Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sign of the Times  (Read 6013 times)

jeffok

• http://www.insightscapes.com
Sign of the Times
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:54:04 pm »

I could have selected a different crop from another Olympic venue and got a different result. Still, I think it's fair to say that Nikon has made a welcome comeback. Of course, the installed based of Canon lenses probably still outstrips that of Nikon at the average shooter level I suspect. Perhaps the number of Nikon lenses might also be a function of a stronger push by Nikon to provide their equipment to working pros at the Olympics.

And of course, some of those black lenses might be Sony's for all we know (admittedly very few in all likelihood)!

stever

Sign of the Times
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:03:31 am »

i noticed at least this concentration of Nikon lenses for gymnastics - pretty hard to for Canon to compete with the high ISO capibility of the D3 for indoor sports.  hoping this is a wakeup call for Canon

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Sign of the Times
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:29:34 am »

No one would start using an unfamiliar system at the Olympics. Anyone coming with a black lens is shooting Nikon.  Plus there just aren't that many loaners compared to the number of shooters at the Olympics.

I have to say, if I were still shooting sports professionally, I'd be one of the 'black horde', without a doubt.

(Sony long glass is white, btw).  

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Pete Ferling

Sign of the Times
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:50:14 am »

deleted.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:56:21 pm by Pete Ferling »

Theodore

• http://
Sign of the Times
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:33:03 pm »

I could have selected a different crop from another Olympic venue and got a different result. Still, I think it's fair to say that Nikon has made a welcome comeback.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On that point, I thought the larger shot (area wise) posted on Rob Galbraith's site was interesting:

However, it doesn't look like the cargo short / safari vest look is facing much competition.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:45:03 pm by Theodore »

macgyver

Sign of the Times
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:38:45 pm »

The vests are required to shoot there.

wiskerke

Sign of the Times
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 03:44:03 pm »

Crop? Here's a panorama:
http://www.karikuukka.com/peking2008/100m/
my guesstimate: 30%-70% black-white

Tklimek

Sign of the Times
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:53:27 pm »

Wow....that panorama is really cool!  Thanks for posting the link.

Cheers.....

Todd

Crop? Here's a panorama:
http://www.karikuukka.com/peking2008/100m/
my guesstimate: 30%-70% black-white
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216285\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James R

Sign of the Times
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:05:08 am »

Harrington's blog, http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/ , has some comments on the photo.  He is going  overseas to shoot a museum that will not permit the use of lights.  He is taking a D3 and D700, while leaving his Canons at home.  The economics of maintaining multiple systems is not a problem for pros such as Harrington, but, the average pro can't afford those costs.  Canon's next release must stem the Nikon tide, or it might continue to bleed its share of the pro market to those who value high ISO performance.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:01:19 pm by James R »

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Sign of the Times
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 09:29:54 am »

Harrington's blog, http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/ , has some comments on the photo.  He is going to overseas to shoot a museum that will not permit the use of lights.  He is taking a D3 and D700, while leaving his Canons at home.  The economics of maintaining multiple systems is not a problem for pros such as Harrington, but, the average pro can't afford those costs.  Canon's next release must stem the Nikon tide, or it might continue to bleed its share of the pro market to those who value high ISO performance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now just imagine that chip on 'roids....say about 3x the size, covering 645, at a stunningly clean 36MP.....that could get  a lot of people excited.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Pete Ferling

Sign of the Times
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 12:23:03 pm »

Now just imagine that chip on 'roids....say about 3x the size, covering 645, at a stunningly clean 36MP.....that could get  a lot of people excited.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A jump like that one?  Wow.  I would think higher ISO performance to be the next logical step.  I need to replace my old 1Ds... and waiting to see what the entrace fee will be for that feature -if Canon has an answer.

schrodingerscat

Sign of the Times
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 10:38:23 pm »

Now just imagine that chip on 'roids....say about 3x the size, covering 645, at a stunningly clean 36MP.....that could get  a lot of people excited.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hasselblad set to announce full frame 645 at Photokina.

schrodingerscat

Sign of the Times
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:37 pm »

I could have selected a different crop from another Olympic venue and got a different result. Still, I think it's fair to say that Nikon has made a welcome comeback. Of course, the installed based of Canon lenses probably still outstrips that of Nikon at the average shooter level I suspect. Perhaps the number of Nikon lenses might also be a function of a stronger push by Nikon to provide their equipment to working pros at the Olympics.

And of course, some of those black lenses might be Sony's for all we know (admittedly very few in all likelihood)!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems that Nikon has paired up with SI much like the old days of National Geographic, which could explain quite a bit of the black stuff. Hopefully this will wake Canon from it's long slumber.

bopbop

• http://www.housleyphoto.com
Sign of the Times
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 09:06:34 pm »

The  ratio of  good  guys  to  bad  guys  (your choice) notwithstanding, I was  struck  by the fact that those  thousands  of  pros  are  all getting the same  photo, that the 'Decisive Moment' likely has  hundreds  of  recorders.   Who gets the scoop, the  original?

It is  also interesting how  many  of the guys  are  not focussed  on the action- chimpin', adjustin',  bored?

I understand the  photographers position- which news  or  sports  photographer, even a dilettante, would  not want to be in Beijing  but from a  cost standpoint is  this  not  a  bit redundant?  

Nature Lover

Pete Ferling

Sign of the Times
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 09:35:47 pm »

The  ratio of  good  guys  to  bad  guys  (your choice) notwithstanding, I was  struck  by the fact that those  thousands  of  pros  are  all getting the same  photo, that the 'Decisive Moment' likely has  hundreds  of  recorders.   Who gets the scoop, the  original?

It is  also interesting how  many  of the guys  are  not focussed  on the action- chimpin', adjustin',  bored?

I understand the  photographers position- which news  or  sports  photographer, even a dilettante, would  not want to be in Beijing  but from a  cost standpoint is  this  not  a  bit redundant? 

Nature Lover
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As to the timing of the photo, it could have been a quiet moment.  As to the number of photographers, assuming they are all working for the same outfit (of course it's just a guess as I may in left field), redundancy is important.  How many keepers do you get in 100 takes for an average shoot?  Couple that with only a few seconds to make those shots and the odds go way up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up