Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 2.0 - Interminent Hungs  (Read 29266 times)

gardnerdw

Lightroom 2.0 - Interminent Hungs
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 11:25:04 am »

It appears I have solved the problems with delays when adding key words to pictures..  I deleted LR 1.4 but this did not help. In My Pitures, Lightroom2 folder, there were two catalogs one used by LR2, but the other was being used by LR 1.4.  When I changed the extension of the LR 1.4 so it was no longer recognized as a catalog, my keywording became instantaneous.
I suspect the LR 2 is updating both catalogs and may be calling a LR 1.4 module.  That would explain why task manager sees two LR programs running when it slows down.
I would be interested if any one else finds this as a fix
Dave

rdonson

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 11:48:10 am »

Dave,

Thanks for the neat idea.  I'm testing it now.  No problems since moving the LR1 catalog I had.  If I get a hang I'll check Task Mgr again.
Regards,
Ron

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 04:05:07 am »

It appears I have solved the problems with delays when adding key words to pictures..  I deleted LR 1.4 but this did not help. In My Pitures, Lightroom2 folder, there were two catalogs one used by LR2, but the other was being used by LR 1.4.  When I changed the extension of the LR 1.4 so it was no longer recognized as a catalog, my keywording became instantaneous.
I suspect the LR 2 is updating both catalogs and may be calling a LR 1.4 module.  That would explain why task manager sees two LR programs running when it slows down.
I would be interested if any one else finds this as a fix
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If LR2 is updating a LR1.4 catalog that in any case was not defined as a working catalog to the program, then this is a MAJOR screwup. I find it hard to believe that this is the case.

Two instances of LR being shown sometimes on the task manager is true though. I notice that when I get these (sometimes terminal) hangups but I can't say if this behaviour (two instances of the app being shown) is normal or not. I suspect it is normal.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:07:44 am by NikosR »
Nikos

gardnerdw

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 09:17:30 am »

If LR2 is updating a LR1.4 catalog that in any case was not defined as a working catalog to the program, then this is a MAJOR screwup. I find it hard to believe that this is the case.

Two instances of LR being shown sometimes on the task manager is true though. I notice that when I get these (sometimes terminal) hangups but I can't say if this behaviour (two instances of the app being shown) is normal or not. I suspect it is normal.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am only speculating.  It is clear that changing the extension of the LR 1.4 catalog (which is in the LR 2 directory) does eliminate the problem.  
Rather than being a screw up, I wonder if it does it so both catalogs are kept up to date so you can continue to use LR 1.4 and have the same information.
Once again I am only speculating.
Dave

gardnerdw

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 09:21:16 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just checked task manager and when I add a keyword to a photo, LR 2 no longer opens two instances.
Dave

gardnerdw

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »

I just checked task manager and when I add a keyword to a photo, LR 2 no longer opens two instances.
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well after working great all day, the problem developed again so I guess that was not the problem.  
At present I am stumped.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
I do not understand why the problem is intermittent.
Dave

rdonson

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2008, 03:08:12 pm »

Dave,

I think at this point the only suggestion is to wait for Lightroom 2.1

I hope we don't have a long wait.  There are a number of bugs that need squashing.
Regards,
Ron

Markus Jais

• http://www.markusjaisphoto.com
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2008, 05:02:33 am »

Dave,

I think at this point the only suggestion is to wait for Lightroom 2.1

I hope we don't have a long wait.  There are a number of bugs that need squashing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218744\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A 2.1 update will probably follow pretty soon. First of all, they have to add support for the latest cameras like EOS 50D, Nikon D90, the upcoming Sony A900 and EOS 5D successor.
The 2.1 will also contain bug fixes for everything users found so far. I am sure of that.

Markus

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2008, 05:58:43 am »

I've been using 2.0 since it came out. The only problems that I have experienced on my MacPro 8-core are as follows:

1 - The random spinning beach ball during some operations that is annoying.

2 - When using the Tone Curve Target Button, the cursor does not revert back to a normal cursor. The only way that I found to turn the Target Button off is to click on another function like crop or clone and then click again on the same function. This restores the cursor that clicking on the image in the Develop module zooms in and out. I think that this is a bug.

3 - Not a problem with design, but a missing feature is soft proofing. With the cost of ink and media, soft proofing is an important feature to get an idea of what your print is going to look like when combining the selected paper profile and output sharpening.

Other than that, LR 2.0 is a great improvement over 1.4. Now I find myself using Photoshop CS3 less than 5% of the time for final prints.

Bud James
North Wales, PA

budjamesphotography.com
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:59:26 am by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2008, 01:57:25 pm »

Bud,

1. Will be fixed soon.
2. Not a bug. The TAT tool stays active by design, so you can do multiple operations with it. Click the Done button in the toolbar below the image when you're done with it, or switch to another tool.
3. Agree, it's missing, and it won't be part of any LR 2.x version.
Eric Chan

NikosR

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2008, 07:08:26 am »

I have to report that today I started using release candidate 2.1. So far, I have not been able to reproduce the problems I had and the program feels smoother. That's good news.

For those still trying out the program, be aware that RC1 will extend your trial period for another 30 days. Good one Adobe.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 07:09:13 am by NikosR »
Nikos

rdonson

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2008, 10:33:03 am »

Nikos, thanks for the report.  Its great to hear that they're making headway on the bugs.  What OS are you running on?
Regards,
Ron

NikosR

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2008, 02:12:46 pm »

Nikos, thanks for the report.  Its great to hear that they're making headway on the bugs.  What OS are you running on?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222868\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Both XP SP3 and OSX. Most of my problems were evident on XP SP3 but that doesn't mean a thing since it's XP that I make heavy use of LR on. My Mac is underpowered so sometimes I can't distinguish a problem from general sluggishness.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:15:44 pm by NikosR »
Nikos

vandevanterSH

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2008, 02:21:32 pm »

I just loaded the LR 2.1 release candidate and, at least on my MacPro, LR is much better behaved.  I use to see the "spinning wheel of death" all the time with 2.0; 2.1 much, much better.

Steve

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2008, 06:52:38 am »

I have had some hangs too. Mostly when working on high res film scans, big files. It just sometimes sits there and dies!

Even pre rendering 1:1 previews didnt help.

rdonson

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2008, 03:29:57 pm »

Quote from: barryfitzgerald
I have had some hangs too. Mostly when working on high res film scans, big files. It just sometimes sits there and dies!

Even pre rendering 1:1 previews didnt help.

The hangs haven't gone away for me either.  I had 1,000 images from a 1D2 and 5D to go through so I bit the bullet and tried RC 2.1 to see if it would fix the hangs.  No joy.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2008, 10:18:01 am »

Well..... 2.1 RC1 has been around for about a month now.  I'm wondering if there's going to be an RC2 or perhaps a real 2.1 soon.  RC1 works fine on my laptop with no hangs but not on my desktop machine.

Has anyone heard anything?
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up