Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Site Edits  (Read 3362 times)

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Site Edits
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:06:37 pm »

Hello All,

After reading many, many of the pages on the site I have come to the conclusion that the authors, while brilliant in writing style and composition, make occasional spelling/grammatical mistakes.

Is there a place on this forum where we can contribute to the well being of the site, by illuminating some of the errors that we may find?

I'm not trying to be anal-retentive, but I think that I would want to know if there were errors on my own site.

Example:
on the front page of the site (Selected Recent Highlights) today (Monday August 11, 12:01pm ET):

"Phase One P65+ Preview – 60 Megapixels, full frame 645, and varable resolution"

- Mike

framah

Site Edits
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:18:05 pm »

Ok... you actually ARE being anal about this.

The last thing we need are grammar police constantly reminding everyone they missed a letter while they were typing.

Yes, it is annoying to have to decipher some of the posts but it's not up to you to officially blow the whistle on people with poor typing or spelling skills.

Let it go. We'll all be happier for it.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

mike.online

Site Edits
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:57:28 pm »

Ok... you actually ARE being anal about this.

The last thing we need are grammar police constantly reminding everyone they missed a letter while they were typing.

Yes, it is annoying to have to decipher some of the posts but it's not up to you to officially blow the whistle on people with poor typing or spelling skills.

Let it go. We'll all be happier for it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see that there are some strong opinions about this. Lets be clear here, I don't think any forum is worth editing, because it is informal conversation... The Luminous Landscape however is a site where accomplished photographers write essays. Essays which, I would assume, the authors would want to know where there are errors, especially with the size of the audience involved (Running total of visits to the above URL since 15 Jul 2007: 5,719,910).

In other words, it would be nice give back to the authors by letting them know where (if any) their errors exist, so that they may have better, error free articles which everyone can benefit by.

framah

Site Edits
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:55:30 pm »

Then just contact the authors personally.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Rob C

Site Edits
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:49:45 pm »

Okay then, we are into perfect English tonight.

Two things come to mind: I do agree that people who intentionally refuse to use capital letters where they should be used are a pretentious bunch of folk, if not genuinely ignorant; I also think that I would rather get the benefit of someone´s stream-of-consciousnes, if that´s their style - it can lend a certain reality to what they might be imparting - than have them clam up because their slip might be showing.

Not everyone has had the benefit of a great education; those that have should be quietly grateful for it and not crow, a somewhat unpleasant characteristic, to say the least.

Insofar as those for whom English is not their first language: good for you and thanks for posting anyway; it´s good to communicate in whichever way you can.

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:50:14 pm by Rob C »

Pete Ferling

Site Edits
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 04:58:50 pm »

That's funny, I was so busy enjoying the content that I never noticed the spelling errors.

Content is king, give me content.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Site Edits
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:46:18 pm »

coughdorkcough.

mike.online

Site Edits
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 07:03:02 pm »

Then just contact the authors personally.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tried that method. no response.

Well, looks like the almighty forum has spoken. no post-proofing.

stamper

Site Edits
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 04:36:04 am »

Quote from: mike.online,Aug 11 2008, 06:03 PM
Tried that method. no response.

Well, looks like the almighty forum has spoken. no post-proofing.

Should that not read?

Well, it looks like the almighty forum has spoken. No post-proofing?

If I spelt color as colour, would I be wrong There is a difference between American English and the English spoken in Britain  
Pages: [1]   Go Up