Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacBook Air as backup computer on work trips  (Read 5187 times)

perbernal

MacBook Air as backup computer on work trips
« on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:23 pm »

What back-up computers do you guys use on work trips that includes flying? Just returned from a job traveling with two 17 inch computers with back-up batteries and where I was stopped twice because of too many carry-ons. I would like to be able to fit two laptops, one 17" + one smaller in my Urban Disguise 60 Think Tank bag. I´m curios to know if the MacBook Air would fit the bill. With only one USB2 hub, is it still possible to connect  2 drives + a card reader through a USB2 hub and make it work in case the bigger laptop goes down? Would really appreciate your input.

Best, Per Bernal[attachment=7987:attachment]

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:36:37 am »

What back-up computers do you guys use on work trips that includes flying? Just returned from a job traveling with two 17 inch computers with back-up batteries and where I was stopped twice because of too many carry-ons. I would like to be able to fit two laptops, one 17" + one smaller in my Urban Disguise 60 Think Tank bag. I´m curios to know if the MacBook Air would fit the bill. With only one USB2 hub, is it still possible to connect  2 drives + a card reader through a USB2 hub and make it work in case the bigger laptop goes down? Would really appreciate your input.

Best, Per Bernal[attachment=7987:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i have a dodgey beaten up 15inch macbookpro 1st gen that i pack in the standard cargo. im not that worried about it as its just the backup. my good laptop and drives go with my carry on.
the good thing about the old 15inch, its got fw400 and a decent sized screen.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

yaya

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:18:12 am »

A MacBook 13" is a real computer and ads 1.4 kilos

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 02:35:04 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216216\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've not tried it with a macbook, but can the macbooks power a digital back ?

cheers

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 02:40:14 am »

I've not tried it with a macbook, but can the macbooks power a digital back ?

cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gidday,

They certainly can.

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

narikin

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:52:12 pm »

the Air is not one of Apple's better products - a triumph of design over usability.

expect new laptops in a few weeks, Apple has to reply to all the ultra small 'Netbooks' that are the rage in PC world, and yet to find a Mac equivalent. soon, with a big haptic screen probably.

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 02:29:48 pm »

Can you elaborate?  What do find wrong with it?  It's not designed to be a Photoshop or a heavy photo editing machine, or a gaming platform.  Given what it is actually designed for, how is it's use limited or compromised in a meaningful way?

the Air is not one of Apple's better products - a triumph of design over usability.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 02:35:42 pm »

Can you elaborate?  What do find wrong with it?  It's not designed to be a Photoshop or a heavy photo editing machine, or a gaming platform.  Given what it is actually designed for, how is it's use limited or compromised in a meaningful way?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did all my work on the Air for a while, and I have a P45+. It was ok. However, the Air itself developed reliability issues, and was at Apple ONE MONTH to get fixed. Actually the repair center wanted it replaced, but Apple insisted on them fixing it, but couldn't supply the parts.

This machine overheats as soon as it is stressed, and is not one of Apple's best efforts - I hope the next model will be better because they're really pleasant to use.

Any pro Aple machine you buy now should be amortized in a year, because they have video chip issues  which mean they will all die (after they go out of warranty).

Edmund

PS - I got the cheapest MacBook Pro to use - and this is really fast and pleasant, screen is nice. Only problem is I know it will die eventually.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:37:47 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Let Biogons be Biogons

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 02:36:20 pm »

That added 1.4 kilos makes it weigh twice as much as the MacBook Air.

If weight and ultimate thinness is not an issue for you, there is no reason to buy a MacBook Air.  If they are an issue for you, then you have to determine whether what is left out of the MacBook Air to make it thin and light is critical or important for your needs.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216216\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Let Biogons be Biogons

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 02:41:58 pm »

Thanks.  That, however, seems to be a design issue rather than one of usability.  It seems to be able to do all I need a laptop to do, but if the design is actually faulty such that it overheats and chips fail prematurely, that is a real problem.  I was considering one so I appreciate your helpful response.

Perhaps I'll wait for its next generation.

I did all my work on the Air for a while, and I have a P45+. It was ok. However, the Air itself developed reliability issues, and was at Apple ONE MONTH to get fixed. Actually the repair center wanted it replaced, but Apple insisted on them fixing it, but couldn't supply the parts.

This machine overheats as soon as it is stressed, and is not one of Apple's best efforts - I hope the next model will be better because they're really pleasant to use.

Any pro Aple machine you buy now should be amortized in a year, because they have video chip issues  which mean they will all die (after they go out of warranty).

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217164\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

eronald

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 03:17:41 pm »

Thanks.  That, however, seems to be a design issue rather than one of usability.  It seems to be able to do all I need a laptop to do, but if the design is actually faulty such that it overheats and chips fail prematurely, that is a real problem.  I was considering one so I appreciate your helpful response.

Perhaps I'll wait for its next generation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In my MacBook Air, the disk failed (probably due to overheating) and the mainboard failed. Basically they had to swap all the innards out.

Apple now seems to be trying to fix the issue of one processor core disabling due to overheating, by a just-out firmware fix. However, as an engineer I think I'd agree with you that the design is insufficiently cooled.

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:19:51 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JonasYip

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 05:28:23 pm »

In my MacBook Air, the disk failed (probably due to overheating) and the mainboard failed. Basically they had to swap all the innards out.

Apple now seems to be trying to fix the issue of one processor core disabling due to overheating, by a just-out firmware fix. However, as an engineer I think I'd agree with you that the design is insufficiently cooled.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I've had no problems with my Macbook Air, but my Macbook Pro failed, requiring the main logic board to be replaced. So.... perhaps it's luck o' the draw. And of course there's the NVIDIA dying chip thing...

FWIW, I've found that the Air doesn't get all that hot, while the MB Pro gets really hot. The latter I have sitting on a cooling device (well, a stand with a fan).

j
-
-  Jonas Yip  http://www.

yaya

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 06:14:37 pm »

That added 1.4 kilos makes it weigh twice as much as the MacBook Air.
If weight and ultimate thinness is not an issue for you, there is no reason to buy a MacBook Air.  If they are an issue for you, then you have to determine whether what is left out of the MacBook Air to make it thin and light is critical or important for your needs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217165\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe I should have been more specific; for anyone with a high resolution digital back who needs to either tether the back or to transfer high volumes quickly with fast CF cards and readers, the lack of any FireWire facility is a show stopper.

Yair

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 11:51:10 pm »

Maybe I should have been more specific; for anyone with a high resolution digital back who needs to either tether the back or to transfer high volumes quickly with fast CF cards and readers, the lack of any FireWire facility is a show stopper.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One thing I learned early on with digital capture, especially tethering, the computers I use for capture I use only for capture and processing.

I also keep an exact computer as backup, i.e. Imac to Imac, mackbookpro to mackbookpro all with the same operating systems.

That way going from one to the other is automatic if something fails and easy to keep them exactly matched.

It doesn't always work perfectly but it keeps the level of problems way down.

I also try to keep the computers as clear of data as possible, regardless of disk size.  It seems the more stuff laying around on the drive(s) the more chance for a problem.

I took a tip from our retouchers and the pre press houses I've used where nothing is kept on the computer that isn't in progress.  Once the image is finished it goes off the computer to either a server or a raid.  That way the drives stay clear.

Early on I did have rare isntances where I would use a personal computer to capture or process but it seems a computer that gets lots of daily use runnng tons of programs has more problems than one that is just dedicated to a few tasks.

I do think the idea of one of those little macbooks is good for backup.  We have one that my producer carries as a spare and though she doesn't use it often it seems pretty well built and it doesn't weigh that much.

To me the Air just looks like a cool device for surfing the web or running spread sheets, but as Yair says without firewire, it's going to be slow for any serious data transfer.

JR

Let Biogons be Biogons

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 10:15:25 am »

I think that's right.  That's what it is designed for.  I don't think it was designed for the function of tethering MF digital backs.  A MacBook Pro is the machine for that -- and I'm sure Apple would tell you the same thing.  The Air doesn't have hard drive capacity for much more than what you suggest.

It's a communication and information machine -- and probably a second computer in addition to a beefier desktop of desktop-replacement.  It's basically for E-mail, surfing the web, writing/document preparation, spreadsheets, delivering presentations, chat (and similar).  There are a lot people (not MF digital photographers) that really don't need more than that and really get no additional benefit of carrying around a extra 3 pounds of weight, and taking up twice space in your briefcase or backpack.

To me the Air just looks like a cool device for surfing the web or running spread sheets, but as Yair says without firewire, it's going to be slow for any serious data transfer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

eronald

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 10:21:31 am »

Well, I've had no problems with my Macbook Air, but my Macbook Pro failed, requiring the main logic board to be replaced. So.... perhaps it's luck o' the draw. And of course there's the NVIDIA dying chip thing...

FWIW, I've found that the Air doesn't get all that hot, while the MB Pro gets really hot. The latter I have sitting on a cooling device (well, a stand with a fan).

j
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's the opposite with me; the MB Pro is so far holding the strain and runs cool. I've found that a free extension called "SmartSleep" solved the battery standby problem, giving it literally days of standby time.

It's interesting how these machines are not similar.

BTW, I have now systematically disabled all updates on all my computers.

Edmund

woof75

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 10:34:23 am »

It's the opposite with me; the MB Pro is so far holding the strain and runs cool. I've found that a free extension called "SmartSleep" solved the battery standby problem, giving it literally days of standby time.

It's interesting how these machines are not similar.

BTW, I have now systematically disabled all updates on all my computers.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey I have the macbook 2.2 duo (non pro) I hear it's faster than the macbook pro, it's really quite nice, especially now you can put 4GB ram in them. Also, it's cheap cheap. Like me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up