Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR vs PS sharpening  (Read 6997 times)

No1

LR vs PS sharpening
« on: August 13, 2008, 11:33:14 pm »

Still getting better results from PS CS3, using "Sharpen Edges" + "Unsharp Mask", than using LR 2.0 sharpening tools.

Anybody feeling differently?

Regards,
Pedro

DarkPenguin

LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:38:59 am »

I don't know if you are or are not.  Perhaps if you posted images from each tool.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:54:32 am »

Still getting better results from PS CS3, using "Sharpen Edges" + "Unsharp Mask", than using LR 2.0 sharpening tools.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then I would say you don't really know how to use the tools...seriously...

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:01:04 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's proably true in a way and comes with thet lightroom is much harder to handle in this aspect. slightly wrong settings and all you get are meshed details and a painterly effect.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

No1

LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:18:12 pm »

That's probably true in a way and comes with thet lightroom is much harder to handle in this aspect. slightly wrong settings and all you get are meshed details and a painterly effect.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Exactly what I've been noticing...
Although much improved from its sibling 1.x versions, I still get a painterly look when compared with CS3's identical "capture sharpening levels", specially in medium-high contrast zones, for instance, with a roof shadow in a white wall, LR definitively creates a dark grey line separating the grey shadow from the white wall; with roughly the same amount of sharpening in PS CS3 - I normally do Edge Sharpen, first, then Unsharp Mask after - you don't notice it at all, as it looks so natural...
Maybe it's my own fault - I have much more experience with CS3 than LR2 - but I'm really not achieving the same (good) results I have with PS.
Would appreciate some help, definitely.  

Regards,
Pedro
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:47:50 pm by No1 »

No1

LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:44:51 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're probably right... As I have much more experience with PS, but believe me, I'm seriously interested in achieving the same (capture sharpening) results within LR at the RAW stage; I will give it another try, maybe I haven't got the balance yet.  
Any suggestion?  

No1

LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:46:56 pm »

I don't know if you are or are not.  Perhaps if you posted images from each tool.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, it would probably help. The problem is - I don't know how to do it!  

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:10:05 pm »

You're probably right... As I have much more experience with PS, but believe me, I'm seriously interested in achieving the same (capture sharpening) results within LR at the RAW stage; I will give it another try, maybe I haven't got the balance yet. 
Any suggestion? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here is how I do it.

Open your image in the develop module, make your develop changes, then when it comes to the capture sharpening open 'compare' so you have the same file side by side - your developed image minus the sharpening and your original next to it. Then zoom in to 100% and match the zoom location.

Now hold down the alt key and run up the sharpening slider - this turns the images B&W and allows you to better see the sharpening. By having the original unsharpened image on the left and the image being sharpened on the right you can better see the results. Adjust to taste.

Now.. for setting the detail slider I close the compare image, zoom into 300% on the now sharpened file and you can clearly see the halo effect of adding 'detail'. Again - season to taste.  But remember, some halo is a good thing as it makes the image look sharp. The trick is in finding a balance.

Same applis for radius - I find it easier to see the dresult at 300% - but always go back to 100% to check the final result.

then for masking zoom into 100% and hold down the alt key whilst running up the slider to see what is being masked.

I find this the best way to get optimal sharpening results in LR. Im not saying its the best way - but its my way of working to get optimal capture sharpening.

Hope this helps.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

No1

LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:46:19 am »

Here is how I do it.

Open your image in the develop module, make your develop changes, then when it comes to the capture sharpening open 'compare' so you have the same file side by side - your developed image minus the sharpening and your original next to it. Then zoom in to 100% and match the zoom location.

Now hold down the alt key and run up the sharpening slider - this turns the images B&W and allows you to better see the sharpening. By having the original unsharpened image on the left and the image being sharpened on the right you can better see the results. Adjust to taste.

Now.. for setting the detail slider I close the compare image, zoom into 300% on the now sharpened file and you can clearly see the halo effect of adding 'detail'. Again - season to taste.  But remember, some halo is a good thing as it makes the image look sharp. The trick is in finding a balance.

Same applis for radius - I find it easier to see the dresult at 300% - but always go back to 100% to check the final result.

then for masking zoom into 100% and hold down the alt key whilst running up the slider to see what is being masked.

I find this the best way to get optimal sharpening results in LR. Im not saying its the best way - but its my way of working to get optimal capture sharpening.

Hope this helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I will give it a try.
Thank you for your help.

Littlefield

LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 04:31:30 pm »

Also buy the new Martin Evening book as he really shows how to do that method and goes in great detail on the mask etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 04:31:58 pm by Littlefield »

barryfitzgerald

LR vs PS sharpening
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 09:11:14 pm »

The only issue I see, is less sharpening (perfectly easy to get good results in LR), but more one of this base level NR applied to raw files.

I know, I have moaned a bit on this before, but it is still here. Will someone at adobe wake up a smell the coffee please! 0 should be 0

Ok its not LR 1.1 bad, but it is still here. Makes for less appealing high ISO raw work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up