Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singh-Ray Gold-blue polarizer  (Read 5778 times)

Khurram

Singh-Ray Gold-blue polarizer
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:38:51 am »

After years of thinking about picking up this filter, i finally did pick it up this summer.

I've got a few questions. I liked the filter's effect when looking through the viewfinder, but later when processing my raw files, I had a hard time trying to replicate what I saw throught he viewfinder.

I tried playing around with with the WB setting in DPP when processing my raw file, but just couldn't get what I wanted.  Is there anything else I should be doing???

ANy suggestions on processing raw files when using this filter would be appreciated (note i do all my processing in DPP not CS3).
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

francois

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:39:21 am »

After years of thinking about picking up this filter, i finally did pick it up this summer.

I've got a few questions. I liked the filter's effect when looking through the viewfinder, but later when processing my raw files, I had a hard time trying to replicate what I saw throught he viewfinder.

I tried playing around with with the WB setting in DPP when processing my raw file, but just couldn't get what I wanted.  Is there anything else I should be doing???

ANy suggestions on processing raw files when using this filter would be appreciated (note i do all my processing in DPP not CS3).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm trying to find a neutral object and and use it as a white balance reference point. IIRC, a similar technique was demonstrated on Singh-Ray Filters [a href=\"http://singhray.blogspot.com/]blog[/url] or on Nature Photographer website.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:04:47 am by francois »
Francois

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:22:32 am »

I liked the filter's effect when looking through the viewfinder, but later when processing my raw files, I had a hard time trying to replicate what I saw throught he viewfinder.
If you want an effect from a filter, take a white balance reading before you install the filter on the lens. In other words, take a shot of the scene with no filter and your white balance card in the scene. This will give you a true white balance reading. Then install the filter, compose and take your shot. In DPP, use your white balance scene/reading to adjust the shot taken with your filter.

The problem your having is that you're white balancing the shot with the filter in use and this negates its effect.
~ CB

fennario

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

If you want an effect from a filter, take a white balance reading before you install the filter on the lens. In other words, take a shot of the scene with no filter and your white balance card in the scene. This will give you a true white balance reading. Then install the filter, compose and take your shot. In DPP, use your white balance scene/reading to adjust the shot taken with your filter.

The problem your having is that you're white balancing the shot with the filter in use and this negates its effect.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216446\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to disagree with respect to the G&B polarizer... the balancing should occur with the filtered image.  I tend to find the WB with the G&B is usually something like 2300k with a -60 tint due to the magenta cast regardless of whether it is polarizing gold or blue wavelengths.  The net result is to get a normalized image with the additional polarization effect.

[attachment=8021:attachment]

[attachment=8022:attachment]

[attachment=8023:attachment]

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

How is this effect applied across the image?  Does unpolarized go towards the one color and polarized the other?

I've dicked around with using LR's duotone controls on color photos but I'm assuming this is not the same thing.

fennario

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 04:12:55 pm »

How is this effect applied across the image?  Does unpolarized go towards the one color and polarized the other?

I've dicked around with using LR's duotone controls on color photos but I'm assuming this is not the same thing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216699\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The filter only operates on polarized light in the blue or gold wavelengths (depends on rotation of filter).  It does not affect non-polarized light, and the effect is not easily done in PP, however, it does have a magenta cast so you will need to shoot RAW and WB in order to arrive at a proper image.  Also, if you stack a ND then the effect is magnified.

The Point Pleasant Sunset image from my post above is a good example of the manner in which the filter operates on a properly WB'd image... note the gold within the foliage in the foreground and the beam of light reflected on the ocean.

If the scene has multiple polarized light sources then it is possible to get both a blue and a gold effect within the same image due to the different angles of the polarized light. Note the blue that creeped in at the top and right facing rocks within the Golden Rocks image due to the different angles.  Also, if you screw the image up by dialing in too much gold or blue, it is very difficult to recover the image (lots of time with LAB curves, masking, etc.).

I have attached a series of three rock images: blue with ND, gold with ND, and Gold with ND that has been desaturated (dialed in way too much gold).

[attachment=8031:attachment][attachment=8032:attachment][attachment=8033:attachm
ent]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:20:47 pm by fennario »
Pages: [1]   Go Up