Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Nikon 24mm tilt-shift vs Canon 24mm tilt-shift  (Read 9791 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
New Nikon 24mm tilt-shift vs Canon 24mm tilt-shift
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:56:34 pm »

Have not been able to find MTF graphs on the Nikon site for its new 24mm tilt-shift lens.  Does Nikon publish these for its lenses?

Has anyone tested this lens for sharpness compared to the Canon 24mm tilt-shift?

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
New Nikon 24mm tilt-shift vs Canon 24mm tilt-shift
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:46 am »

Have not been able to find MTF graphs on the Nikon site for its new 24mm tilt-shift lens.  Does Nikon publish these for its lenses?

Has anyone tested this lens for sharpness compared to the Canon 24mm tilt-shift?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do have the Nikon 24mm PCE, but have not compared it to the Canon. However I will say this, the lens is extremely good, or at least my copy is. If I shift to the max the corners do fall off a bit in sharpness but nowhere near as much as I would have guessed and certainly much less than many primes and other high quality zooms. There is some CA (though I have seen worse) seen mostly at extreme shifts so optically I would say its a marvelous lens though very expensive. You could buy a MF or LF system used for the price of this lens.

There are some mechanical things I am a bit less thrilled about though, such as the small lock nut for shifts and the tilt mechanism does not have a self braking quality like the older 85 PC lens I own. What this means is its a bit more difficult to dial in a degree of tilt than I would like. You get used to it but Nikon could have done better.

I would not want to start a flame war about Nikon vs. Canon they both make good gear but have also heard many times their 24 TS is not all that great and I believe it was originally introduced during the heyday of film while the new Nikon as I understand is engineered for digital. I would expect the Nikon to optically outperform the Canon but could be wrong about this.

Below is an recent image from this lens with the D3 which I have printed on my Epson 9600 24x30 @ 118 dpi with superb results.

Hope this helps.

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Re: New Nikon 24mm tilt-shift vs Canon 24mm tilt-shift
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »

Is there a comparison somewhere on the net between the Nikon and the new Canon 24mm tilt shift?

RawheaD

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:27:32 pm »

I would not want to start a flame war about Nikon vs. Canon they both make good gear but have also heard many times their 24 TS is not all that great and I believe it was originally introduced during the heyday of film while the new Nikon as I understand is engineered for digital.

This may have been true of the original Canon 24 TS-E, but certainly doesn't apply to the new, TS-E 24II.  I've only read great things about the 24II, but besides all that, I would definitely choose one of the newer Canon TS-Es over the Nikons because of the independent tilt/shift rotation mechanisms.

I'm currently in the market for either the TS-E 17II or 24II and can't quite make up my mind.  I want the wideness of the 17, but the near inability to use filters with it combined with the 24 having bigger movements (which will to a degree compensate for the diff. in focal length in certain cases) makes me want the 24.

RawheaD

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:28:39 pm »

I guess I just replied to a 3 year old post :LOL:  Sorry.

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:46:53 pm »

but the subject is current.... :)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:54:30 pm »

This may have been true of the original Canon 24 TS-E, but certainly doesn't apply to the new, TS-E 24II.  I've only read great things about the 24II, but besides all that, I would definitely choose one of the newer Canon TS-Es over the Nikons because of the independent tilt/shift rotation mechanisms.

I'm currently in the market for either the TS-E 17II or 24II and can't quite make up my mind.  I want the wideness of the 17, but the near inability to use filters with it combined with the 24 having bigger movements (which will to a degree compensate for the diff. in focal length in certain cases) makes me want the 24.

I did some side by side testing of he Nikon and new Canon 24 T/S when the new Canon came out. They are both superb lenses. The Canon is ever so slightly better optically. If you combine that with the independence of the T/S relationship and the lockout of the tilt on the Canon (I can't actually remember if the Nikon locks out), the Canon is the clear winner. BUT I'd say that if you were already invested in Nikon I wouldn't dump the system for Canon. It is not that much better and (at this moment) the top of the line Nikon bodies have the better IQ.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up