Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5  (Read 9637 times)

Zachary Goulko

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:06:38 pm »

So I finally picked up an Aptus 75, primarily for in-studio still life work, and had a couple of questions. I decided that my main main benefit of going with a digital back is to be able to slap it on a Sinar X 4x5, for critical still life work (i.e. jewelry, watches, cosmetics, etc..) and being able to use precise tilt/shift movements, as opposed to a medium format body. The back is configured to fit a Hassy H mount, and I'm wondering what the best way to mount it to the sinar is.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:56:29 pm »

I wasn't aware that you could put it on the Sinar X.  I have an Aptus with the Mamiya mount and had to get an adapter ($795) from the Kapture Group in order to use it on my Sinar P2 camera. Maybe they have something for the X? Also, you'll either need to get a sliding back solution, or invest in a live preview dongle (my pref).

Dave

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:58:54 pm »

So I finally picked up an Aptus 75, primarily for in-studio still life work, and had a couple of questions. I decided that my main main benefit of going with a digital back is to be able to slap it on a Sinar X 4x5, for critical still life work (i.e. jewelry, watches, cosmetics, etc..) and being able to use precise tilt/shift movements, as opposed to a medium format body. The back is configured to fit a Hassy H mount, and I'm wondering what the best way to mount it to the sinar is.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Leaf makes a dedicated graflok adaptor for the h-mount, I use one with my valeo.

I think they cost around $500, keep in mind this is for use with live video.

Steve Hendrix at PPR can order one for you, Ill let him chime in with his contact info.

If you want photos of what the adapter looks like I can snap a few for you.

Zachary Goulko

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:04:11 pm »

Leaf makes a dedicated graflok adaptor for the h-mount, I use one with my valeo.

Steve Hendrix at PPR can order one for you, Ill let him chime in with his contact info.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure, that would be great. Much appreciated.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

pixjohn

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:20:30 pm »

I have a Leaf  dedicated graflok adaptor for the h-mount, I never used. I would be willing to sell it to you. I now shoot with a Cambo Wide DS. I think it cost more the $500? I think I paid $550?

Sure, that would be great. Much appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Zachary Goulko

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:27:24 pm »

Is live video the only way to go? Is it possible to get a sliding adapter?
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

yaya

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:43:06 am »

Is live video the only way to go? Is it possible to get a sliding adapter?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Congratulations Zachary!

There are several companies who make sliding backs with interchangeable back mounts that can be fitted to the Sinar:
[a href=\"http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item135.html]Cambo[/url]
KaptureGroup
Mergin-X
Linhof (scroll down about 1/2 a page)
Silvestri

To use your H mount back on a view camera (I'm assuming you have copal shutters) you will also have to buy a lens-to-back sync cable, available from any Leaf dealer.

Enjoy!

Yair

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:29:49 am »

Thanks for the prompt Kyle.

Well, I'm on vacation but it's a stay-at-home, babysitting the kitchen re-model sort of vacation. And here I am, back online.

As Yair mentioned, there are lots of sliding back options. I sell the KaptureGroup and Sinare versions the most. The customers I have who use the KG slider are perfectly happy with it, Keith has improved the machining and the ground glass in recent years.

The Sinar version costs twice as much as the KG (at least here in the US). But the advantages are tighter tolerance, it has a locking lever, and on a P2, it actually replaces the rear frame rather than fitting into it as the KG slider does. This reduces focus plane to optical plane by about half an inch, which can be critical if using wider lenses as the standards are restricted in how close they'll come together.

The KG slider will fit any Sinar view camera, the Sinar slider will only fit a Sinar with a removable rear frame, so not an F or X.

Zachary, for critical still shots in controlled lighting, you cannot beat having the Leaf Live Video. It may take some time to get used to, but once you do, you'll never go back. Being able to view full screen 100% detail for focus, and the ability to compose in (near) real time, manipulate grid and layout overlays is great. And the focusing accuracy will be dead-on as it focuses directly on the sensor itself, and that's what you're seeing.

Personally I would prefer Live Video with a slider, sometimes I like using the ground glass just to rough focus, but I always finish with the Live Video.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:30:27 am by pprdigital »
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Zachary Goulko

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 09:20:45 am »

Thanks for the prompt Kyle.

Well, I'm on vacation but it's a stay-at-home, babysitting the kitchen re-model sort of vacation. And here I am, back online.

As Yair mentioned, there are lots of sliding back options. I sell the KaptureGroup and Sinare versions the most. The customers I have who use the KG slider are perfectly happy with it, Keith has improved the machining and the ground glass in recent years.

The Sinar version costs twice as much as the KG (at least here in the US). But the advantages are tighter tolerance, it has a locking lever, and on a P2, it actually replaces the rear frame rather than fitting into it as the KG slider does. This reduces focus plane to optical plane by about half an inch, which can be critical if using wider lenses as the standards are restricted in how close they'll come together.

The KG slider will fit any Sinar view camera, the Sinar slider will only fit a Sinar with a removable rear frame, so not an F or X.

Zachary, for critical still shots in controlled lighting, you cannot beat having the Leaf Live Video. It may take some time to get used to, but once you do, you'll never go back. Being able to view full screen 100% detail for focus, and the ability to compose in (near) real time, manipulate grid and layout overlays is great. And the focusing accuracy will be dead-on as it focuses directly on the sensor itself, and that's what you're seeing.

Personally I would prefer Live Video with a slider, sometimes I like using the ground glass just to rough focus, but I always finish with the Live Video.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Yair and Steve for the detailed replies. I will probably go with a KG sliding adapter, and prompt for the Live View.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

BrianWoolf

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 02:16:45 pm »

I use a sinar p 4x5 with the Leaf Valeo 17wi with ‘Live View’ on a Phase FlexAdaptor sliding back.
I think your best way to go is the sliding adaptor and ‘Live View’. The graflok adaptor will only allow you to use ‘Live View’ and if you need to use your groundglass, you must remove the graflok from the back of your camera and re-attach your groundglass, then back again to use the digital back.
If you have never seen ‘Live View” before - think of the green night vision films without the green, it is coarse, grainy and harsh, but it works tremendously well in achieving critical focus, every time. It also has a two or three second delay as the image is continuously sent to the computer. It is possible to use only ‘live view’ (without a sliding back) but you would have to get used to it and the delay. I use ‘Live View’ as a focusing tool, perfering to compose on the sliding back’s groundglass and using the tethered image on the computer screen for set/product adjustments.
You can pick up used Sliding Backs - the diffuclt part is getting the right adaptor. I would avoid getting one with the wrong adaptor and trying to switch it for the right one later, it could be a lot more difficult than anticipated. It would vary by the sliding back you purchased, some might be easy, some difficult.
Brian

pixjohn

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 06:48:32 pm »

I only use live Video and have no problems at all. Why use a small ground glass when I have a full size monitor?

R(Vienna)

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:25 am »

I use the KG Sliding Adapter on my Sinar p2 4x5 and i am perfectly happy with it, only thing, i would get a magnifier or something similar for perfect sharpness... or live video as mentioned... for going outdoor the sliding adapter is the only thing to go i think

hope that helps

robb

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:39:38 am »

I use the KG Sliding Adapter on my Sinar p2 4x5 and i am perfectly happy with it, only thing, i would get a magnifier or something similar for perfect sharpness... or live video as mentioned... for going outdoor the sliding adapter is the only thing to go i think

hope that helps

robb
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214578\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gents,

Any advise on what can be good magnifier for working outdoors with a sliding adapter? I am researching on using a 4x5 for my Aptus 65 for landscape photography. My thinking is on that it would be good to have a magnifying hood for composition and preliminary focus, then maybe a 6x - 8x magnifier for critical focus. Any experiences?

As for sliding adapter I am looking at the MerginX from Nexor here in Hong Kong. B.t.w. Nexor is selling Leaf in Mainland China.

Thanks.

Regards
Anders

pixjohn

Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 01:08:24 pm »

I use live video out doors all the time. All you need to do is place a cheap 4x nd filter doubled upped  over the lens.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Aptus 75 and Sinar 4x5
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:48:41 am »

I use a Cambo with my Aptus 75 and use a hood and magnifier that comes with their sliding back. I do a lot of landscape work and it works very well.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up