Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marks on prints with HP B9180  (Read 3223 times)

Greg Schneider

Marks on prints with HP B9180
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:24:53 pm »

I'm unsure if these are roller marks, but I have been having this issue with my B9180. I got the printer replaced, but I am seeing similar things with the replacement, though it is less noticeable.

Seems to only happen on luster (Moab Lasal Luster) and HP's Pro Satin paper. I have not printed a Pro Satin print on the replacement to compare yet. It is essentially impossible to see on soft gloss paper.

Here is a picture to illustrate. It is not really noticeable in direct light, but with any oblique light it can be seen.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:01:08 pm »

I'm unsure if these are roller marks, but I have been having this issue with my B9180. I got the printer replaced, but I am seeing similar things with the replacement, though it is less noticeable.

Seems to only happen on luster (Moab Lasal Luster) and HP's Pro Satin paper. I have not printed a Pro Satin print on the replacement to compare yet. It is essentially impossible to see on soft gloss paper.

Here is a picture to illustrate. It is not really noticeable in direct light, but with any oblique light it can be seen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, not roller marks. It's banding, probably of the gloss enhancer. Try cleaning the heads, and make sure you've chosen a high resolution setting. At least with the bigger Z3100 you get stripes like this when you try printing at lower resolution, or if too many jets are clogged. There may be enough firing to get an image and to satisfy the printer's self-test, but you will get this kind of subtle banding.

Greg Schneider

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:04:53 pm »

Nope, not roller marks. It's banding, probably of the gloss enhancer. Try cleaning the heads, and make sure you've chosen a high resolution setting. At least with the bigger Z3100 you get stripes like this when you try printing at lower resolution, or if too many jets are clogged. There may be enough firing to get an image and to satisfy the printer's self-test, but you will get this kind of subtle banding.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, that's good to know. I am using new carts that came with the replacement printer. The only thing that hasn't changed are the printheads - they did not replace those. By your reply, it sounds like that should be the next step.

There is no gloss enhancer AFAIK on the B9180. Res was either 300dpi or 600dpi, can't remember now, but it was sufficient.

Greg Schneider

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:22:04 pm »

I got new printheads from HP, same problem.   Not sure what else I can do. It works just fine on soft gloss paper.

Greg Schneider

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »

This isn't bronzing is it? I'm going to try HP's Pro Satin paper and see if I can still see the effect, because even with a new printer, ink and printheads I'm seeing the same on the Moab Luster paper.

If it's not the paper then I'm not sure what else I can do.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:54:19 pm »

You have to try printing with Maximum detail. It slows down the ink path allowing more interleaf drying. If that doesn't clear it up , it is the paper itself, possibly not well manufactured.
With the 9180 there is the possibility of roller marks on the back of the paper, on the front it can only be pin wheel marks on photo material. IF there is banding it has to be a paper feed / drying time combination or a media defect.

Greg Schneider

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 02:57:29 pm »

I will try that. I would be quite shocked if it were a paper defect, as I have seen it on Moab Luster, HP Pro Satin & HP Satin-Matte, to varying degrees.

Greg Schneider

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:21:25 pm »

Awesome, that seems to have completely solved the problem! I still have to try the Pro Satin as it easily showed it far more than the others, but it essentially eliminated them on Satin-Matte.

Should one always use the maximum dpi setting? I'd imagine this takes a lot more ink, but might be necessary with this issue.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:21:41 am »

When getting odd results I find it best to use the maxdpi mode.  Starting to do that all the time now.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:03:28 pm »

No Maximum DPI doesn't use any more ink over Best. I can't say for sure but I think it actually uses less. Spooling time though is much longer, print time too.

I always use MAxdetail on images with large dark areas. Otherwise no.

Greg Schneider

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:22:15 pm »

Good to know, and that is reassuring. Just glad to see that the problem appears fixed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up