Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review Leaf AFi 7 system  (Read 6189 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:40:49 pm »

For the people who like to read it:

http://www.doorhof.nl/blog/index.php?topic=1847.0

It will be updated in the coming days/week, this is day one.

Greetings,
Frank

BobDavid

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:25:48 pm »

For the people who like to read it:

http://www.doorhof.nl/blog/index.php?topic=1847.0

It will be updated in the coming days/week, this is day one.

Greetings,
Frank
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice review, Frank. Have you ever shot with a Hasselblad H?

Frank Doorhof

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:53:40 am »

Hi,
Thanks.

I did briefly a few years ago, it was my first experience with MF digital.
At the moment I don't think I would choose the Hasselblad system, I don't want a closed system, and I still want to be able to shoot some film.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:17:02 am »

What do you mean closed system and not being able to use film? Buy a CFII & H2F and you have almost all the freedom you could possibly imagine, including other digital backs, other cameras as well as film.

Yes, the H3 line us closed for other digital backs but Hasselblad is more than just the H3.

I can imagine the H system might not be your cup of tea for more than one reason but plainly stating it is closed and not for film is simply not correct and really incomplete.

Now, I am off to read your impression of the Afi7, which is about as closed as the H if you would use the same view.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:18:29 am by Dustbak »

Frank Doorhof

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:23:55 am »

Well ok the H2 is an option but not if you want to keep up to date as far as I understand.
The Leaf Afi gives me the option to shoot film also.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:31:07 am »

What do you mean not being able to keep up-to-date? The H2F is simply a current line that gets updated. Sofar Hasselblad has more than just the H3 line. The H2F is running alongside the H3 line as is the CF line of digital backs.

Now the H3 is the integrated version of the MF DSLR where the CF & H2F are the modular & film setup. A bit like the Afi being the integrated version of Leaf where they also have backs for other types of cameras.

The difference is that with the CF you can use adapterplates to mount the same back on various camera systems. The only other brand that has that option is Sinar.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:32:01 am by Dustbak »

yaya

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 04:56:46 am »

What do you mean not being able to keep up-to-date? The H2F is simply a current line that gets updated. Sofar Hasselblad has more than just the H3 line. The H2F is running alongside the H3 line as is the CF line of digital backs.

Now the H3 is the integrated version of the MF DSLR where the CF & H2F are the modular & film setup. A bit like the Afi being the integrated version of Leaf where they also have backs for other types of cameras.

The difference is that with the CF you can use adapterplates to mount the same back on various camera systems. The only other brand that has that option is Sinar.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray have you had any experience yet with the H2F and either your CF or any other back? Any insights that you can share?

I am sure Frank wouldn't mind testing and reviewing this combo if he was given an opportunity...

Yair

Frank Doorhof

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 05:35:49 am »

I did not do my homework on the hasselblad I see

I thought they were aiming on the H3D series at the moment, sorry.
I'm always willing to test things of course.

stewarthemley

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:47:49 am »

Thanks for the review, Frank. I like your "real world" approach. (Much like Michael's.)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 06:56:45 am »

Ray have you had any experience yet with the H2F and either your CF or any other back? Any insights that you can share?

I am sure Frank wouldn't mind testing and reviewing this combo if he was given an opportunity...

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not yet I am saving to upgrade my 384 and have just invested in a big bunch of glass. The H2F including the HC28 is next on my list (which still seems to be growing   ). To hear my own experience with the CF/H2F combo you have to wait a couple of months.

Naturally I do have experience with the CF and several other systems amongst them the H2. Experiences most pleasant, some of them less (but that goes for every system you use I guess).

No worries Frank, I notice even people that use the H3 are not familiar with that part of the Hasselblad family. Sort of the black sheep or forgotten son. I think not that many CF backs are being or have been sold of which now people are using the H2F. I also think that not many people will buy it solely to shoot film. This might be the reason I haven't heard of any first hand experience.

BTW. You are more than welcome to test it as soon as I have a H2F. I am a very bad Blog writer so not a chance I will ever write down my experiences (besides the posts I make on various fora).

Can we finally meet as well
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:54:07 am by Dustbak »

markowich

• http://www.peter-markowich.net
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:03:33 am »

i was told by the hasselblad rep in austria that the H2F does not work with the Leaf and Phase DBs. he said 'F' means film. anyone there with first hand experience?
peter

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:11:22 am »

Incorrect. It will work with 3rd party backs but only with sync cable (which I agree stinks and could for my part mean as much as it doesn't work). It will work normally with CF backs including the HC28. This is according to Hasselblad's statements.

The fact it does work normally with the CF indicates it could work with 3rd party backs as well provided they know the electronic interface.

I will let you know as soon as I have first hand experience.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:12:50 am by Dustbak »

BJNY

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 08:19:02 am »

Incorrect. It will work with 3rd party backs but only with sync cable (which I agree stinks and could for my part mean as much as it doesn't work). It will work normally with CF backs including the HC28. This is according to Hasselblad's statements.

The fact it does work normally with the CF indicates it could work with 3rd party backs as well provided they know the electronic interface.

I will let you know as soon as I have first hand experience.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

markowich is correct.
I wanted to get a back-up body to use with a Leaf back,
but the dealer had tried without success "No Digital Back"
Please let us know if you should find out otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:35:35 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 08:28:14 am »

markowich is correct.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure whether you have first hand experience, I have not at this moment. Not sure which part markowich is right in your opinion. The H2F can be used with the CF. It is not solely for film even if that is where the F stands for.

[a href=\"http://www.hasselblad.com/downloads/datasheets/h-system/technical-info---h2f.aspx]http://www.hasselblad.com/downloads/datash...info---h2f.aspx[/url] (read the H2F spec sheet).

Whether it can be used with 3rd party backs is not in there. The only thing I have always understood it can but with sync cable (that pretty much works on anything), which I will repeat is for me pretty much the same as it cannot.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:32:05 am by Dustbak »

BJNY

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 08:36:05 am »

It was my hope as well that third party backs would work with a sync cable,
but I just re-confirmed this with my dealer over the telephone that it's not possible.

markowich is correct.
I wanted to get a back-up body to use with a Leaf back,
but the dealer had tried without success "No Digital Back"
Please let us know if you should find out otherwise.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure whether you have first hand experience, I have not at this moment. Not sure which part markowich is right in your opinion. The H2F can be used with the CF. It is not solely for film even if that is where the F stands for.

[a href=\"http://www.hasselblad.com/downloads/datasheets/h-system/technical-info---h2f.aspx]http://www.hasselblad.com/downloads/datash...info---h2f.aspx[/url] (read the H2F spec sheet).

Whether it can be used with 3rd party backs is not in there. The only thing I have always understood it can but with sync cable (that pretty much works on anything), which I will repeat is for me pretty much the same as it cannot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213874\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edit:  Quoted my earlier post
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:44:42 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 08:37:48 am »

For the Leaf I would indeed not choose to get a H2F. I am pretty sure you can get it to work with a sync cable but the thought only makes me almost throw up with disgust. I can understand your dealer doesn't want to sell you this.

At this stage the only option I see for people that want to use the H with 3rd party backs is to get a H1/H2.

I can tell you I will be really pissed off when I cannot mount my CF back on a H2F and use the HC28. I have been really looking forward to doing so. It is in the specsheets of Hasselblad, kind of hard to believe the reality would be different. That wouldn't be the first time ofcourse

Ah.. I just missed your last post. Ok. As soon as I get a H2F I will see if this is really the case. I can pretty much get a H2F safely. It is not rendered useless if I find out I cannot use it with a Leaf or other back besides the CF.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:49:49 am by Dustbak »

BobDavid

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 09:24:27 am »

I recently purchased a H2F to use with my CF 39MS. Before using the H2F I was using a Mamiya AFD. The main reason I purchased the H2F was for improved auto focus, brighter viewfinder, and for the waist level finder which I find useful for portratiture.

The H2F has exceeded my expectations. It is an exquisitely designed machine. It's also comparably priced to the new Mamiya AFD III.

The autofocus is spot on accurate and fast. It comes close to that of my Canon 5D. I've got to admit that the camera has exceeded my expectations.

Frank Doorhof

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 09:26:46 am »

Hi Dustbak,
Let me know when you have time and we try to do a meeting and compare notes and experiences, looks like fun.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 09:32:17 am »

I will but I have to make some money first so it will be somewhere around October I think.

Frank Doorhof

Review Leaf AFi 7 system
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 09:34:01 am »

No problem, looks like a date
If you're in the area before that let me know and we meet up anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up