Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IDs III battery  (Read 3625 times)

Jon Meddings

IDs III battery
« on: August 21, 2008, 10:42:17 am »

I know this sounds nuts folks - I mean after spending a fortune on the camera why scrimp on a backup power supply after all. However, we're leaving on a longish camping trip where recharging may be tricky and bringing a couple of extra batteries seems to make sense.

However, looking at the prices I can get 4 of the 3rd party replacements at B&H for the price of one of the Canon ones. I'm sure the Canon is better, lasts longer etc but a factor of 4 sure catches my eye! Anyone had any experience with these "Impact" LP E4 batteries? Anyone have any suggestions for a smaller replacement charger?

sean mills

IDs III battery
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 10:46:51 am »

The 1ds3 batteries last so long and are so reliable I havent even looked into the 3rd party batts. Also, 4 batteries are going to take up quite a bit more space... something to think about anyways.

I'm going to Spain in October and plan on bringing charged 2 canon batteries and no charger to save on space / weight.

ruraltrekker

IDs III battery
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21:46 am »

However, we're leaving on a longish camping trip where recharging may be tricky and bringing a couple of extra batteries seems to make sense.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Define "longish"?

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
IDs III battery
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:02:34 pm »

Define "longish"?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

2500 captures

Jon Meddings

IDs III battery
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:10:44 pm »

Define "longish"?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well lets see - it will be for 14 days and is primarily for photography, both landscape and animals (birds). I can easily drain a battery per day doing this unfortunately.

ruraltrekker

IDs III battery
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 01:16:45 pm »

Well lets see - it will be for 14 days and is primarily for photography, both landscape and animals (birds). I can easily drain a battery per day doing this unfortunately.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really? How many images are you shooting in a day?

I have done 14 day trips with two batteries (and that was the MKII battery though I now use the MKIII which is way, way better) including some pretty cold temps (10,000 feet in October) and did just fine on those without charge (no place to charge as in your case).

I have also shot week long jobs with just one MKIII battery (4000+ clicks). Granted this is tops for the battery in a more ideal situation.

I agree with witz that 2500 is a good average number for clicks/per battery.

So I ask again, how many clicks are you doing in a day?

Ken
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:17:52 pm by ruraltrekker »

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
IDs III battery
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:50:46 pm »

Do people really buy an $8000 camera, and then risk damaging it to save a couple of dollars on spare batteries?  

framah

IDs III battery
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 05:03:31 pm »

I suggest buying the Canon batteries. I did buy one of the aftermarket batteries a few years ago and I always had trouble getting it to seat tight enough so the lock would work. Now it won't even do that. It is pretty much useless as it won't seat in the camera anymore. Not sure why but all of my Canon batteries  fit fine.

As always, cheaper isn't always better.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Jon Meddings

IDs III battery
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:57:25 pm »

Really? How many images are you shooting in a day?

I have done 14 day trips with two batteries (and that was the MKII battery though I now use the MKIII which is way, way better) including some pretty cold temps (10,000 feet in October) and did just fine on those without charge (no place to charge as in your case).

I have also shot week long jobs with just one MKIII battery (4000+ clicks). Granted this is tops for the battery in a more ideal situation.

I agree with witz that 2500 is a good average number for clicks/per battery.

So I ask again, how many clicks are you doing in a day?

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216501\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting Ken - I don't get 2500 clicks per charge. More like 12-1500 (and heck I don't even really chimp that often..) and although I don't normally shoot that in a day for landscape I certainly can with animals. My normal is around 1,000 per day on a landscape shoot (this with bracketing each shot and pans).

So, I'm still worried about running out of charge. I also agree that I prefer Canon batteries and worry about 3rd parties (this is why the question in the first place obviously) but I don't think I'm totally out to lunch on this.

I've use other manufacturers batteries in the past and had better performance/longevity than Canon batteries in some cases. Although I've heard about the poor fit for some (1DII in particular) I've not had that issue. Given your comments above of 2500 clicks/charge I wonder whether my Canon battery is not as good as it should be!

ruraltrekker

IDs III battery
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 08:50:37 am »

Jon,

In my situation I think it was good planet alignment to get that awsome count. But I do get 2500 on the battery.

Since there are no stupid questions:

So you will shoot 10-20000 images on your 14 days. So what is your plan for storage? I am guessing a laptop would be too much weight/size/extra betteries, so are you using an Epson or something similar to copy to?

On the battery issue, why don't you take two Canon & two generic? Seems that would be the best solution. Now I still don't understand that if you can exhaust a battery in one day (which I have yet to have been able to do) what will you do for the other 10 days of your trip?  

Ken

Jon Meddings

IDs III battery
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 09:52:21 am »

Jon,

In my situation I think it was good planet alignment to get that awsome count. But I do get 2500 on the battery.

Since there are no stupid questions:

So you will shoot 10-20000 images on your 14 days. So what is your plan for storage? I am guessing a laptop would be too much weight/size/extra betteries, so are you using an Epson or something similar to copy to?

On the battery issue, why don't you take two Canon & two generic? Seems that would be the best solution. Now I still don't understand that if you can exhaust a battery in one day (which I have yet to have been able to do) what will you do for the other 10 days of your trip?   

Ken
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Storage is a pain Ken - all too correct. What I use is a very small mini laptop ( like [a href=\"http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/info.asp?c1=3&c2=12&id=2580]http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/product...3&c2=12&id=2580[/url] ). Don't know if you've seen these. About 2 lb in weight but to me the advantage is that the battery lasts forever (rated at 4 hours but I have gotten around 6). 2 USB ports and with a WD 360 Gb pocket drive I can keep all my shots. I normally carry 2 of the drives. Screen is useless but I don't use this for much else.

Ken the other thing is that I expect to be able to recharge somewhere/sometime - I will have a car available with an inverter but I just don't know when I'll be getting back to it and so I'd like to have a few days (4-5) grace with power. I suspect that I'll do pretty much what you've suggested and after testing the generic's might even go with 2-3 Canon's.

ARD

• http://
IDs III battery
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 10:11:32 am »

Have you considered something like a solar bag

Solar Bag

I have not had any experience using them though, but someone on here might have and will be able to advise if they are any good or not
Pages: [1]   Go Up