Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denali NP Road Lottery  (Read 3827 times)

Mark F

Denali NP Road Lottery
« on: August 15, 2008, 06:46:43 pm »

The results of the Denali NP road lottery have been posted and without doing an exact count it appears to me that at least 90% of the winners are Alaskan residents. Since the lottery is for the national park and not the state park I do not believe that there is a preference for Alaskan residents. Now it could very well be that a disproportionate number of Alaskans entered since they already live there and would not have that far to travel. But I find it hard to believe so few non-Alaskans entered and I'm wondering if any of you did?

Mark
Mark

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Denali NP Road Lottery
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:06:46 pm »

The results of the Denali NP road lottery have been posted and without doing an exact count it appears to me that at least 90% of the winners are Alaskan residents. Since the lottery is for the national park and not the state park I do not believe that there is a preference for Alaskan residents. Now it could very well be that a disproportionate number of Alaskans entered since they already live there and would not have that far to travel. But I find it hard to believe so few non-Alaskans entered and I'm wondering if any of you did?

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I had to enter a lottery to enter my local national parks I'd be more likely to enter them than Denali. Why? because they are closer. That these people live so close to spectacular Denali most definitely explains, in my eyes, why so many Alaskans won the lottery.

Mark F

Denali NP Road Lottery
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:18:18 pm »

For the record, the lottery isn't for entry into the park. Everyone can enter the park but ordinarily, you are only permitted to drive your own vehicle to the 12(?) mile gate and only the park tourist buses can drive farther in. The lottery winners are permitted to drive their own vehicles into the park past the gate, all the way to Wonder Lake. Denali is so beautiful in the fall, that it is worth a trip even if you cannot drive past the 12 mile gate.

Also, while my timing was not right to see the foliage in the southern part of the state, I have been told that is very beautiful too.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up