Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 900 miles from home, Canon 1DS III, and ERR 01  (Read 38547 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
900 miles from home, Canon 1DS III, and ERR 01
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 05:16:02 am »

On backup equipment, when I shot film it was with Pentax67, I have 3 bodies. I shoot aerial, twice I've had all 3 bodies fail within half an hour of each other, sometimes you just can't have to many backups!

Kevin.
Kevin.

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:21 am »

On backup equipment, when I shot film it was with Pentax67, I have 3 bodies. I shoot aerial, twice I've had all 3 bodies fail within half an hour of each other, sometimes you just can't have to many backups!

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pentax never claimed they had a good head for heights. I´d have failed too.

Rob C

DonWeston

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 12:33:44 pm »

Pentax never claimed they had a good head for heights. I´d have failed too.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

just read a poll the other day, saying one of the old jobs that is disappearing in the last decade are quality control inspectors from all manufacturing...sad, my dad did this for the air craft industry 40+ yrs ago....the feeling is with computerized processes, the "errors" just aren't common enough anymore to justify someone to oversee things now....very sad, and mostly untrue, more like it is cheaper to deal with issues that due arise after the fact then prevent the costumer from having to deal with them afterwards....pride....not so important.....

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 05:35:46 am »

Nothing to do with QC with the 1ds mark 3, it can happen with any piece of equipment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have any other Canon cameras had the problems the 1DS3 has had?

dwdallam

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 05:37:49 am »

Kevin.

LOL. Well, at least statistically speaking, that will NEVER happen to you again.

dwdallam

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 05:41:20 am »

While shooting tethered in 100˚F heat (with flags over the camera & computer) I got ERR_01 several times over the course of a week. I simple re-booted the camera and all was fine. My shoot went on without a hitch. I was using only one lens (90mm TS-E) the entire time, and it has some miles on it.

I do have a 1Ds2 for a backup, with all the "old style" battery gear. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Today I changed my 70-200 with my 24-70 and got 9 ERR 01's out of 11 shots after taking teh lens off each time and screwing it back on. I'm guessing it's not a reset thing? After that, I just capped the body and am waiting for my return home to send it in.

I'm going to go swimming tomorrow in a lake and do nothing the rest of my trip but relax and screw off. It's too bad though. There are lots of subjects to shoot here.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:41:50 am by dwdallam »

woof75

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 08:38:29 am »

Today I changed my 70-200 with my 24-70 and got 9 ERR 01's out of 11 shots after taking teh lens off each time and screwing it back on. I'm guessing it's not a reset thing? After that, I just capped the body and am waiting for my return home to send it in.

I'm going to go swimming tomorrow in a lake and do nothing the rest of my trip but relax and screw off. It's too bad though. There are lots of subjects to shoot here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Get a mail order canon xsi from B&H overnighted to you and sell it second hand when you get back. Thats what I'd have done the moment my main camera got an error.

ruraltrekker

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 09:08:30 am »

Have any other Canon cameras had the problems the 1DS3 has had?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215169\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Huh?

I have had no problems with the 1Ds3. Not sure your isolated issue constitutes your statement that the camera (in general) has problems.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 09:13:27 am »

Huh?

I have had no problems with the 1Ds3. Not sure your isolated issue constitutes your statement that the camera (in general) has problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215210\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will echo those sentaments - more than 10,000 frames on my 1DSMK3 and NOT one issue.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

cgf

• http://
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 09:23:13 am »

Mr. Murphy is always waiting to pounce....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't forget his friend...

O'Reilly's Paradigm: Murphy was an Optimist !!!

Once O'Reilly turns up, I just go home, get back into bed, and wait for tomorrow. Only happens a few times each decade, but saves a lot of problems...

dwdallam

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 09:42:12 pm »

Huh?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215210\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's not an isolated issue when you do what I said and see how many hits you get for ERR 01 Canon Ids etc. Also, if you do your research you will see that the 1DS3 had view finder alignment problems that Re all over the net. It also had ERR 99 problems.

ruraltrekker

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 10:06:39 pm »

It's not an isolated issue when you do what I said and see how many hits you get for ERR 01 Canon Ids etc. Also, if you do your research you will see that the 1DS3 had view finder alignment problems that Re all over the net. It also had ERR 99 problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well lucky me. I have one of the first that came available & have had no issues. I still think your statement is a bit over the top. Sure there was a run of cameras with the viewfinder problem. As to "googling" ERR 01 that really means nothing - the internet has long been full of bitching posts that "tip" into some kind of false reality. It is the best of the series by a long shot - and yes, I do have experince to say that statement.

Of course you could prove me wrong by doing a poll.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 11:16:43 pm »

I think the point is that your prior post strongly insinuated that there was or is a slew of problems with the 1DS MK3 across the board.

Clearly, this is NOT the case.

You are correct that it is not an isolated incident if it is continually happening on your camera - but as far as I am aware it IS isolated to your specific camera.

As above there was some reported view finder alignment issues with a small batch of cameras, which Canon rectified for those affected. You do not appear to have had this issue.

There have been no other reported issues that are not individually camera specific to my knowledge.

Sounds like you have just been unlucky - heck it happens to all of us. I had problems with a super expensive very high end audio processor earlier this year, but it was just bad luck with my unit. Not symptomatic of a wider problem with all units. Thankfully my dealer quickly replaced and I moved on.

One of my best clients had ongoing issues with a very expensive italian sportscar that shall remain nameless. Were all of this companies cars bad or plagued with problems?

No... he just got unlucky and ended up with a car that had a manufacturing fault that was intermitent and hard to pin down.

The point is - dont condem an entire model line because you have been unlucky.

Speak to your dealer, from memory you only recently purchased the MK3 and you will be covered under warranty. So no stress other than the fact you didnt have a back up with you. Lesson learned I would hope.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:18:00 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 04:47:39 am »

Today I changed my 70-200 with my 24-70 and got 9 ERR 01's out of 11 shots after taking teh lens off each time and screwing it back on. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried what I suggested above?

Cheers,
Bernard

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 05:34:27 am »

Kevin.

When I first read that I read "fall" instead of "fail" I suppose that would also be a good motivation for having a back up.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 04:41:18 pm »

It's not an isolated issue when you do what I said and see how many hits you get for ERR 01 Canon Ids etc.

OK I googled ERR 01 Canon Ids ....

Not what I'd classify as a "lot" of hits, considering many go back years to the original 1Ds.  In fact after about the 3rd page, the Canon 1Ds was the part getting the hits, and most had nothing to do with ERR 01.  Considering the sheer number of 1Ds, 1DsMk2 and 1DsMk3 bodies that have been sold, the number of hits doesn't seem to indicate any serious problem.

I've had 2 1Ds, 2 1Ds mark II, a 5d, and now a 1Ds Mark3, and i've never seen this error.

I feel bad for you that this bit you when it did (murphy's law), but to infer that this problem is prevalent because a google search returns countless pages, when in fact most of the hits have nothing to do with the problem is a stretch.

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 01:37:13 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My Canon 1Ds M2 sometime gave me ERR-01 error with the 24-70 f2.8 lens. Most often it was because I had probably twisted that lens just a bit too far. Try to twist slightly back without pressing the lens release button on your Canon. Maybe it could help. Atleast you'd know if that's the problem.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

dwdallam

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 02:38:40 am »

OK I googled ERR 01 Canon Ids ....

Not what I'd classify as a "lot" of hits, considering many go back years to the original 1Ds.  In fact after about the 3rd page, the Canon 1Ds was the part getting the hits, and most had nothing to do with ERR 01.  Considering the sheer number of 1Ds, 1DsMk2 and 1DsMk3 bodies that have been sold, the number of hits doesn't seem to indicate any serious problem.

I've had 2 1Ds, 2 1Ds mark II, a 5d, and now a 1Ds Mark3, and i've never seen this error.

I feel bad for you that this bit you when it did (murphy's law), but to infer that this problem is prevalent because a google search returns countless pages, when in fact most of the hits have nothing to do with the problem is a stretch.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215548\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My point is that it is not an isolated incident. Also, many people do not refer to the problem as ERR 01. If you get creative with the searching, you could find much more too. In fact several in this thread alone have said they ahve had this exact problem.

dwdallam

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 02:39:57 am »

My Canon 1Ds M2 sometime gave me ERR-01 error with the 24-70 f2.8 lens. Most often it was because I had probably twisted that lens just a bit too far. Try to twist slightly back without pressing the lens release button on your Canon. Maybe it could help. Atleast you'd know if that's the problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I twisted them every way I could. I got the repair confirmation and I'm sending it in tomorrow.

Thanks to all those with helpful comments.

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2008, 08:55:14 am »

Thanks for the "told you so" remarks, but that doesn't solve or try to solve the problem. The reason I only took the DS3 was because like I said, it was an oversight, and second, I had only planned to do landscape and other object oriented photography.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214657\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, really.  That's harsh, it'd be one thing if they said "told ya so" then told you how to fix it.  

heh...

Everything I can find relates to the body, as you've observed, and I'm wondering if you've tried updating or even just re-installing the firmware?  Even if you're current, it may have got corrupted...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:56:05 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up