Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portrait of a Photographer  (Read 14884 times)

Toby1014

Portrait of a Photographer
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 03:07:34 pm »

Toby, hi.

Your line might be slow, but my monitor is making vaguely wavey lines at the bottom of the screen so I don´t know how much longer I shall be able to carry on either. I just hope it´s the effect of poor electrical supply and not the death rattles of an old Diamondtron!

Yes, I do have some links to other art-oriented sites, but I have always tended to feel that many fashion people are really artists just working in fashion to support the habit. No dreadful pun intended here. I suppose that after working in the business for longer than most posters here have probably been alive, I damn well should know my way around this world, but thanks, anyway.

Have not the time right now, but promise to find and forward the sites for you.

Rob C
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Rob

I am looking forward - here is a link for you, this will keep you busy for a while too, enjoy:

[a href=\"http://www.helsinkischool.fi/]http://www.helsinkischool.fi/[/url]

Toby

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 08:20:26 pm »

Okay, folks, I started this little thread in the hope of some good, deep insight into creative thinking, how one person sees it in the example of a famous reputation and how another thinks something totally else.

In the end, this proved a somewhat naïve proposition on my part and perhaps at my age I should have known better. Nevertheless, some clear conclusions can be drwn, and from my perspective, here they are.

1.  It is difficult to distinguish between celebrity and talent, the former making the latter seem a given, rightly or wrongly.

2.  The concept of photographer as unique, singular talented worker/artist no longer has validity, at least in the commercial sector, which is where the subject of the thread resides.

3.  The concept of photographer as part of a successful group effort is considered enough to make such a photographer´s name, the rest of the troupe not really needing any credit whilst the photographer may take all the glory unto himself.

4. There is a school of thought that believes that success comes from knowing the right people, going to the right parties, being a social animal; in effect, that social grace and/or networking comes before photographic excellence. This might not be a new phenomenon.

5. There is an element of hero worship at play, strong enough to blind the worshipper´s eye to anything less than equal reverence for the hero. Indeed, Nikon v. Canon might be thought a similar case, with the humanity removed from the equation, but the aggression still there.

The purpose of the thread has, as far as the originator is concerned, run its course.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Stop being so condescending. You come here setting up a thread expecting everyone to think the same way as you.

You dismiss someone who has proven his chops over and over and over again, I find that very blatantly aggressive in the first place.

Stop living in your bubble, teamwork has always existed all the way back in time, centuries ago when your lovely artists had his team of painters to help him.

elitegroup

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2008, 07:25:36 am »

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2008, 01:27:13 pm »

Thanks Rob

I am looking forward - here is a link for you, this will keep you busy for a while too, enjoy:

http://www.helsinkischool.fi/
Toby
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216719\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks - I have posted a few links to what might be ´art´photography over in a more appropriate section of the forum. I´m only here on this one to keep my promise to you.

Go to:

Art Of Photography
Discussing Photographic Styles

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:29:21 pm by Rob C »

mattpeyton

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 01:27:11 am »

j
Shouting and flapping about... forgive me if I take the liberty to imagine you to be joking here;
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215832\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No really, he yells alot during the taping.  It's not flattering.

woof75

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 04:07:30 pm »

Okay, folks, I started this little thread in the hope of some good, deep insight into creative thinking, how one person sees it in the example of a famous reputation and how another thinks something totally else.

In the end, this proved a somewhat naïve proposition on my part and perhaps at my age I should have known better. Nevertheless, some clear conclusions can be drwn, and from my perspective, here they are.

1.  It is difficult to distinguish between celebrity and talent, the former making the latter seem a given, rightly or wrongly.

2.  The concept of photographer as unique, singular talented worker/artist no longer has validity, at least in the commercial sector, which is where the subject of the thread resides.

3.  The concept of photographer as part of a successful group effort is considered enough to make such a photographer´s name, the rest of the troupe not really needing any credit whilst the photographer may take all the glory unto himself.

4. There is a school of thought that believes that success comes from knowing the right people, going to the right parties, being a social animal; in effect, that social grace and/or networking comes before photographic excellence. This might not be a new phenomenon.

5. There is an element of hero worship at play, strong enough to blind the worshipper´s eye to anything less than equal reverence for the hero. Indeed, Nikon v. Canon might be thought a similar case, with the humanity removed from the equation, but the aggression still there.

The purpose of the thread has, as far as the originator is concerned, run its course.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like I say it takes quite a lot of visual sophistication to understand David's work, you should try putting a little more effort into trying to understand his work, it really is good. I used to turn my nose up at it and I was dead wrong, the better you get the more you understand it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up