Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2.0 in 64 bit hogs CPU in Mac 10.5.4  (Read 2724 times)

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
LR 2.0 in 64 bit hogs CPU in Mac 10.5.4
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:59:33 pm »

If I am running LR 2.0 in 64 bit and open an image in Photoshop (command E), do work on it, then save it (command S) LR hogs the CPU continously. I have to quit Lightroom to continue. If I run as 32 bit LR performs OK. As an aside I notice also that if you reboot the Mac the 'open in 32 bit' box reverts to being ticked in the 'Get Info window'.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66GHz Dual Core 8GB ram 10.5.4. I've tried varying the amount of ram allocated to Photoshop but to no avail. Deleted LR prefs, optimized catalogue etc. No other applications running apart from Activity Monitor.

John

Muir

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:31:33 pm »

Unfortunately I can say that on my Macpro LR2 performance has so far been terrible.  I have plenty of RAM and LR1.4.1 ran very well.  Now I get periodic hangs (the system is nowhere near fully utilized), the program feels unresponsive at times eg when importing (1.4.1 didnt have this issue).  I'm trying the delete previews step many people have said helps significantly - I hope so.  Couple this with the fact that there are problems opening files in CS3 and this is seems a buggier release than I have experienced before.

It's also strange that these same issues appear to be common to quite a number of people yet none of the program reviewers appear to commented or experienced these issues.

I do hope adobe can figure out what is causing these issues and fix asap as it is marring an otherwise excellent product for me.

Muir

If I am running LR 2.0 in 64 bit and open an image in Photoshop (command E), do work on it, then save it (command S) LR hogs the CPU continously. I have to quit Lightroom to continue. If I run as 32 bit LR performs OK. As an aside I notice also that if you reboot the Mac the 'open in 32 bit' box reverts to being ticked in the 'Get Info window'.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66GHz Dual Core 8GB ram 10.5.4. I've tried varying the amount of ram allocated to Photoshop but to no avail. Deleted LR prefs, optimized catalogue etc. No other applications running apart from Activity Monitor.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214636\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike_Dougan

• http://www.thefieryscotsman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:04:41 am »

I'm intrigued as to where this "Get Info Window" is, care to point me in that direction?

francois

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:15:53 am »

I'm intrigued as to where this "Get Info Window" is, care to point me in that direction?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's in the Finder. Select LR icon and press CMD + I or File > Get Info…
Francois

Mike_Dougan

• http://www.thefieryscotsman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:16:59 pm »

Many thanks Francois. I've learnt something new about Mac's............ (long time Windoze user finally seen the light).

It like what other people are reporting keeps reverting back to 32 bit mode when I reboot the Macbook or iMac.

francois

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:18:24 am »

It like what other people are reporting keeps reverting back to 32 bit mode when I reboot the Macbook or iMac.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It also keeps reverting to 32-bit on my MacBook Pro (4GB of RAM)… It's probably a permission issue.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:57:00 am by francois »
Francois

francois

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:41:47 am »

Quick update: I changed the owner of the application (was  system [root]) and repaired disk permissions and now the setting sticks. I don't know if the change of owner is necessary or not. Warning: Don't mess with owners and groups if you don't know what you're doing.

Edit: I changed the owner of Lightroom back to root and the setting is still stcky! So, the user change is not useful.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:06:14 am by francois »
Francois

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:18 am »

I find running LR2.0 on my MacBookPro w/3GB RAM is a little pokey compared to v1.4.1. The seems to be a little hesitation getting the cursor back after using certain functions (crop, color corrections, and syncs). However, the new features are worth it. I'm sure that Adobe will upgrade with a fix. I'm currently returning from an Alaska vacation and I have a library containing only images from this trip which is up to about 3,000.

I only have about 10GB of space remaining on my 160GB internal drive. All images and library are backed up to a FW800 OWC 320GB external portable drive, but the main library and original images are on my internal drive. The drive being this full could be a contributing factor as I think Apple recommends at least 20% free HD space for optimum performance.

I don't notice the delays on my MacPro 8-core with 16GB RAM. I have 60k+ images in my LR 2 database.

These are the problems of living on the "bleeding edge" of technology.

Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up