Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8?  (Read 11028 times)

Kika Livno

• http://
Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8?
« on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:08 am »

I have decided to buy Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 and I was told by a local dealer in Japan that Kindai-International EOS adapter is the best adapter to use with it.

I know there are some adapters made with focus confirmation but not sure if it will work with Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8? and what should I buy?

I already paid tons of money for this lens and I don't think I should be cheap/save on the adapter!

I constantly read about folks having to shave their mirrors.... is this the case here to, since I am planing to get 1Ds MkIII at the same time?
[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:

carl dw

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:14:35 am »

I have decided to buy Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 and I was told by a local dealer in Japan that Kindai-International EOS adapter is the best adapter to use with it.

I know there are some adapters made with focus confirmation but not sure if it will work with Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8? and what should I buy?

I already paid tons of money for this lens and I don't think I should be cheap/save on the adapter!

I constantly read about folks having to shave their mirrors.... is this the case here to, since I am planing to get 1Ds MkIII at the same time?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215945\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have exactly the same combination and us an focus confirm adapter from happyhk - this is his Ebay name. I've bought two from him on different occasions and would have no hesitation buying more.

These adapters are slightly thinner and allow for infinity focusing with the 21mm Distagon.

If you tell him what lens you are using he also programs the lens name into the chip whch is then passed onto your computer with the usual metadata.

You won't regret the "tons of money" you've spent!!

Kika Livno

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:23:07 am »

I have exactly the same combination and us an focus confirm adapter from happyhk - this is his Ebay name. I've bought two from him on different occasions and would have no hesitation buying more.

These adapters are slightly thinner and allow for infinity focusing with the 21mm Distagon.

If you tell him what lens you are using he also programs the lens name into the chip whch is then passed onto your computer with the usual metadata.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215955\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Carl, that is excellent news, thank you!

You won't regret the "tons of money" you've spent!!

I hope not! I read everything there is to read about 21mm Distagon... the only thing left is to find the right adapter... the one that you are suggesting with metadata, sounds like a perfect choice. I didn't even know they go as far as metadata/etc. I thought Focus Confirmation was luxury...

thank you!

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:28:50 am »

Kika,

I have replied to your PM...

Just to let you know that the adapter i was talking about is the Happy HK one mentioned above, it just reminded me what ebay seller after reading it.

Gary.

Kika Livno

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:33:51 am »

Kika,

I have replied to your PM...

Just to let you know that the adapter i was talking about is the Happy HK one mentioned above, it just reminded me what ebay seller after reading it.
Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary, I just read your PM and responded back... thanks!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:34:10 am by Kika Livno »

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:17:15 pm »

I tried the happyhk focus comfirm adapters for my Zeiss ZF lenses on my Canon, but I found that they were a sloppy fit. They were so thin that they focused past infinity, but worse, the lens shifted sideways when mounted on the camera.

I tossed them out and replaced them with the Cameraquest adapters, which I believe are re-badged Kindai adapters.  They focus exactly at infinity and there is no slop.  The lens is firmly attached to the camera, with no lateral movement.

I also found that I had little or no trouble with focusing manually.

if you are going to buy a great lens, you should get a great adapter. It should hold the lens firmly in place, with no movement.

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:04:31 am »

I tried the happyhk focus comfirm adapters for my Zeiss ZF lenses on my Canon, but I found that they were a sloppy fit. They were so thin that they focused past infinity, but worse, the lens shifted sideways when mounted on the camera.

I tossed them out and replaced them with the Cameraquest adapters, which I believe are re-badged Kindai adapters.  They focus exactly at infinity and there is no slop.  The lens is firmly attached to the camera, with no lateral movement.

I also found that I had little or no trouble with focusing manually.

if you are going to buy a great lens, you should get a great adapter. It should hold the lens firmly in place, with no movement.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well both of my Happy Hk adapters have no movement whatsoever, and i have no problem focussing manually, in fact i have never used the focus confirmation ever, preferring to use live view with 10x magnification on the 1DS3, if you really want accuracy there is no better way.

I have not used the Cameraquest adapters but i know they are said to be exceptionally good, however i did buy a Photodiox Pro which was also said to be very good and it did not focus to infinity so about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.....  expensive does not guarantee good and i would rather the lens went past infinity than not make it.

As i understand from Carl and others, the Cameraquest is just a re painted and re badged 'Kindai' which are known to be the best. Now i'm not saying they are not worth it, but to completely dismiss the Happy HK ones is wrong, like Canon glass they may vary but some like my own are fine. Given the choice i would use the Kindai ones if i could find them but no UK stockists.  Anyone know a good supplier over the net?????

Gary.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 07:28:28 am by Gary Yeowell »

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:38:28 pm »

As i understand from Carl and others, the Cameraquest is just a re painted and re badged 'Kindai' which are known to be the best. Now i'm not saying they are not worth it, but to completely dismiss the Happy HK ones is wrong, like Canon glass they may vary but some like my own are fine. Given the choice i would use the Kindai ones if i could find them but no UK stockists.  Anyone know a good supplier over the net?????
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Robert White has them re-branded as Rayqual. I have three and they are gooduns - infinity is spot on.

[a href=\"http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/products.asp?PT_ID=522&P=Rayqual--Lens-Adaptor-Rings]Link[/url]

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:02:56 pm »

Thankyou Tim,

I already use 2 of the Raqual adapters from Robert White but they are only for Nikon to EOS, i am looking for Contax and Leica R to EOS. Robert White only stocks the Nikon versions and as you say they are perfect on infinity focus.

I did enquire some months ago with Robert White as to the availability of Contax and Leica but they said they would have to look into it and it would take a long time.....

Gary.

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 06:13:59 am »

Thankyou Tim,

I already use 2 of the Raqual adapters from Robert White but they are only for Nikon to EOS, i am looking for Contax and Leica R to EOS. Robert White only stocks the Nikon versions and as you say they are perfect on infinity focus.

I did enquire some months ago with Robert White as to the availability of Contax and Leica but they said they would have to look into it and it would take a long time.....

Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oops. My exuberance for recommending rayqual blinded me to the question at hand!
Pages: [1]   Go Up