Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP B9180 printer  (Read 2609 times)

michaelmich1

HP B9180 printer
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:05:57 am »

In Sept 2006 Luminous Landscapes Reviews wrote a favorable review of the B9180.  I'm trying to avoid repeating sad experiences with Epson paper feed and am considering the HP printers.  Now that the LL Reviewer and several LL members have enjoyed 2 years with the 9180 how has the 9180 compared with Epson in reliability and ease of use?? Thanks. michaelmich1.

duncandavidson

HP B9180 printer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:50:11 pm »

Now that the LL Reviewer and several LL members have enjoyed 2 years with the 9180 how has the 9180 compared with Epson in reliability and ease of use??
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A good copy of the HP B9180 will work like a champ for you. I know several people with ones that make great prints day in day out. The ink cleaning system works well for them and keeps everything working with a minimum of fuss.

My own experience hasn't been as rosy. If sensor that the printer uses to check its nozzle output gets dirty or otherwise malfunctions, then the machine starts to think its heads are clogged and will purge through lots of ink to clean them. And I do mean a lot. My ink consumption this year ramped up fairly rapidly and left the inside of my copy a goopy mess that I've had to pull the plug on. There are photos of mine (as well as comparison photos to a properly working unit) up on my blog at: [a href=\"http://duncandavidson.com/2008/08/two-big-hp-b9180-problems.html]http://duncandavidson.com/2008/08/two-big-...0-problems.html[/url]

If you do get one (or have one), I'd recommend checking the status of things following HP's instructions and then keep things clean. The how to from HP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=1142684&dlc=en

Duncan

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
HP B9180 printer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:25:59 pm »

In Sept 2006 Luminous Landscapes Reviews wrote a favorable review of the B9180.  I'm trying to avoid repeating sad experiences with Epson paper feed and am considering the HP printers.  Now that the LL Reviewer and several LL members have enjoyed 2 years with the 9180 how has the 9180 compared with Epson in reliability and ease of use?? Thanks. michaelmich1.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like Duncan I to have a mixed experience with the printer, and I have collected
some of the solutions to my problems at [a href=\"http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Essays/Articles/HP_B9180/]this page[/url].

In 1.5 years I have had 2 printers fail, and I'm getting my second replacement unit
any day now...

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

E Slagle

HP B9180 printer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:34:05 pm »

My 'honeymoon' lasted 8 months. Ironically, I came to the LL forums to kill some time as I was downloading all new software for my 9180--then I found this thread.

After making five prints today my 9180 suddenly decided to stop printing; the OS thinks the printer is doing its thing but the job is randomly canceled somewhere in the pipeline.

Called tech. First, they tried to tell my that my warranty was expired; it's not--I purchased this printer in September of last year. Long story short; they're sending me a "refurb". Did I mention that this is my 2nd refurb...in less than two months!

The new software did not help needless to say.

Eric

duncandavidson

HP B9180 printer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:33:54 pm »

In 1.5 years I have had 2 printers fail, and I'm getting my second replacement unit
any day now...

Yowza. That's not encouraging at all. Hopefully your new unit will be a good one. Mine is most definitely out of warranty, and I'm now considering what to do next. 17" seems to be calling.

Duncan

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
HP B9180 printer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 05:06:46 am »

Yowza. That's not encouraging at all. Hopefully your new unit will be a good one. Mine is most definitely out of warranty, and I'm now considering what to do next. 17" seems to be calling.

Duncan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope that the replacement will last 6-12 months, as seems to be the average
lifespan of this printer in my experience, and then I too will get a 17" next.  

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

tomm101

HP B9180 printer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 03:03:07 pm »

I hope that the replacement will last 6-12 months, as seems to be the average
lifespan of this printer in my experience, and then I too will get a 17" next.   

Ronny
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mine (work printer) has been going day in day out 20-30 letter sized prints a day for 18 months. It has been a good printer, I hoping soon to have an electronic solution soon. It is amazing how many things have to be covered for a medical rcord.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up