Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ProShow vs PixToExe  (Read 13840 times)

walter.sk

ProShow vs PixToExe
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:32 am »

I've been using ProShowGold 2.6 and am considering an upgrade either to PSG3.2 or ProShowProducer.  I love the ease of setting up the slide times and transition times, and find I am hooked on a couple of the transitions, mainly hose that divide the slide into quadrants that then move horizontally and vertically out  of or into the frame.  My problem with PSG is that the panning and zooming functions are not really smooth, no matter how I set them up.

I downloaded a trial version of PicturesToExe and found the movement much, much smoother.  However, the preset transitions don't have the ones I like best from PSG, and the method of setting up movement in the slides seems much more time consuming than PSG.

Does anybody know if I could produce the transition effect I want in PixToExe, and whether the method in dealing with slide panning, zooming and rotating is really not more tedious and time consuming than ProShowGold?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:43:48 am by walter.sk »

keithrsmith

ProShow vs PixToExe
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:26:18 am »

I would suggest downloading the trail of the latest proshow gold - they have improved the smoothness somewhat.  That said p2e may well still be better - it does depend on how good your graphics hardware is.

My general take is that the latest proshow is easier to use, has better bult in audio capability and easier timing, but p2e has more powerful movement movements (it has keyframes which you have to go to Proshow producer to get).

Keith

Lin Evans

• http://www.lin-evans.net
ProShow vs PixToExe
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:27:38 pm »

Hi Walter,

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but perhaps I can shed some light on your question.

The particular transition you want is not automatic in PicturesToExe (PTE). It's not difficult to accomplish, but it's not an automatic transition. There are, however, some new 3D transitions which are way cool that will be available in about a week.

On the other hand, Pan, Zoom and Rotate in PTE is much easier to accomplish than in either Producer or Gold and considerably more powerful than either. With PTE you can create movements not possible in Gold or Producer and do things with animation which simply can't be done with the other programs. The power of parent/child/grandchild relationships combined with the ability to move the center of rotation of any object on any layer to any position in space makes PTE an exceptional program. The newest beta 5.6 version to be shortly released to all registered users (within a week or so) has more new features which really make it a fantastic value. It will have sophisticated layer masking, some dynamite 3D transitions and automatic output to Youtube, Vimeo, iPhone/iPod as well as the ability to output 1080p.

You may want to wait a week or so and check back on the Wnsoft forum. I will have a demo then uploaded which shows some of the new features.

Best regards,

Lin
(co-author of the Unofficial PTE User Guide)

Quote from: walter.sk
I've been using ProShowGold 2.6 and am considering an upgrade either to PSG3.2 or ProShowProducer.  I love the ease of setting up the slide times and transition times, and find I am hooked on a couple of the transitions, mainly hose that divide the slide into quadrants that then move horizontally and vertically out  of or into the frame.  My problem with PSG is that the panning and zooming functions are not really smooth, no matter how I set them up.

I downloaded a trial version of PicturesToExe and found the movement much, much smoother.  However, the preset transitions don't have the ones I like best from PSG, and the method of setting up movement in the slides seems much more time consuming than PSG.

Does anybody know if I could produce the transition effect I want in PixToExe, and whether the method in dealing with slide panning, zooming and rotating is really not more tedious and time consuming than ProShowGold?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:28:57 pm by Lin Evans »
Lin

walter.sk

ProShow vs PixToExe
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 07:12:55 pm »

Quote from: Lin Evans
Hi Walter,

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but perhaps I can shed some light on your question.

The particular transition you want is not automatic in PicturesToExe (PTE). It's not difficult to accomplish, but it's not an automatic transition. There are, however, some new 3D transitions which are way cool that will be available in about a week.

On the other hand, Pan, Zoom and Rotate in PTE is much easier to accomplish than in either Producer or Gold and considerably more powerful than either. With PTE you can create movements not possible in Gold or Producer and do things with animation which simply can't be done with the other programs. The power of parent/child/grandchild relationships combined with the ability to move the center of rotation of any object on any layer to any position in space makes PTE an exceptional program. The newest beta 5.6 version to be shortly released to all registered users (within a week or so) has more new features which really make it a fantastic value. It will have sophisticated layer masking, some dynamite 3D transitions and automatic output to Youtube, Vimeo, iPhone/iPod as well as the ability to output 1080p.

You may want to wait a week or so and check back on the Wnsoft forum. I will have a demo then uploaded which shows some of the new features.

Best regards,

Lin
(co-author of the Unofficial PTE User Guide)

Hi, Lin, and thanks for the response.  Since I posted it, I upgraded from a very old version of PTE to v5.5, and perused the PTE forums.  I also read your manual and some tutorials, viewed some of your and other PTE slide shows, and have begun to play with v5.5.

I have decided not to go with ProShow Producer but rather to get past the learning curve in PTE.  I do wish, however, that some of the features of Pro Show would find their way into PTE, such as the ability to change the color, contrast and brightness of a slide without having to go into an image editing program.  Also, a way to have the time frames of one object visible on the timeline when switching to another object, which would make it faster and more intuitive to coordinate timeframes among parent and child objects.

By the way, I seem to remember sharing threads with you when I first got into digital photography, back with the Nikon Coolpix 900, 10 or more years ago, eon Steve's Digicams, DPReview, etc. I've progressed to a 1D MkII and more lenses than I can carry.  I've been going through years of my digital pictures looking for themes for slideshows that I can use PTE to put together.

Thanks again for the reply.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:16:18 pm by walter.sk »
Pages: [1]   Go Up