Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Say Goodnight, Gracie  (Read 9975 times)

Richard Boyle

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 03:49:49 pm »

gone
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:44:03 pm by Richard Boyle »

Ray

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 03:59:10 pm »

Now we're talking about art and artists? Insulation not from uncomfortable ideas, rather those that troll through offering up their 'opinions' with no actual basis in facts and which have no bearing from a professional standpoint and whose sole intent is to stir shit up. Face it Ray, you aren't getting enough attention in life and spend your time on the internet trying to get any that you can whether good or bad. Your posts are not constructive, you don't have any concrete knowledge nor experience, tact or general social skills. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215513\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's an interesting example of an uninformed opinion. I can't help speculating if this opinion of yours is just a gut feeliing, a prejudice, or a simple lashing out due to your unfortunate social circumstances.

My knowledge of photography extends to a relationship with chemical darkroom procedures at the age of 8 and upwards. My father earned his living literally as an artist with paint brush and paper. He was also a life long amateur photographer, and one room in our house was always the 'darkroom', with black curtains over the windows. My mother wasn't too happy about this, however.

Photography is in my bones.

Rob C

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 04:27:57 pm »

Edited: rendered obsolete by further posts.

Off topic: Rob, upon what "rock" are you currently exiled? You surely do not mean Her Majesty's Splendid Kingdom of Truth and Justice up there across the Channel...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike

Mallorca, Mediterranean. Great if you want to decline with G&T in hand and without any further interests - well, golf and yachts might provide solace - but the raison d´étre of the first defeats my warped sense of logic and the second my wallet.

On the whole, though, the Mallorquin people are genuinely friendly if you open up to them without that dreaded British sense of some sort of superiority (usually unfounded, I have discovered) and you have the sense not to tell them that things are better done in your country of origin. More often than not, once you learn how things work, the systems in place do very well indeed.

Exile? Well, the feeling of such stems from the fact that I came to live here on the basis of stock photography and calendars. The idea was that with so much (then) empty shore and work, I wouldn´t have to waste a lot of time and money travelling to other parts of the world to get my shots. As mentioned before, later political correctness saw the business sink into pointlessness and stock became ever less of a positively loaded (in my favour) gamble. So I allowed myself to wander off and smell roses, go cruising with friends and generally waste a lot of time until I discovered my own mortality on the night of my first heart attack, a point which brought Helmut Newton´s own moment to mind, as well as his reaction, which was that from that point on he would only do with photography that which he chose. Me too.

Not much else to it, really.

Rob C

Rob C

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 04:37:31 pm »

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215518\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mr P!

Priceless, accurate, and enough to make me ignore my own decision to refrain from further part in this thread which was, if anyone cares to check, a question for Michael. But there you go - everybody knows best.

Wish I had your magic with the one-liners!

Rob C

Pete JF

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 09:33:11 pm »

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215518\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bill Clinton might have a different take on that notion...

Pete JF

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 09:39:28 pm »

Hey, let's be accurate. A larger than life cigar with a hoochy mama straddling it is no longer a cigar. it's one of Bill's favoritest dreams after he brushes his teeth and says his prayers.

Ray

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 12:09:28 am »

Maybe James needs his own forum.  Where he can control his "fans" and be the big guy on the block.  Personally, I don't see the need for most successful pro shooters to post under their own name or to even spend the time looking for information about MF.  It is a lot easier to call the right tech or dealer.   Steve Hendrix or Dave Gallagher in Atlanta are very good resourcers.  Yair is a fantastic guy and he is great about keeping people up to date about Leaf products and software.

Personally, I think a good part of the MF forum is good for specific information about backs and software.

My "name" is taken from a movie and there is no way I would ever post under my own name.  Take it for what you want, but keeping my reputation intact is far more important to me than posting under my own name so some MF shooter can verify my comments.

I think a lot of what passes for "information" here is people wanting "fans" or trying to drive up their name in search engine ratings.

I know James and for the life of me, I can't understand why he spends his time "donating" to this or any other forum.  I am as successful as he is and I barely have time to catch up with the daily requirements of clients.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good points. When I read Russell's article, I noted his concern about his name being associated with the ad. When it was left off the inital print run, Phase apologised and agreed to reprint.

What I generally find on forums like this is that rude or insulting comments about myself or my images only hurt when I perceive there is at least an element of truth to such comments.

If I were running a business and trying to enhance and spread my reputation, I might well see all comments as either positive or negative in relation to that reputation.

Any negative comments might well be perceived as coming from an arsonist hiding behind the bushes.

arkansasphotographer

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 06:21:53 am »

DELETED
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:40:46 am by arkansasphotographer »

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 11:12:19 am »

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar; sometimes an article is just that.

I must really be thick, for I read Mr Russell's article with interest. I'm not a commercial shooter and I don't personally know the man; but it seems like for his trouble in contributing here he's been rewarded with a lot of invective. He must be a very threatening fellow to have aroused such ire.  Must be some backstage clash of egos I'm not aware of.

What happened to the LL Forum tradition of civility and forbearance? This and related threads have not been some, ah, contributors' finest moments. Why so much time spent dissecting the man's motives in writing? Why not just shut the f--- up and move on if you don't like an article, and leave in peace those of us who might like to consider its worth without wading through others' slag-heaps?
michael sebast

michael

Say Goodnight, Gracie
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 11:25:48 am »

Amen!

Michael
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up