Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100ps GP and Mac Leopard  (Read 1490 times)

Edhopkins

HP Z3100ps GP and Mac Leopard
« on: August 19, 2008, 04:00:56 pm »

For months HP has said in the FAQ connected to the APS (Advanced profiling system) that version 1.32 of the APS which DID run on Leopard for the plain vanilla Z3100 did NOT work with Z3100ps. They said a new version was coming.

Their web site is now changed.  It no longer says that version 1.32 of the APS does not work with the Z3100ps.  (It doesn't say that it does....)

I called HP and found some guy Mark who read something off somewhere that said that APS 1.32 did work with the Z3100 AND Z3100ps.  He could not explain how version 1.32 of the APS suddenly, miraculously, now worked with the Z3100ps.  

Some members of this forum have reported that they are running Z3100ps with APS 1.32 for some time now.  Apparently this was OK all along. The whole problem was the web site.  I guess.  

Anyhow I am going to get the new Mac Pro now, with Leopard installed and install the new APS and the new drivers and firmware.  I intend to keep my old system working as long as possible and then fail over to the new one.  

I maintain a WIKI on this which I will update once I successfully get the new system working.

Anyone know of any reason not to do this now?  (I know many of you did not see a reason not to do this month ago--and you were right.)

Ed
In Baltimore

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:52:22 pm »

Your plan sounds prudent and not really that risky to me.  

I have the same scenario and have not managed to get the manage papers part of the HP Printer Utility to work for me, running a GP model with everybody's latest software without some work arounds.  I have to either disconnect from my Ethernet connection and connect via USB, or boot from an external drive with Tiger loaded to make it work.  Annoying, but thankfully not something I have to do that often.  Nothing keeps me from making beautiful prints with it.

Please keep us posted.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:03:53 pm »

Hi Ed,
I can tell you from experience, I've been running v1.32 HP APS with Leopard, and I use the HPZ3100ps and have the latest HP firmware and drivers installed for Leopard.

One item that I have learned is that if you are using this setup on a network with Leopard and Tiger OSes on different computers, any Tiger installs with older HP Z drivers will make a problem, for example, the printer will not sleep properly. HP did not make the new software drivers for Leopard backward compatible for Tiger, and they do clearly ;-) state that you should not mix different drivers on the same network. Just another complexity to keep all us users awake at night. ;-)

I hope this helps. If you have computers with older drivers and Tiger installs, I recommend uninstalling them.

So long for now, TOM

For months HP has said in the FAQ connected to the APS (Advanced profiling system) that version 1.32 of the APS which DID run on Leopard for the plain vanilla Z3100 did NOT work with Z3100ps. They said a new version was coming.

Their web site is now changed.  It no longer says that version 1.32 of the APS does not work with the Z3100ps.  (It doesn't say that it does....)

I called HP and found some guy Mark who read something off somewhere that said that APS 1.32 did work with the Z3100 AND Z3100ps.  He could not explain how version 1.32 of the APS suddenly, miraculously, now worked with the Z3100ps. 

Some members of this forum have reported that they are running Z3100ps with APS 1.32 for some time now.  Apparently this was OK all along. The whole problem was the web site.  I guess. 

Anyhow I am going to get the new Mac Pro now, with Leopard installed and install the new APS and the new drivers and firmware.  I intend to keep my old system working as long as possible and then fail over to the new one. 

I maintain a WIKI on this which I will update once I successfully get the new system working.

Anyone know of any reason not to do this now?  (I know many of you did not see a reason not to do this month ago--and you were right.)

Ed
In Baltimore
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up