Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss  (Read 7082 times)

canlogic

• http://
Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« on: August 07, 2008, 01:07:23 pm »

Just read about the new P6000, sounded real good until I read about this "new" raw format crap. Emailed Nikon to tell them what idiots they are but doubt it will do any good. Seems they don't want Mac users to buy one as the software is Windows based.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

amsp

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:33:15 pm »

Just read about the new P6000, sounded real good until I read about this "new" raw format crap. Emailed Nikon to tell them what idiots they are but doubt it will do any good. Seems they don't want Mac users to buy one as the software is Windows based.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213684\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah, WTF? seems to be the only reasonable reaction to that piece of info. What were they thinking?

stangold

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »

I was so looking forward to the P6000 until I read the strange RAW file system and no Mac software and if that was not enough to turn users off they are instituting a very modern means of connection, ETHERNET! WHAT are they thinking?!?!?  Nikon is usually so tuned in but this camera design is really out of touch with the market. Don't they remember the harsh words when they tried to make NEF a secret format. And there are so many nice features..... Too bad and I sold my Canon G9 in hopes of buying this camera when i read the initial spilled announcement. Guess I'll just have to keep looking. Canon shouldn't worry!

Stan Goldberg
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:48:10 pm by stangold »

gss

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:19:44 pm »

Miss hardly covers it.  This is like kicking the ball into your own goal with 1 min left to play.

While I am certainly not in the target demographic for this camera, this completely bizarre decision makes me quite uneasy in my decision to reinvest in Nikon by buying a D3 and a handful of lenses (with many more future lens purchases needed to fill holes in my 35mm lineup).

Nikon needs to come out with a press release stating that this will never happen with their pro-grade cameras.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:21:48 pm by gss »

Chris C

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:54:32 pm »

Miss hardly covers it.  This is like kicking the ball into your own goal with 1 min left to play.

While I am certainly not in the target demographic for this camera, this completely bizarre decision makes me quite uneasy in my decision to reinvest in Nikon by buying a D3 and a handful of lenses (with many more future lens purchases needed to fill holes in my 35mm lineup).

Nikon needs to come out with a press release stating that this will never happen with their pro-grade cameras.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What were they thinking????  They sure weren't using their heads!  Now I'm back to lusting over the LX3.

GlennP

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 06:22:43 pm »

Lets hope they put it all right with the P6100....you know, like reinstating NEF would be a good place to start.
Apart from the RAW format fiasco this is an interesting camera in my opinion...if it has the IQ. We will have to wait and see. ISO 64 ummm
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:23:41 pm by GlennP »
God bless

Glenn

mikeowen

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 06:41:23 pm »

It's surprising news, but everything Nikon has done in the last 3 years since I converted to Digital has been nothing but a disappointment.  The sad part is, they really do not care.  They don't care at all.  It's evident in their marketing, in their lies ("We see no compelling need for a full-frame sensor"), and in their customer service.  I am using a D200 and assorted lenses but my next camera is going to be by another camera company.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:41:57 pm by mikeowen »

GlennP

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 06:49:04 pm »

Mike,
You have obviously had some sort of bad experience with Nikon, but I really don't think you can call the D3/D700 cameras a disappointment.

The "no need for full frame" I think you will find was down to keeping the opposition guessing.
God bless

Glenn

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:47:14 pm »

It's surprising news, but everything Nikon has done in the last 3 years since I converted to Digital has been nothing but a disappointment. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WOW Mike! I think you may be disappointed with anything. I just had 8 of my auto racing images, taken with D3, blown up to 16 feet by 24 feet and printed on a large flatbed UV printer feet for display on the walls of a large corporation. Not to brag on anything but the D3 camera but I doubt you would be disappointed if you could see how well these images stood up to the huge up-res.

As far as the oddball RAW format, it is disappointing to me too but I will bet that everyone from Adobe to whoever will have a converter within a few days of delivery of this camera. It ain't rocket science to convert a RAW file.

JohnCote
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:48:22 pm by jcote »

CarlosDavid

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 03:52:33 pm »

The 6000 is a huge disappointment from Japan. Makes me wonder if they are really listening to anyone. Knowing Microsoft intimately tho,  it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft paid money upfront to have Nikon implement WIC,the amount probably covered all their development costs. Microsoft is desperate to get into imaging in a big way. If they can't do it legitimately, they'll use the back door and cash.

A BIOS revision could potentially implement DNG, thereby providing a tremendous save-face for the Japanese.

I waited and put off buying the G9 to see what Nikon would do, and now that I've seen the 6000, I've decided to stay with Canon for P&S ( I use a D200 & D70 for my artwork). So I'll wait for the G10 next month.

C.
PS: Let's hope they don't screw up the D3X
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:57:43 pm by CarlosDavid »

vandevanterSH

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 07:46:18 pm »

WOW Mike! I think you may be disappointed with anything. I just had 8 of my auto racing images, taken with D3, blown up to 16 feet by 24 feet and printed on a large flatbed UV printer feet for display on the walls of a large corporation. Not to brag on anything but the D3 camera but I doubt you would be disappointed if you could see how well these images stood up to the huge up-res.

As far as the oddball RAW format, it is disappointing to me too but I will bet that everyone from Adobe to whoever will have a converter within a few days of delivery of this camera. It ain't rocket science to convert a RAW file.

JohnCote
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's a much bigger problem than raw conversion.

"Thomas Knoll  - 8:19pm Aug 7, 08 PST (#4 of 9)        

WIC is Windows only.

Even on Windows, WIC is basically useless for Camera Raw/Lightroom type applications.

[a href=\"http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b61a1b]http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b61a1b[/url]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:46:39 pm by vandevanterSH »

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 09:38:15 pm »

It's a much bigger problem than raw conversion.

"Thomas Knoll  - 8:19pm Aug 7, 08 PST (#4 of 9)   

WIC is Windows only.

Even on Windows, WIC is basically useless for Camera Raw/Lightroom type applications.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b61a1b
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Vandevanter,

Please read on in the Adobe thread where Jeff Schewe writes:   

"Re-read what Thomas wrote...he ONLY said "WIC is basically useless for Camera Raw/Lightroom type applications". He did not say that Camera Raw/Lightroom applications could or would not be able to read the new raw format..."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will bet that there will be support for this file format in many other applications very quickly.

JC

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:39:46 pm »

They don't care at all.  It's evident in their marketing, in their lies ("We see no compelling need for a full-frame sensor"), and in their customer service.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's an urban myth. The official Nikon Japan position on FF has always been that the were considering the option and would release something when the technology would be ready. They were speaking not just of the sensor, but of the system. Meaning wide glass.

Now, if you want to deprive yourselve from the option of using products from Nikon, that is of course your own decision.  I wonder if you will still feel the same on Aug 28th.

Cheers,
Bernard

vandevanterSH

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 11:26:20 pm »

Vandevanter,

Please read on in the Adobe thread where Jeff Schewe writes:   
I will bet that there will be support for this file format in many other applications very quickly.

JC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you think Thomas Knoll is playing "corporate chicken" with Nikon?

Steve

ysengrain

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 02:41:31 am »

Hi,

WIC is Vista only. Could it be an attempt for our so dear µsoft to try killing Adobe Lightroom by a long-teethed-guy's agreement ?

GlennP

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 09:46:11 am »

That's an urban myth. The official Nikon Japan position on FF has always been that the were considering the option and would release something when the technology would be ready. They were speaking not just of the sensor, but of the system. Meaning wide glass.

Now, if you want to deprive yourselve from the option of using products from Nikon, that is of course your own decision.  I wonder if you will still feel the same on Aug 28th.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

August 28th.....ummmm
God bless

Glenn

GlennP

Nikon P6000 Hit or Miss
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 09:47:59 am »

Hi,

WIC is Vista only. Could it be an attempt for our so dear µsoft to try killing Adobe Lightroom by a long-teethed-guy's agreement ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214050\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WIC is implemented in XP SP3 and I believe in SP2 via NET3
God bless

Glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up