Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View colour space info in LR2  (Read 2012 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
View colour space info in LR2
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:14:33 am »

It's probably obvious but it's got me stumped.
I have some tif files in the LR2 library and I need to see what colour space they are in (usually prophoto or aRGB). Where do I find it? In Bridge the colour profile is in the metadata window but I don't want to go there as I may die of old age before it finally opens and loads the image.
Thanks, David

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:32:30 am »

I don't know if this is possible in LR2.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?
Eric Chan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:55:20 am »

LR doesn't tell you. It assumes untagged doc's are sRGB, uses the embedded profiles it finds correctly for previewing. And if you do any edits, it doesn't really matter, its going to convert into linear encoded ProPhoto RGB. It might be useful to know the original color space should you wish to honor that on export (assuming its one of the three supported spaces).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:12:26 pm »

I don't know if this is possible in LR2.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you both very much for your replies. To answer your question Eric, I have a couple of programs that don't embed the colour space on output (Autopano Pro for example), so I need to know this information when I open the resulting images in Photoshop so that I can assign one (this could be weeks later- the processing is often done in motel rooms or airports on a laptop).
I'm using LR as a browser in this case, and as the thumbnails are created on import  it's really quick to view an image and its metadata. On my oldish computer Bridge is too buggy and sloooow.
Secondly I tend to have my tif edits in in either Prophoto or Adobe rgb depending on the perceived range of colour in the photo, on the theory of "why use a bucket to hold a glass of water?". Call me a bit slow, but it helps me to know in advance of going from LR to Photoshop for softproofing whether or not I'm likely to have out of gamut problems when printing.
Cheers, David
Pages: [1]   Go Up