Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: "The Call"  (Read 13720 times)

mrleonard

Re: "The Call"
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:05:18 pm »

International travel, production artists making expensive props, agents,assistants,stylists,makeup/hair and very expensive camera equipment.

"1" rather mediocre image in my opinion.

The camera doesn't matter !

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 07:44:44 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's one link in the chain, and every link matters.  We could argue forever about what the most important link is, but if you had no camera then you would have no photo.

tho_mas

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:00:13 pm »

"1" rather mediocre image in my opinion.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
misjudged or frustrated artist without income?

The camera doesn't matter ![a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is that so? You seem to be a good observer: it was not the camera that created the image.

mrleonard

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 08:40:31 pm »

misjudged or frustrated artist without income?

Is that so? You seem to be a good observer: it was not the camera that created the image.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Im neither frustrated or without income thx...

"the camera doesn't matter' refers to a lively discussion that took place here a while back....Perhaps you are new...

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23992&hl=]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=23992&hl=[/url]

Tony Beach

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:08:19 pm »

"the camera doesn't matter' refers to a lively discussion that took place here a while back....Perhaps you are new...
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=23992&hl=
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is the point of resurrecting a dead horse so you can beat it some more? Frankly, dismissing the camera is as lame as dismissing the photographer.  Also, judging images based on a display size they were not intended for is misguided and contributes to a misunderstanding of the relevance of what greater resolution sometimes brings to an image.  Finally, if you don't bring a high resolution camera to the job, there are some jobs you will not get, like the one discussed in the article.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:35:54 pm »

How many photographer does it take to make a great shot? One to actually do the shot and the rest of the industry to say "I coulda done it better".

mrleonard

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 12:00:58 am »

What is the point of resurrecting a dead horse so you can beat it some more? Frankly, dismissing the camera is as lame as dismissing the photographer.  Also, judging images based on a display size they were not intended for is misguided and contributes to a misunderstanding of the relevance of what greater resolution sometimes brings to an image.  Finally, if you don't bring a high resolution camera to the job, there are some jobs you will not get, like the one discussed in the article.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I (obviously) wasn't trying to resurrect a dead horse...was simply clarifying what my statement was alluding too(with tongue firmly in cheek). In any event..it seems my general point (whether you agree or not) was lost on you,  so let me rephrase...

" All the best that money can buy, and with the best intentions, didn't (in this case) create any substantiative creative output."

But hey, that's just my opinion. I would rather see posted stories of people that have done the opposite....Substantial creative work with very little material to start.

Tony Beach

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:18:48 am »

I (obviously) wasn't trying to resurrect a dead horse...was simply clarifying what my statement was alluding too(with tongue firmly in cheek). In any event..it seems my general point (whether you agree or not) was lost on you,  so let me rephrase...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I understand your intentions perfectly -- it's called trolling.  You attack the author of the article and everyone else who gets in your way.  

" All the best that money can buy, and with the best intentions, didn't (in this case) create any substantiative creative output."

But hey, that's just my opinion. I would rather see posted stories of people that have done the opposite....Substantial creative work with very little material to start.

The biggest difference between professional and amateur photographers is that pros take photographs for clients and amateurs take photographs for themselves.  When you are taking photographs for someone else, all that matters is that their needs and expectations are met -- artistic merit be damned.  The least important consideration of any photographer, be they professional or amateur, is what Mr. Leonard thinks of their work.

tho_mas

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 04:54:34 am »

"the camera doesn't matter' refers to a lively discussion that took place here a while back....Perhaps you are new...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
yes, I am new. Here. The discussion is not new. Can be found in all the forums around the world and is almost as essential as hairspray for a bald head.
Have you ever noticed that discussions like these ...
didn't create any substantiative creative output.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
..?
Bitching does not create something.

MarkL

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:57 am »

International travel, production artists making expensive props, agents,assistants,stylists,makeup/hair and very expensive camera equipment.

Agreed but if a shot of an over retouched model humping a giant number 1 made phase happy I guess they did their work well.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:08:31 am »

You've spent half your life on this forum in "The camera does not matter" thread.

The other half you've spent asking professionals what's the best point and shoot.

???????

Why not show us all those great photos you've made with your LX2?

Publicly trashing someone else's photos in front of an audience of hundreds of people is pretty tasteless.  James has been one of the greatest givers and contributors to this forum (and several other forums).  The least you could do is apologize to him.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 11:28:36 am »

Could you get that image with your lx2?

mrleonard

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 11:51:50 am »

[attachment=7878:attachment]
The biggest difference between professional and amateur photographers is that pros take photographs for clients and amateurs take photographs for themselves.  When you are taking photographs for someone else, all that matters is that their needs and expectations are met -- artistic merit be damned.  The least important consideration of any photographer, be they professional or amateur, is what Mr. Leonard thinks of their work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed...but that being said, I don't think it's a very strong image. Phase one spent a lot and got what they wanted I guess.

Jeez..I can have an opinion on it. Y'all can get your hate on if you wish....because here's my picture of "1" for you.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 11:59:52 am »

Look guys, James is one of the world´s better lensmen; he doesn´t give a damn  (I hope!) about opinions from lesser mortals and I sure hope he doesn´t start now!

I think this site is wide enough to allow dissenting voices too, so let´s not get too defensive about this storm in an egg-cup; I´d rather people were free to voice what they feel than not.

Michael has the power to banish whomsoever he dislikes - if he thinks James too thin-skinned to take such stuff I´m certain he will do what might be required.

Rob C

mrleonard

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 12:00:27 pm »

You've spent half your life on this forum in "The camera does not matter" thread.

The other half you've spent asking professionals what's the best point and shoot.

???????

Why not show us all those great photos you've made with your LX2?

Publicly trashing someone else's photos in front of an audience of hundreds of people is pretty tasteless.  James has been one of the greatest givers and contributors to this forum (and several other forums).  The least you could do is apologize to him.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Er...I haven't been asking any such questions...about p&s cameras.

I don't think you're really interested in seeing my work...I think you just wanna' have a go.Is there any sense of humour at this forum?
Oh well....attchd another.
"MY model in front of MY one"
Ya...shot with the LX2 actually
[attachment=7881:attachment]

So James is a nice fellow then. Well...I'm sorry if I hurt his feelings. I am sure he doesn't care what I think. Having an opinion on his image, which was posted on a major website is hardly 'trashing' someone.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 12:20:24 pm »

Look guys, James is one of the world´s better lensmen; he doesn´t give a damn  (I hope!) about opinions from lesser mortals and I sure hope he doesn´t start now!

I think this site is wide enough to allow dissenting voices too, so let´s not get too defensive about this storm in an egg-cup; I´d rather people were free to voice what they feel than not.

Michael has the power to banish whomsoever he dislikes - if he thinks James too thin-skinned to take such stuff I´m certain he will do what might be required.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214436\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have a problem with his criticism of the image.  I have a problem with the camera not mattering.  Two reasons.  1. It was for phase one.  So, um, do the math.  2. Like it or not I think that might be tough to do with a lot of cameras.

If we take the image out of context then everything is fair game.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 12:22:33 pm »

So James is a nice fellow then. Well...I'm sorry if I hurt his feelings. I am sure he doesn't care what I think. Having an opinion on his image, which was posted on a major website is hardly 'trashing' someone.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What?!?  You mean you're not going to apologize for having an opinion?

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 05:02:31 pm »

If we take the image out of context then everything is fair game.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214443\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, Mr P

That´s one of my problems, the context: I don´t have that Quick Time thing and I don´t want to put it into the computer because I already have other bits and bobs for watching videos etc. The result? I can´t get to watch James´s film, which bugs me more than somewhat and raises (for me) hackles about the multiplicity of different devices to do the same damn thing.

That´s not about the much lauded "choices" that folks like to protect - it´s all about restriction. As I can already catch ancient videos of Jerry Lee Lewis et al doing their thing on a variety of sites, it sems daft to have to download yet another system, even if the basic one is free. Something ain´t right with the equation: it don´t balance!

Rob C

Slough

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 03:34:39 am »

I am impressed that you can form such an opinion from such a small web image. I think the conclusion when posting must be that "The brain doesn't matter".  

Slough

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 03:36:25 am »

[attachment=7878:attachment]

Agreed...but that being said, I don't think it's a very strong image. Phase one spent a lot and got what they wanted I guess.

Jeez..I can have an opinion on it. Y'all can get your hate on if you wish....because here's my picture of "1" for you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214433\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's rather crude on your part.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up