Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is wrong with National Geographics?  (Read 4844 times)

Henry Goh

What is wrong with National Geographics?
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:36:37 am »

I'm from Singapore and I noticed that National Geographic is currently holding an INTERNATIONAL Photo Competition.  I registered online and as usual the drop-down forms for addresses and country appeared and so I filled them faithfully.  At the end of the whole process, I was presented a page that said I am not eligible for this International Photo Competition as it is only for English speaking countries.

Don't these people know that the first language in Singapore is ENGLISH?  Really dumb.  Also, what is your understanding of INTERNATIONAL?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:14:33 pm »

This may be a rhetorical question, but have you asked them?  What was their response?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 03:34:21 am »

Do they not have multiple competitions for different language groups? (someone somewhere probably put Singapore in the wrong group.)

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:47:35 pm »

It might be because Singapore is only about 3 degrees above the Equator - things spin faster out there at the far edges. They are certainly much more humid and parking is almost impossible.

On the bright side, no chewing gum but very clean shoes and pavements. I like that in a city. Also, tipping is strongly frowned upon. That too is very nice and also conducive to dignity.

Rob C

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:15:34 am »

I'm from Singapore and I noticed that National Geographic is currently holding an INTERNATIONAL Photo Competition.  I registered online and as usual the drop-down forms for addresses and country appeared and so I filled them faithfully.  At the end of the whole process, I was presented a page that said I am not eligible for this International Photo Competition as it is only for English speaking countries.

Don't these people know that the first language in Singapore is ENGLISH?  Really dumb.  Also, what is your understanding of INTERNATIONAL?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215660\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry,

I am in Hong Kong and am repeatedly abused by other companies, e.g. www.Yahoo.com for thinking that Traditional Chinese is all that people speak here. Hey, in Hong Kong Traditional Chinease AND ENGLISH are official languages and indeed also Simplified Chinese rapid becoming unofficial language...

Silly people doing these things to us, is it not?? If only more people were more aware of what the world is... Dang Yahoo.... each time I click www.yahoo.com ... all Chinese, then need click www.yahoo.com (USA) and all I get is info of USA... I am in Hong Kong... other side of planet...  

Regards
Anders

lightstand

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:35:41 am »

If you went to a really cheap stock agency other than a micro-stock website and priced out a crappy landscape photo at the usage rights the contest's "sponsors" (gotta love that- who is the sponsor?) are requesting you would come up with a price three times their grand prize. and that would be in cash not a P/S camera

The only bragging rights to be had is by their accountants & lawyers looking down on the field of photography

Henry Goh

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:44:32 am »

Henry,

I am in Hong Kong and am repeatedly abused by other companies, e.g. www.Yahoo.com for thinking that Traditional Chinese is all that people speak here. Hey, in Hong Kong Traditional Chinease AND ENGLISH are official languages and indeed also Simplified Chinese rapid becoming unofficial language...

Silly people doing these things to us, is it not?? If only more people were more aware of what the world is... Dang Yahoo.... each time I click www.yahoo.com ... all Chinese, then need click www.yahoo.com (USA) and all I get is info of USA... I am in Hong Kong... other side of planet...   

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215938\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Anders,

India is considered English speaking whereas other once British colonised countries like HK and Singapore are not.  I wonder why they sell their English National Geographic Magazine and their English TV documentaries to us then.

It must have something to do with their shallow IQ (and I don't mean image quality).

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 06:37:59 am »

Hi Anders,

India is considered English speaking whereas other once British colonised countries like HK and Singapore are not.  I wonder why they sell their English National Geographic Magazine and their English TV documentaries to us then.

It must have something to do with their shallow IQ (and I don't mean image quality).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, but as I don´t want to start a race war, I won´t mention that it´s an American company... English is just a version of the common language, nothing much to do with anything but recent history and nothing to do with the magazine, but I didn´t say that.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up