Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the photographers workspace  (Read 10991 times)

eatstickyrice

• http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwaggoner
the photographers workspace
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:26:21 am »

Friends,

A recent post was made on a separate forum about the gear one photographer took to the Olympics. That link can be found here: http://www.vincentlaforet.com/Gear/ . Amongst the photos were several shots of what appears to be the photographers home office. I haven't seen a whole lot in the forums or any well developed articles about what makes a functional and enjoyable workspace for a photographer. So, I thought this could be something fun that we could talk about. Who knows, perhaps Jeff or Michael will find this interesting and write up a description of the elements of their workspaces.

My own personal workspace is a desk for my computer and hard drives, a separate cabinet with space on top where I can spread equipment out when packing for a shoot, a dry cabinet because of living in a humid part of the world, a combination scanner printer copier, a futon, some bookcases and books, my laptop, a gretag macbeth color calibration device and then bags of various kinds tucked away in several places. I'd like to add a full sized monitor before too long... As working on a laptop tends to hurt my neck over time. The color benefits would be helpful as well. I'd also like to add a bulletin board or magnetic board to throw stuff up onto. Any suggestions on other elements that would make this a more functional space?

Just for fun,
Rick
[url=http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwa

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:41:59 am »

Friends,

A recent post was made on a separate forum about the gear one photographer took to the Olympics. That link can be found here: http://www.vincentlaforet.com/Gear/ . Amongst the photos were several shots of what appears to be the photographers home office. I haven't seen a whole lot in the forums or any well developed articles about what makes a functional and enjoyable workspace for a photographer. So, I thought this could be something fun that we could talk about. Who knows, perhaps Jeff or Michael will find this interesting and write up a description of the elements of their workspaces.

My own personal workspace is a desk for my computer and hard drives, a separate cabinet with space on top where I can spread equipment out when packing for a shoot, a dry cabinet because of living in a humid part of the world, a combination scanner printer copier, a futon, some bookcases and books, my laptop, a gretag macbeth color calibration device and then bags of various kinds tucked away in several places. I'd like to add a full sized monitor before too long... As working on a laptop tends to hurt my neck over time. The color benefits would be helpful as well. I'd also like to add a bulletin board or magnetic board to throw stuff up onto. Any suggestions on other elements that would make this a more functional space?

Just for fun,
Rick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

More than anything I love my dual 23 inch Apple monitors.  I could not imagine working without them.

eatstickyrice

• http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwaggoner
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:45:04 am »

What do you put on each screen?

Rick
[url=http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/rickwa

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:38:28 am »

Interesting topic.

I make large format panoramic prints, so I always need more table space for all my 17x45 inch prints.  I have a 5'x5' tablefor matting, mounting, and framing. Stored underneath the table, I have flat storage shelves for large prints

I use an epson 2400 and 7880 in my studio, but only the 2400 is really within easy arms reach of the computer workstation.  I have a small halogen task lamp from Ikea that I can use when I dim the lights and need something close-by to turn on and off.  I also have an undercounter halogen light behind my monitor, turned to face the ceiling.  I like the way this lights the room from behind the monitor for color work.

Otherwise, I can't possibly have enough table space for all my cutters, straight-edges, paper, stored prints, etc...

It is a constant battle to keep ahead of the photo clutter of sample papers, test prints, and framing/mounting  supplies.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

framah

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 04:08:25 pm »

It's important to have the right amount and type of clutter to make it a true work space.

A good stereo and CD player with a pair of small bookshelf speakers is a must.

A small fridge and microwave for nourishment.

Piles of Photoshop  and Mac Life magazines for reference or something to read while waiting for a file to load from the only computer that can still run the scanner because the idiots at Kodak/Creo are too lazy to keep up with upgrades of their software!

Shelves where you store your camera equipment and accessories.

A central wall of elec outlets for the enormous amount of plugs needing juice to run all of the equipment.

A really good, comfortable chair is a must!

A small space heater under the desk for in the winter when it gets so cold outside it comes thru the wall and makes you shiver.

A big bottle of Aleve cause your getting old and things that didn't used to hurt are now hurting all  the time.

I'm sure I forgot a few things.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 06:02:08 am »

The most important aspect for me is probably a good sound system, can't work without music.

Cheers,
Bernard

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:06:54 am »

My studio is my middle bedroom (small) painted grey with a grey desk, grey bookcase and grey filing drawers to take the soon-to-arrive grey printer. I love to work in silence, which is probably just as well, as being  6.5 seconds away from the kitchen I can and do spend the day fuelled by cappuccinos, dark chocolate and pasta, and music might push me over the edge.
Favourite things are: heaters (it's 5 degrees C in there when I start in the morning), lots of scrap paper and pencils, shelves stuffed with photo mags for reference and my cat Martha on my lap to give advice. Oh, and an office chair on wheels to move around.
David

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:23:58 am »

The most important aspect for me is probably a good sound system, can't work without music.

Cheers,
Bernard
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, and when it´s not my own tapes/cds:

[a href=\"http://www.klrzfm.com]http://www.klrzfm.com[/url]

just as long as it isn´t the weekends or before 9pm (European) when the music gives way to local chat which means zilch if you live outwith Larose, Louisiana, USA!

Almost replaces Radio Caroline in this guy´s emotional network...

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:59:39 pm by Rob C »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:00:27 am »

I like to have counter tops and cabinets for workspace and storage. A locker for my camera equipment. A large, L-shaped computer desk with plenty of flat space to spread out my work. In this way there is some potential to be organized -- a place for everything -- even though I rarely live up to that potential.

My studio at work is painted a beautiful light neutral gray. The counter tops and desk are gray, too. It makes for a soothing, comfortable work space, and when I shoot the occasional studio photo, I don't have to worry about odd colors reflecting off the walls.

My office at home is in our basement. When we renovated the space for a TV room/office, my lovely wife chose a paint color called "Tropical" for the walls. Imagine a deep cool orange color, like the inside of a papaya. It's a very nice color, and with white trim and the right art on the walls, it's actually quite inviting. However, it's not a good color for a photo office. Trying to judge color prints is something of a trick. Forget trying to shoot a headshot without having to block off every side with black panels. (I've done it.)

Required accessories: a fridge, a coffee maker, a microwave. A good office chair. Prints of your best work on the wall. Piles of Photo District News. Small framed photos of your family, if any, on the desk -- might as well know what you are working for. A good music system, even if it's just an iPod with good ear buds. (My studio is in a building with other staff, so blasting my music wouldn't be nice.)

Oh, and the MOST important item -- a door that closes. Keeps out any potential distractions.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

sabatia

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 05:12:43 pm »

Not to be too mundane, but I have replaced most of the lightbulbs in my house, as well as my studio, with daylight compact florescents and my screen callibrated accordingly. Though I hear complaints about these, I bought them in bulk and any that flicker--typically one or two a dozen--I don't use or put in outside sockets.

As I still have many slides and negatives, I have a current Nikon film scanner. Also various solutions and pads to clean the film before scanning. Of course I have a modest sized light table for viewing. I used to have a huge light table that I could lay out a two-tray slide show on, but as now I only work with a few slides or negatives at a time....

I recently built a new photo studio building 14'x24' at my second home and had the luxury of putting up huge strong deep long shelves, two lower shelves being 6 inches high for laying out prints flat and for boxes of paper from letter to 17x22 and then larger shelves below for roll paper and up top for upright supplies. This is situated over one end of the desk and over the built-in table for my two printers, ipf5000 and r1800 so that I can just spin from the screen to the printer and just stand up right there for any supplies I need or to place prints. Though I have not had a problem with stacking prints bleeding into one another, for my better prints I interleave acid free paper if it is not going right into a mat.

Other things:
Paper cutting board, sharp knives, straight edge and t square, mechanical pencils.

A lovely comfortable architect/executive chair with lots of adjustments, casters, and ability to tilt back so I can put my feet up if I want.

Two large cork boards, from Staples, that I have rigged up with callibrated lights, for comparing images and posting temporary favorites.

Finally(not really!), I have a mat cutter and always a dozen or so sheets of mat board and foamcore.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »

Keeping my wife out!!

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 08:39:15 am »

It's important to have the right amount and type of clutter to make it a true work space.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL I could not agree more!

Clutter is a great aid to creativity. Clutter can provide great surprises. Clutter fits in with chaos theory (and probably fills it up quickly.) My clutter is precious to me. I thrive on clutter. Clutter provides an excellent and necessary counterbalance to the order in my head. If I were a poet I'd write an Ode To Clutter.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:41 am »

LOL I could not agree more!

Clutter is a great aid to creativity. Clutter can provide great surprises. Clutter fits in with chaos theory (and probably fills it up quickly.) My clutter is precious to me. I thrive on clutter. Clutter provides an excellent and necessary counterbalance to the order in my head. If I were a poet I'd write an Ode To Clutter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You just did!

Rob C

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:48:55 pm »

My office at the studio is separate from the camera room.  Simple desk for my G5 (hopefully upgraded later this fall) and 21" Eizo monitor.  I tried two monitors but prefer one so my wacom tablet isn't split in half and becomes two vertical pads rather than one larger horizontal one.  A side desk holds my printer, scanner, cds and other assorted 'stuff'.  I have two ceiling pot lights that give a nice ambiance to the room without throwing light directly on my monitor but provide enough for me to see my workspace.  I turn the overhead flourescents off.

The best thing I purchased for my camera room, aka the studio, was an upright 9 drawer tool chest on casters.  You know, one of those big rolling chests, red with black sliding drawers.  There's a place on top to place my bag and an accessory shelf off to the side to hold lenses while being changed, lens-caps, spare batteries, etc. while I'm working.  It's right beside my studio camera stand so everything is in easy reach and can be easily wheeled around if I need to move it.  It's also lockable so everything is put away and locked out of sight and secure when I'm not around.
Mike Guilbault

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 10:05:13 am »

The best thing I purchased for my camera room, aka the studio, was an upright 9 drawer tool chest on casters.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215723\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike: so that I can justify it to my wife...just what do you keep in this beast?

Seems like a wretched excess of storage, actually. Do you keep bodies and lenses in it, or leave those in your bag and use the drawers for the small bits.

You must have a lotta lens caps....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:05:47 am by mikeseb »
michael sebast

BruceHouston

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 10:47:52 am »

Is anyone using HEPA filters (inline with the necessary large air handlers in the A/C and heating system, of course) to maintain positive, dust-free pressure in your studio?

If so, I would appreciate knowing the brands of the various components.

Thanks,
Bruce

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: the photographers workspace
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 11:43:59 pm »

Mike: so that I can justify it to my wife...just what do you keep in this beast?
Seems like a wretched excess of storage, actually. Do you keep bodies and lenses in it, or leave those in your bag and use the drawers for the small bits.

You must have a lotta lens caps....

Yiikes.. it's been a while since I visited this thread. sorry for the delayed answer (only three years late!).

Well... if anyone is still interested, I keep lenses that I'm not currently needing in my bag, such as my Nikkor 85mm PC, and old AF-S 28-70mm 2.8, my 50mm 1.4 and various filters.  Another drawer has framing hardware, another has odd lighting (small flashes) and light modifiers.  One of the drawers in the tool chest actually has tools in it.. the usual stuff, hammer, screw-drivers etc.,  another has some old 4x5 film holders and various 'stuff'.  It's full, but I can't remember what's all in it now. I just know when I need to find something, it's probably in there!

And yes... I have a few spare lens caps!
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up