera, but I am still in therapy  from late night desperate moire removal. I still have it and pull it out for the odd small  internet product shoot. Some of the older files which I could never get quite right in photodesk come up very nice in later versions of ACR, with a lot more options for controlling the camera's deficiencies. I think Kodak had digital colour sorted very well - while the resolution is low by recent standards, the colour seems very natural compared to the Canon's I now use.
The 14nx , which I also had, had no AA filter, was brilliantly sharp too( with great colour!) but paid the penalty for its clunky operation and noise from no AA filter, still needed some sharpening but had detail that has only been surpassed by the 1ds3 in my opinion. I had it as a poor man's digital back and for that it worked very well. I sold it to a friend - who is still a friend and uses it in a number of product/ portrait areas, none that strain its abilities. I now have a wealthier man's MF back - with only slightly more advanced ccd technology than the DCS760, and probably roughly equivalent battery consumption.

I think after the 14n /nx experience it would be a brave manufacturer that would release an AA filter less SLR on to the market. Leica had to really scramble when a few issues cropped up with their cameras - funnily enough many of those issues us 14n/nx owners ahd been quite familiar with.

tho_mas

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 04:22:18 am »

The art director looked at the c1 previews then the canon previews and preferred the Canon, mostly because 3.78 previews are small renderings and can look harsh.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
C1 V4.1.2 is out. Though I prefer 3.7.8 in general V4 has some advantages:
1. preview quality; fast 100% zoom in
2. previews without sharpening (hence without artifacts as in V3)
(impossible in V3 as V3 still applies some sharpening even with the sharpening sliders set to zero; output without sharpening is possible when "disable sharpening" is set in the preferences - but for the previews there is always some sharpening and in V3 it really looks "harsh".)
3. lens correction for the Contax lenses (and it works extremely well)

Third item let me switch to V4 now while still waiting for V4 pro.
Maybe you will give it a try...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:33:13 am by tho_mas »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 06:46:24 am »

I think after the 14n /nx experience it would be a brave manufacturer that would release an AA filter less SLR on to the market.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think that so long as the AA filter could be made removable, as with the DCS 760, and interchangeable with an IR filter, again like the 760, then it should be OK.  Of course the reason the Kodak 14n/nx/SLR/n/c series had no AA filter was to save cost.  In a sense it worked, because the Kodaks were relatively affordable and remain the highest resolution dslrs in Nikon mount to this day.  I still have my 14nx but it is used but rarely.

Nikon are rumoured to be working on a modular dslr.  If that ever gets produced, then it really must have a removable AA filter.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 12:11:58 pm »

from what I've seen in post situations, the D3 chipset has heavy AA and can appear soft and doesn't sharpen up as well as say a canon 5D, but neither compare to MFDB...what about renting a AFD/ZD combo or just a ZD back and buy a used AFD?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up