Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf 65 OR P30?  (Read 2529 times)

rollei8is

Leaf 65 OR P30?
« on: August 09, 2008, 09:13:07 am »

I recently discovered this forum. I have been photographing for a long time, 4X5 to 35mm.

I recently decided to purchase a MF digital back and I have been talking to several dealers. The choices are

New Leaf 65 OR Refurbished P30. I will be using it with an H1 outdoors.

I would appreciate any suggestions and potential pitfalls I need to look  out for.

Thanks

RS

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Leaf 65 OR P30?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:43:22 pm »

I recently discovered this forum. I have been photographing for a long time, 4X5 to 35mm.

I recently decided to purchase a MF digital back and I have been talking to several dealers. The choices are

I would appreciate any suggestions and potential pitfalls I need to look  out for.
Thanks

RS
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

You may wish to read replies to my post here [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22701&hl=]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=22701&hl=[/url]

I went for Aptus 65. One thing that has amazed me is that colors already when I open up at defaults in CS3 look very good! Also that consistent when I judge images good on LCD of back, they look better on computer screen. Some have said the LCD is washed out in bright light... I do not see a problem. The LCD is a tool to judge your images and as such beats LCD on P30 hands down.

That said, my impression is that P30 is its equal, but... the images have a different feeling/look when working with them. The Aptus 65 feel as photographic images, while ones I seen from P30 looks like slides.

Be cautious though that for H1 the Leaf back was heavier than for my Mamiya 645, due to that the plate that attached to H1 is heavier. P30 requires you to use Capture One for processing.

Above said, I had same choices as you, refurbished P30 vs. New Aptus 65. The Aptus carried three year warranty .... and Phase One pricing levels were cryptic...

Do demo both!

Both are very good, but different.

Regards
Anders

andybuk99

Leaf 65 OR P30?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:17:16 pm »

I looked at both at Focus a year ago. I found it very difficult to get a viewing at the show, by either of them (understandably I suppose) although I eventually did. Leaf were very accommodating and didn't patronize me as I hadn't worked with digital at all. I then popped round to the the Phase One stand and eventually spoke to someone, who was in all honesty very rude. He didn't seem to take an interest in me as a possible customer and also I felt uneasy asking questions when he was glancing around to see if anyone else looked more important. I then went back to both stands and asked for sample images, Leaf said pop back in about 30 minutes and Phase said they would send one on.

This is only my situation but I really do think you should take into account the support of the backs and the systems. I have been happy up to now, but I will post shortly as I have made a request to Leaf regarding an adapter plate.

Panopeeper

Leaf 65 OR P30?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 07:34:23 pm »

P30 requires you to use Capture One for processing
P30 raw images can be developed by LR/ACR as well.
Gabor

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Leaf 65 OR P30?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:51:04 pm »

P30 raw images can be developed by LR/ACR as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, they sure can...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:51:30 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
Leaf 65 OR P30?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:51:01 am »

I would appreciate any suggestions and potential pitfalls I need to look  out for.
Thanks

RS
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you would like any help with your decision on the Leaf Aptus 65 or the P30, I would be glad to help you.  

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  
Pages: [1]   Go Up