Poll

Would you consider D700 as backup for MF-DB system?

Yes
- 13 (25.5%)
No
- 24 (47.1%)
In some cases
- 14 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: D700 as backup for MF-DB shooter  (Read 10468 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
D700 as backup for MF-DB shooter
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:50:48 pm »

It would be interesing to see what is are the opinions of MF shooters on D700 as a possible backup system.

I find D700 to be a very versatile camera; It is very responsive, has a decent dynamic range and ultimate high ISO capability.

Personally, I am concerned with pixel-level sharpness in comparison to no AA DB. Yet, even that can be of benefit in cases when DB struggles with moire problems.

Please share your thoughts and views on this subject.
Thanks,

TMARK

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »

It would be interesing to see what is are the opinions of MF shooters on D700 as a possible backup system.

I find D700 to be a very versatile camera; It is very responsive, has a decent dynamic range and ultimate high ISO capability.

Personally, I am concerned with pixel-level sharpness in comparison to no AA DB. Yet, even that can be of benefit in cases when DB struggles with moire problems.

Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My opinion applies to commercial shoots. To be honest, I don't think what you use as a a backup matters.  It would be nice to have a second back, but for 99% of things any dslr will do.  Better yet, to match the MF look, just shoot some MF film that is close to digital in look, such as a chrome like Provia or E100GX.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

I have not had a chance to pick up and use a d700 yet, but I think it starts at a base of iso 200?

That might be an issue for you, and if I'm wrong someone please correct me!

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 02:52:27 pm »

Personally, I am concerned with pixel-level sharpness in comparison to no AA DB.
With regard to pixel sharpness maybe the Leica M8 (with IR filter) - if you don't need AF and mirror.
With regard to overall resolution 1DsMKIII or maybe (probably) the upcoming Sony or EOS 5D upgrade.
I'd wait and take a look at the Sony...

I'm wondering about the popularity of D3/D700. In low ISO it's not really better than the EOS 5D. But of course a great step forward in high ISO and frame rate. So from my point of view these two cameras are specialized high speed cameras and I wonder if everyone now is shooting action photos in the night or sports...

ixpressraf

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 03:05:38 pm »

A back-up for a digital back is a second digital back. A 6Mp will do and will give you the same look as your other back. It's the same as asking : will a porche be a good back-up for my scania truck??? answer : yes it will ; it will transport you to an other place, it's faster, more ergonomic, better looking but.... thats it. It never is a replacement for a truck... nor will a dslr be a back-up for a MD digital.
It will make photos, just as all other digital stuff but never the same look or feel.
Why don't just pick up a used 6 Mp?????

tho_mas

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:11:25 pm »

A back-up for a digital back is a second digital back...
Why don't just pick up a used 6 Mp?????[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216526\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
or P21 refurbished. The Nikon with some glass will be about the same...
But I noticed that Michael has a ZD ...

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:21:40 pm »

Same here, I have another MFDB as a backup.

I will get a D700 to go with the D300 but that is for a different purpose and different circumstances. In some cases I take the D300 with me just in case I cannot get the job done with the MFDB. I always hope I can keep the Nikon in the bag but will revert to it if necessary.

ixpressraf

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 03:30:05 pm »

A used H5 or valeo6 goes about 1000 euro, thats for free!!!

tho_mas

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 03:32:54 pm »

A used H5 or valeo6 goes about 1000 euro, thats for free!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes... but I think IQ will suffer a little bit when he mounts the back on the finder...  

MichaelEzra

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:42:43 pm »

The truth is, that in my case, I already have Nikon lenses.

I wanted to have a second system, fast  and reliable versatile 35mm DSLR, which would also serve as a backup if necessary. D700 seems like the best candidate and I am interested in your guys opinion on this, hence the poll.

What I would ultimately like to have is the MF system that would be as versatile as D700 is interms of usability, but we would need to wait for that another 3-5 years at least.

tho_mas

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:47:13 pm »

I already have Nikon lenses. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216534\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
isn't there a 24MP FF Nikon annoncend or at least rumors about one? So maybe you'd wait for Photokina...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:47:41 pm by tho_mas »

TMARK

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 06:09:33 pm »

What I would ultimately like to have is the MF system that would be as versatile as D700 is interms of usability, but we would need to wait for that another 3-5 years at least.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216534\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Amen to that.  And it will cost more than a nice sail boat when they do introduce it.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 08:16:28 pm »

Thanks,
i've been shooting with a leaf back mated to a mamiya body, a 1ds3 and a 5d for a while.  i recently replaced the 5d with a d700.  i never really thought of the canons or now the canon and the nikon as being a back-ups, as all the cameras have different strenghts.  which system or camera i use is largely a function of what i am shooting, and for whom.  there have been times when i have shot a session with both the leaf and a canon, and the canon produced "the shot"; and other times the dslr never makes it out of the bag.   when i look at the money i have spent on  canon and nikon gear, i could have easily bought a second back, but i actually like the idea of having the different systems which cover the spectrum from high resolution to high iso performance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:31:01 pm by canmiya »

MichaelEzra

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 08:59:31 pm »

Thank you all for your replies.

It is interesting that at this moment there is 21 votes in the poll, all equally spread across the answers: Yes - 7, No - 7, In some cases - 7.

This perfectly reflects my hopes and doubts. 12 MP 35mm dSLR with high IQ is great but not perfect. At the same time I feel that my MF system needs a complimentary speedy camera.  I have some concerns about a hypothetical  24 mp Nikon (or Sony) - whether it will have good enough DR. Their pixels will be similar in size to those in high end DB-s, but will they be of the same IQ...

Due to the timing pressure with trip to Russia in the beginning of September, I guess I have already made a decision to go with D700 instead of 24 MP 35mm and just am trying to find peace with myself:)

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 04:04:15 am »

I use D700 for editorial works now and I found base iso200 is a bit high too. My solution is add a PL in front of the lens, make it equal to iso64 or so, it works, especially when you shoot stills like bottles or lipsticks, whatever, add a PL  always give me surprises, I like it.

I have not had a chance to pick up and use a d700 yet, but I think it starts at a base of iso 200?

That might be an issue for you, and if I'm wrong someone please correct me!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216516\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yaya

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 06:07:08 am »

I'd love to have a D700 for the things it can do that a DB can't - fast AF, Shooting JPEGs and high ISO, but as a backup for a Digital back I would take another back of the same make (if possible) and probably a 2nd hand/ lower resolution one - cheaper but capable and still offers some future proofing.

Much of it depends on the type of work you do, of course.

Yair

Conner999

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 09:13:39 am »

My coffee hasn't kicked in yet - could you elaborate re: PL (?) and effect on (effective) base ISO?

Thanks

R

I use D700 for editorial works now and I found base iso200 is a bit high too. My solution is add a PL in front of the lens, make it equal to iso64 or so, it works, especially when you shoot stills like bottles or lipsticks, whatever, add a PL  always give me surprises, I like it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216618\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dustblue

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 09:32:01 am »

I'm sorry for this. When I say PL I mean polarization lens, and CPL should be for Circular polarization lens. A CPL should be used for nikon D700, but PL is ok if AF is not that crucial for you.

A PL usually lower the light by 1.5-2 stops, so the effective base iso for D700 with a PL should be iso50-64. Did I make it clear? sorry if not coz my english really sucks...

regards,
dustblue

My coffee hasn't kicked in yet - could you elaborate re: PL (?) and effect on (effective) base ISO?

Thanks

R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hauxon

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 07:35:47 am »

The D700 is able to shoot at iso100.  Don't know if it suffers in quality compared to the base iso 200.  I often use my Canons (5D & 1DsII) at ISO50 and don't feel the IQ loss is much noticable with what I shoot.

But the problem in studio with 35mm cameras is that the glass is too fast for the strobes.  If I like to get a similar image from 35m gear I need roughtly have my lenses 2 stops more open.   This means that I need to shoot my 50mm lens at f/1.4 for similar focus depth as a 80mm lens at f/2.8 on a MF camera.

Here's a shot where ISO50 wasnt low enough using my 35mm gear. Here I needed to shoot using only the modelling lights since the glass was too fast fort the strobes for the desired dof.  Remeber dof is way thinner on MF cameras, I need to use my 50/1.2 lens at f/1.4 for the same focus depth as a 80mm lens at f/2.8 on a 645.  

dustblue

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 07:58:49 am »

The dynamic range will suffer AFAIK. So nikon don't suggest to use D700's iso100

The D700 is able to shoot at iso100.  Don't know if it suffers in quality compared to the base iso 200.  I often use my Canons (5D & 1DsII) at ISO50 and don't feel the IQ loss is much noticable with what I shoot.

But the problem in studio with 35mm cameras is that the glass is too fast for the strobes.  If I like to get a similar image from 35m gear I need roughtly have my lenses 2 stops more open.   This means that I need to shoot my 50mm lens at f/1.4 for similar focus depth as a 80mm lens at f/2.8 on a MF camera.

Here's a shot where ISO50 wasnt low enough using my 35mm gear. Here I needed to shoot using only the modelling lights since the glass was too fast fort the strobes for the desired dof.  Remeber dof is way thinner on MF cameras, I need to use my 50/1.2 lens at f/1.4 for the same focus depth as a 80mm lens at f/2.8 on a 645. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up