Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boathouse Dawn  (Read 8111 times)

Rob C

Boathouse Dawn
« on: August 13, 2008, 11:12:13 am »

It´s one thing to make nice pictures, but it´s quite another to post monitor challenging material that causes great consternation in the breast of the lesser confident!

A ploy to increase the sales of calibration devices?

Rob C

michael

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:32:24 am »

Looks good on my screen.  

Seriously though, this is one of the dirty little secrets of photography on the web – a lot of image simply look like crap when they're reduced in size to 800 pixels, reduced in gamut to sRGB, and otherwise massaged for the web.

I used to not post images which were likely to be problematic for viewers. Now I figure that its the viewer's problem, not mine.

And, as for people that try and judge camera IQ based on small web images, well, the less said the better.

Michael

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:39:51 am »

Looks great to me!

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:04:21 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, a good way to show people what they actually need.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Rob C

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:02:58 pm »

Umm.. before we go ape, this WAS meant to be tongue-in-cheek on my part. Maybe I should have employed one of those horrid little faces to labour the point. That said, I admit that monitors should be calibrated and I have no doubts that the image looks good on Michael´s screen- he would hardly have published it otherwise!

Rob C

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:09:46 am »

Seriously though, this is one of the dirty little secrets of photography on the web – a lot of image simply look like crap when they're reduced in size to 800 pixels, reduced in gamut to sRGB, and otherwise massaged for the web.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, THAT's a relief!!! I thought it was just that my photographs were plain crap. Now I know it's the web's fault.  Phew.  
--
David Mantripp

picnic

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 11:04:09 am »

It´s one thing to make nice pictures, but it´s quite another to post monitor challenging material that causes great consternation in the breast of the lesser confident!

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL---I just looked at it with my laptop monitor (I had looked at it with my calibrated monitof I use for photographic processsing).  By george, it does look like crap (I am using Adobe gamma for it because my old Monaco Optic XRe  doesn't appear to have a driver).  I've tried others workarounds, etc.--so I just need to decide whether its worth it to buy a new calibrator just because of the laptop Vista OS or just (as I do now LOL) view images on the calbirated mornitor and continue just to use the laptop just for web browsing and email.

Diane

Rob C

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 03:42:49 pm »

LOL---I just looked at it with my laptop monitor (I had looked at it with my calibrated monitof I use for photographic processsing).  By george, it does look like crap (I am using Adobe gamma for it because my old Monaco Optic XRe  doesn't appear to have a driver).  I've tried others workarounds, etc.--so I just need to decide whether its worth it to buy a new calibrator just because of the laptop Vista OS or just (as I do now LOL) view images on the calbirated mornitor and continue just to use the laptop just for web browsing and email.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, nice to see one of the girls back again - wish there was more input from all of you.

Rob C

Rob C

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 05:03:31 pm »

Michael, have you changed/tweaked anything about the picture? I have done nothing to my screen, but I seem to see more detail in the framework of the shot...

Rob C

michael

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 07:57:47 pm »

Nope.

Michael

KeithR

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 09:59:35 pm »

LOL---I just looked at it with my laptop monitor (I had looked at it with my calibrated monitof I use for photographic processsing).  By george, it does look like crap (I am using Adobe gamma for it because my old Monaco Optic XRe  doesn't appear to have a driver).  I've tried others workarounds, etc.--so I just need to decide whether its worth it to buy a new calibrator just because of the laptop Vista OS or just (as I do now LOL) view images on the calbirated mornitor and continue just to use the laptop just for web browsing and email.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm running vista and using the Monaco XR Pro. I'll see I can find the driver that I got from the Monaco site for this. The other alternative is to get ColorEyes.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Rob C

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 03:07:17 pm »

Nope.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That´s worrying: I have been seeing a sort of wavey pattern happening sporadically towards the bottom of my monitor - a venerable Diamondtron - and I hope it isn´t a warning of things to come. Whilst I still have a monitor, do you have any personal suggestions for a non-CRT type, good enough for image working, that´s about 15 inches wide and not over about a grand ($)? This thing I have is great, if it lasts, but it forces me to sit sideways to the bench and that gets pretty damn uncomfortable. I need something flat to hang up on the wall in front of me. No, not a picture, in case anyone is tempted, a screen.

I know there´s a wealth of material written up about these things, just wondered if you could name something off the cuff.

Rob C

bcooter

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 04:06:47 pm »

but it forces me to sit sideways to the bench and that gets pretty damn uncomfortable.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is the best sentence I have read on this forum in the last 5 weeks.

Rob C

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 05:13:47 pm »

That is the best sentence I have read on this forum in the last 5 weeks.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad to be of help!

Rob C

Peter_DL

Boathouse Dawn
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 05:19:24 pm »

That´s worrying: I have been seeing a sort of wavey pattern ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Something seems to be wrong with the IQ here, even for a small jpg.
8x8 blotches are quite pronounced – measurably and visibly (for me).

Peter

--
Pages: [1]   Go Up