Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration with Spyder 3  (Read 11372 times)

Mark F

Monitor Calibration with Spyder 3
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

Getting ready to start making my own prints, have a new iMac and wish to buy a monitor calibration device. I'm thinking of the Spyder 3 Elite (budget limitations) but am a little worried that it seems a lot less expensive than the Xrite Eye One.  Any thoughts on whether the Spyder 3 is good enough to do the job? I do not understand the technology well enough to understand the price difference.

Thanks.

Mark
Mark

theophilus

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:43:17 pm »

For what its worth I had an eye1 for two years, it broke, and I bought another eye1.  I just wasn't convinced on the Spyder 3.

JF3012

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:00:14 am »

I owned the Spyder 3 Elite and replaced it for a i1 photo LT (munky came out 3 month after !) because i quickly realised i needed printer CM as well.  If you want your prints and display to match exactly it wont be easy if you calibrate only your screen !

So, if your printer dont have an integrated profiler, dont make the same mistake as I did and buy something that can profile both even if your on a budget.  It's cheaper this way in the long run.

Look for Munki or Spyder print package.  There is plenty of comment about both here.  Keith Cooper have reviewed both and posted links here.  

I need to do free publicity for Xrite as i had great service when I had to exchange some mail with their customer service for an upgrade kit.  Quite rare these days that sellers make clients feel like there not a burden to them once the sale is done !
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:01:10 am by JF3012 »

theophilus

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:15:49 pm »

You can also buy individual printer/paper profiles from people or companies.  Usually about $30 apiece.

Mark F

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 03:09:33 pm »

Thanks guys.  Is there a particular model Xrite you guys recommend?  B&H sells them for $850 and up into the thousands. I hope its not the really expensive ones I need because that could put an end to my printing.  

8/29  Looks like I was way off on the price of $850.  On another thread people have been recommending the Eye-One Display 2 which goes for about $200-$250. Much better.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:22:03 am by Mark F »
Mark

canlogic

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:52:08 pm »

I have both, bought the Spyder Elite system as I wanted a reasonable entry into printer profiling. I find the Spyder 3 works very well profiling my iMac.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

Steve Gordon

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 08:40:02 pm »

Spyder3 elite gives me great results, lots of adjutability.

On paper it's technically superior to the XRite but I can't really say it gives better results.

You'd be happy with either

mbalensiefer

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:30:16 pm »

Another thread here specifically mentioned one professional's Web site which stated that he'd go with no other calibrator other than X-Rite. I've used both (strictly for monitor calibration)--and X-rite's offered a better tone.

paulbk

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 06:39:19 pm »

re: PC, XP

I use Spyder3 Elite on a pair of NECs (LCD2090UXi). Does the job, very satisfied. Tempted to try NEC's Spectra.., but can't imagine what can be gained.

p
paul b.k.
New England, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up